I know it's normal to bleed the first few times you have sex, but is it normal for the bleeding to last days? I don't feel any discomfort, so I don't think he injures me. Also, when will I be able to have sex without bleeding?

Women experience bleeding after sex when something is wrong.

Bleeding after intercourse usually lasts for just that one time or maybe for the next one if the hymen has been ruptured completely during the first sexual contact.

Any additional bleeding indicates that a gynecologist should have a look at your inner side and check for possible growths or inflammations.

Appointment at the gynecologist is no big deal. It could be a bit uncomfortable but I usually just relax and imagine something nice. I won’t tell you what! Don’t hesitate to go! The sooner you have it checked and treated, the sooner will you be able to have painless and bloodless intercourse.

Have you started taking birth control pills maybe or are on any medications?

I would have no problem going to the gynecologist except that I do NOT want my mother to find out I've become sexually active. Also, I'm not sure how to go about that process and do not have any money to go to the gynecologist in the first place. It might be different over here from over there cause I live in Puerto Rico...now I'm scared...HELP!

Come on, don’t be scared! Even if you have developed any growths, it is not an emergency, and you have time to think your visit to a gynecologist.

How old are you anyway? These growths usually arise in childbearing age but I would certainly have them checked.

Aren’t you covered by some kind of insurance from your mother’s work or aren’t your parents paying for some kind of medical insurance? How does it work in your country?
You should ask questions about this.

You shouldn’t be paying for these visits unless you want to see a private doctor.
There are so many private gynecologist’s offices and you could talk to your boyfriend about both of you getting some money and having this checked.

Don’t worry too much, take it easy and every thing will be just fine.
Another thing I have just read today. If you have hormonal imbalance and low levels of estrogen, your vaginal wall id the lining that covers the inside of vagina could be sensitive and thin and therefore bleed due to pressure from penis. This too is not such a big deal and can be taken care of.

If you would like to talk, feel free!

Quote:

Thanks for replying! This has been puzzling me a lot. I'm 17 years old and just recently became sexually active. I don't really know how the whole insurance things works, but nor do I want my parents to find out I've become sexually active. I'm not sure if there's really anything wrong, because my boyfriend assured me it was normal and that it was nothing that hadn't happened to him before. The last time I had sex I bled afterward for pretty much the rest of the day and then stopped bleeding the following day; previous times I had bled for a couple of days afterward. If you could guide me further in this subject it would be great help.

Hi there! I completely understand that your don’t want your parents to find out about your sexual life.
If you had a cough and your chest would hurt….which doctor would you see? Would you need your mother to go with you or could you do it on your own? The reason I am asking is that I want to know if you could go to a gynecologist on your own without your mother knowing about it.
General practitioner ( GP) is usually separated from the gynecologist and you should be able to see gynecologist without seeing a GP first.

Your boyfriend is wrong, bleeding after sex shouldn’t be happening. Like I have already tried to explain, girls bleed only for the first and maybe 2nd time but it is just a couple of spots straight after sex and nothing else.

It could be nothing special but I want you to check it. You are too young to go through any complications, so it would be best just to check this out and be safe then. I can’t tell you like this because you need to be checked inside.

Do you use protection during sex? How old is your boyfriend? Is he supposedly sexually experienced?

Next time you write to me, please tell me if you used any protection or not? Certain sexually transmitted diseases can cause bleeding after sex as well. These include Chlamydia and gonorrhea. Tell me if you experience any additional symptoms.

Do you have any excessive vaginal discharge?

I have used protection each and every time I have had sex, with my 20-year-old boyfriend who does have experience. I am not feeling any additional symptoms, but I would like to know what you mean by excessive vaginal discharge.

If I were to go to the doctor, I would need to go to the pediatrician, since I am underage and therefore still need to receive the care of a pediatrician under any medical circumstance. I know my sisters went to a planned parenthood program where they got checked by a gynecologist through the university, so I should have to ask.

Thanks for all your continued help!

Can you talk to your sister about your problems? She may be able to help you regarding where to go and who to see.

Excessive vaginal discharge would be…..a substance from your vagina that may be white, yellow, and colours in between….that leaves marks on your panties, has been present for a longer time…may be sticky but not necessarily and may have an odor

Women experience more discharge for example during ovulation, so sometimes excessive discharge may not indicate anything but sometimes it can show the present of yeast infection for example. But if you have used protection every time, then you have nothing to worry about.

Anyway, back to your real problem….By the way, did you have sex again since we started talking? Did the same thing (bleeding) happen again?

I did some more research and I don’t want to scare you but I found 10 possible reasons for bleeding after intercourse and some of them could be dangerous.

