I had a complete hysterectomy in 1981. My last seven blood test have came back abnormal and I've had a pap smear test done twice and the last on came back positive for cancer cells and the OBGYN wants to do a DNC and burn the cells and do a deeper biopsy what does this mean?

Hi Vickie,

Normally, with a complete hysterectomy the entire cervix and uterus are removed.  

A pap smear usually takes cells from the cervix.  A D&C usually refers to scraping the endometrium, the lining of the uterus.

It appears that they have done a smear of your vagina, that would remain after the hysterectomy, and found some abnormal cells.  They now want to do a biopsy, basically remove a tiny piece of tissue, to get a better look at these cells.  

Then they plan to burn the tissue to remove the area.

Without knowing your history and your current status this is only a guess.  Ask your Ob/Gyn or oncologist.  They SHOULD explain everything to you, in detail.  If they don't, get a second opinion.  

Good luck.  Keep us posted.