Hello, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with the disease that I have never heard about before. It is called legionnaire disease and it is caused by legionella. My friend has some sort of pneumonia. I would like to know if this is a serious condition or not. I hope someone will help me.

Hi, there. Legionella pneumophila indeed causes legionnaire disease. It is characteristic for people who are already immune compromised. It means that they have weakened immune system. You haven’t mentioned whether this is your friend’s case. Legionella pneumonia can be a serious condition. The death rate can vary between 5 and 30%. If it is treated on time with antibiotics, then it should have a good outcome. I hope your friend will manage. Bye!

Hello, everyone. My friend had Legionella pneumophila few years ago. I must admit that he was in tough condition. He was hospitalized and received a lot of antibiotics. However, he managed to survive. I have also heard about high death rate. I was scared then for his health. I suggest you to be strong and optimistic. You can consult your friend’s doctor if you need more info. Bye!