Hi, I am 54 years old male and I am suffering from acute bronchitis. I am constantly coughing and spiting mucus. Also I feel weakness and I have fever. I went to see my doctor and he told me that I am suffering from acute bronchitis. I would like to know if this acute bronchitis is contagious.

Hi, bronchitis is inflammation of air ways in the lungs. It may be caused by different agents like bacterial and viral. In these cases acute bronchitis is contagious. Also acute bronchitis may be caused by different allergens or some toxic substances. If these are causes than acute bronchitis is not contagious. Last two causes of bronchitis are far less often then viral and bacterial.

Hello there quent,

Since hercule has already answered your question there is no need to repeat all the facts that he has already mentioned. Because acute bronchitis is contagious it would be wise to avoid your family and friends for some time, so that they don’t get infected.

Also, it is possible that the cough continues for a whole month, this is the normal situation. But if the symptoms of bronchitis are not gone in a few months, than your doctor will diagnose you with the chronic bronchitis and this is different story.

You wil have to take care of yourself a little bit more, and in case you smoke you will have to stop. I hope that you will recover soon.

Thanx 4 good info. I left hospital 2day with acute bron. as my diagnosis. I have been sick 4 a month after working with people who are coughing and dont get med. attention. meds r expensive