This was my 1st cross country race in 4 years since high school...I didn't do as well as I expected but I guess it was still decent for someone having little or no experience running offroad races plus I wasn't fully recovered from the hard workouts earlier in the week. The weather was surprisingly good...partly sunny yet cool at midday...I totally expected it to rain heavily since it was yesterday night. The race was small (~35 people) but highly competitive-most of the runners in the open men's division were from collegiate teams/clubs with only a handful of us being unattached. The open/collegiate men's event began at 12:45 pm. The course was on a mix of surfaces: grass, wood chips, gravel and dirt and it was undulating which meant lots of uphills and downhills (I'm glad I did my hillwork over the summer...) The gun sounded and the pack bolted off around the playing field, through a small, muddy ditch, and into the woods. The first few kilometres felt ok...there were a few small hills at first, none too difficult although many of the collegiate men were already out of sight after the first mile and a half. More hills came up including a steep one just after the halfway mark. Still felt strong 2/3s into the race..But there came a painful side stitch on my right side after the 3/4 mark...the pain intensified especially during the last major hill..felt my pace slowing down quite a bit..Surprisingly I managed to run through it (even though I felt like walking at one point) and the pain was gone in the last mile...Finished in a time of 26:53...not too great considering I was aiming for a 25:XX but I guess it was ok for starters..Position wasn't great either..27 out of 34-35...winning time was 20:53.. Ill post results once they are up..
On the plus side, it was a nice change from regular road races...I still had fun at the same time despite the painful experience.

Good effort Tim. Chalk it up as a learning experience.

Nice job! :banana:

Way to go bud... :cheers:

That's 6:27 pace across 4.163 miles for you metric-haters. Nice job Tim! That's a pretty durn good time for offroad over that distance.

nicely done.

very well done Tim.

sounds like a very tough course...
(like an ankle sprain waiting to happen)

way to finish strong.

Good comeback !

that's impressive first trail race, Tim. Trail races are such a challenge, but quite an experience!

Tim, give yourself some big kudos buddy. Racing against collegiate runners is putting yourself in the lions' den. And you came out very decent especially considering you "trained through" this one. Good job my man!