I recently have installed air-conditioner in my home and also at about the same time I started coughing and simply feel ill. My neighbor says that I might be having pneumonitis caused by air-conditioner. So is it possible getting this pneumonitis because of air-conditioner? I really feel ill and would like to hear something about pneumonitis and how it can be treated.

Yes it is possible that some allergen from air-conditioner have caused you pneumonitis. I know it for I had pneumonitis for the same reason. It is said that prolonged exposure to allergens and usually it is organic dust, may cause pneumonitis which provoke acute lung disease. I had cough problem, I stayed out of breath and even had a fever and just like you was feeling really ill and those are actually the symptoms of acute pneumonitis. And I was advised by my doc to avoid being in air-conditioned room for the long exposure to these allergens may cause this acute pneumonitis to turn into chronic pneumonitis. And again the chronic pneumonitis may cause pulmonary fibrosis which I think may not be cured totally. Symptoms of chronic pneumonitis are much worse-dry cough, breatlesness, and appetite and weight loss. And also chronic form of pneumonitis may affect stronger lung inflammation so it is usually treated with some type of steroid drugs. Anyway I’ve solved this problem by avoiding exposure to the allergen so my advice is that you take out your air-conditioner or at least avoid being in air-conditioned room.