1. Cervical dysplasia, which can be pretty dangerous as it may represent the precancerous stage. In dysplasia, some of the cells in the cervix (the beginning of the uterus) start to change. At risk are those women who have multiple sexual partners, sex before age 18, and childbirth before age 16.
2. Chlamydia, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, which are all sexually transmitted diseases and treatable. Chlamydia is the most common but if you had used condom, your risk is small. However, sexually transmitted diseases can be transmitted through unprotected oral sex as well.

3. cervical polyps, uterine polyps and fibroids-all of them being growths that grow out of the mucuos layers.

4. endometriosis-happens when the uterus lining grows somewhere else but not in the uterus. You would probably experience other symptoms if you suffered from this disorder. Women have severe pain during periods with this disorder.

5. Yeast infection that can be transmitted both by sex but also from condom use and overgrowth of the friendly bacteria that already lives in the vagina.

You see, these are some of the possible reasons, some of them may be dangerous. This is why I want you to have yourself checked as soon as possible, to get your mind off this problem and so that you can go an early treatment if any of these disorders are present. All of them are treatable, except endometriosis maybe.

Keep me posted! Good luck!

hi..my bf and I tried to have sex for the first time. It was very hard and painful and we couldnt do it. So we stopped in between. But from then on, I see drops of blood for the past 4 days and I am very worried about it. I have regular periods and never had any bleeding in between like this. My periods is due only after 2 weeks.

I read through your post and found that there could be many reasons. I see these spots on and off. So I am not sure why this is happening. I am planning to go to a gynac soon but can you advice me on this.

Thank you for your help.

Lily.

hi, my boyfriend and i tried to have sex also but it hurt too much so we stopped. Im not even sure that he got in all the way. Afterward i was bleeding. I'm also somewhat sore. It was both of our first times and we used protection. I cant go to a gyno because im only 17 and i dont want my parents to find out. I dont know if my hymen is irregular or if this is normal? please help

i also just had sex for the first time. it hurt for about the first five minutes, and i did end up bleeding, a lot. from what ive heard, however, its normal when its the first time, or the second. now, i have had it for several days after, but it seems more like my period than blood that was coming out from the beginning. it just means that he was a but rough, or you werent used to the size of him, or he was rough, and caused some irritation on the lining. also the first time it breaks the skin that makes you a virgin inside you. im on the pill, and neither of us had an std. THOUGH ON THE PILL, YOU CAN SPOT. reminder there.

if your'e one of these people that panics, like i do, take a deep breath, and relax. its now been my fourth day, and its stopped. just about like a cycly would. so girls, give it a little time before your trying to rush out and let the whole world know you did it with your sweety. dont rush to a gynacologist.

i have a theory that if it lasts, your body may be cleansing its self of the man's presence, or his presence may have just activated the cleansing its self. (you're period) DONT PANIC i've heard it happens. if you dont have abnormal discharg within the month, and it eventually stops, you should be just fine. use a pad.

Hi, im 18years old and have just lost my virginity to my boyfriend. He's not a virgin himself, but knows i am so is very gentle. After having sex for the first time, i bled a little but knew it was normal. when we have sex, we have it 3 or 4 times on the same day. We have had sex about 10 times in about 3weeks. It has been the tenth time and im still bleeding. It is only a little bit, but the worst part is that it is so painful to go to the toilet, and when i think i need to go, nothing comes out, maybe a little blood. But the pain is unberable... please help!!

That sounds more like a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) or bladder infection. They're very common in women and having sex can trigger one, especially if you do it more than once without peeing in between to cleanse any bacteria from the area (for example, if he was touching you, or fingering you a bit hard or something). Nothing to worry about really, just need to go to a doctor and get an antibiotic. But, the longer you wait the more serious it could become.

for the girls who had sex for the first time with a lot of pain and experiences spotting, you may have been slightly torn or ripped. This happened to me. There was very very little blood though, but it lasted a few days

hey, it seems like you know a lot so.. i'd like to know your opinion. okay so, the first time i had sex was about 3 weeks ago, it was painful and i bleeded a lot. but, i understand that's normal for a first time. then, the next day we were going to have sex, but it was so painful, he penetrated one time and i asked him to stop. then i went to the bathroom and noticed i had bleeded.. they were just spots. today this happened again, he penetrated one time and i had to ask him to stop because of the pain... then i went to the bathroom and had the same spots. i think i didn't lubricated enough, and it was just rough. just like the girl that started posting; i'm 17 years old, i lost my virginity with my 20 year old boyfriend (who's experienced), we used protection every time and i DON'T want my mom to find out. oh! and i'm from puerto rico (lol). i'm really scared because everywhere i search it says the bleeding may be caused by an STD, etc. i'd really like to go to the gynecologist but i can't tell my mom. since this may be caused by not enough lubrication, should i try having sex with lubricant before i tell anyone? and should i tell my boyfriend about this? i'd appreciate your help. %-)

ok so how much are you supposed to bleed after you've had sex, if you've been fingered alot b4 and once you bled????????