Hi, my son is 21 years old, goes to gym regularly, and he’s always on some diets. I am happy that he cares about nutrition and health, but I’m afraid that he’s exaggerating. Could he overdose on vitamins?

Hi, I have the same habits and interests as your son. My parents are scared that I will overdose on vitamins, and they’re saying that I am obsessed with nutrition and workout. However, I don’t understand why do they think so. They should be happy that I’m trying hard to be strong and healthy, instead of giving me lectures about it. I am not on drugs, I’m not taking steroids, I’m not drinking or smoking…and their still not satisfied! Well, I don’t care. Yes, I’m taking vitamins, but I will never overdose because I’m not stupid. I know exactly how much is recommended and what is the limit. Isn’t that what doctors recommend? I am also eating healthy foods with lots of vitamins, fibers and proteins, and I’m avoiding bad cholesterol, fried meat and candies. If your son is doing all those things, I don’t understand why aren’t you happy about it.

Hmmm the guy above is defensive... most people are when you question their lifestyle... Anyway, I too take vitamins and although I feel fine ... I've recently been worrying that I take too many.

All in all YES you can overdose on vitamins.

Put that question in a search engine... you will see.

Read up on symptons and make a note ... just to have them handy ...it can hurt to be cautious.

i dont think thats right
if u take to much vitamin c your system will flush it out before you overdose. and u just pee it out. but no u wont go on the ground and start convulsing u should take the right amounts though incase you imunesystem starts to depend on it some how.

You can indeed overdose on vitamins.
Iron when taken in large amounts *cannot* just be flushed out through your urine. It can actually cause internal bleeding, headaches, nausea, constipation and myriad of other symptoms.
If your son takes a standard multivitamin than he should take one a day, and not mix with other vitamins. Your body can only take so many of each kind of vitamin, some can be flushed out, and others can't.
GNC sells vitamin packets that you take daily, and contain everything you'll need. They offer a ton of different options for everyone from pregnant women, to active adults, to seniors. I'd recommend suggesting to him that he keep a close track of how much of each vitamin he's ingesting daily and perhaps using a monday-sunday pill box to keep track and make sure he doesn't take too many.

Water soluble vitamins - such as the B group vitamins and vitamin C - cannot be stored by the body to any great extent, so if you take in more than your body needs, they are simply excreted. However, the fat soluble vitamins A and D and E can accumulate in the body, but pose no danger to your health if consumed within the safe upper limits indicated for them. The exception is in pregnancy, when large amounts of vitamin A may pose a risk to the developing infant.

If you suspect that you're taking too much of a vitamin or mineral, don't stop completely. Nutrition experts suggest cutting back to about half of your current dosage. Your body has adjusted itself to handle a massive dose, so if you stop altogether, it could trigger a deficiency.

Too much of any one thing is definitely not welcome by our bodies.. including vitamins.

It is possible to overdose, but it would be easier to answer your question if I knew exactly what he is taking. Any idea?