Do we get enough vitamins in the average diet or should we be taking vitamin supplements

Is your average diet Coke and potato chips?

I take a multi-vitamin everyday and then some extra Vitamin C and Vitamin E. I can post specific amounts later if you're interested.

Close, my diet is sunflower seeds and tonic water.

How much vit E and why??

I take a boatload of supplements. It's well known that the US RDA's are extremely conservative and represent the low end of normal at best.

I take a multi, 400IU Vitamin E (helps the cysts), garlic (antiinfective properties), silmaryin (also called milk thistle, liver purifer), 1000mg Vitamin C, a 50mg B complex, fish oil (high in Omega 3 fatty acids which are good for your heart), L-glutamine (aids in muscle recovery from exercise), glucosamine/chondroitin (good for your joints), and on a two week on two week off rotation, echinacea and goldenseal, which are immune system supports. I also take calcium at night because in addition to the obvious, it helps me sleep. I need the extra anti-infectives and immune support stuff because of the CFIDS, so my case might be a little different. Although I have two friends who swear by the immune system stuff during marathon training because your system takes such a beating.
When I am in heavier training I also take potassium because I tend to get leg cramps if I don't.

I take a High Potency MV as well as a 1000 mg Calcium supplement. I think I get enough through my diet but the MV and Calcium are just an extra in case I fall short.

1 multi-vitamin.

I take a MV out of habit, but I think I would be fine without it. I try to get plenty of fruits, veggies, protein and whole grains. I think if you eat a sensible diet, you will not need a multi-vitamin.

Milk, soy milk, cereal and other foods we now eat are vitamin enriched, anyway.

I GNC Mega for Women, and I really notice a difference when I am taking them regularly. I think our produce and fruit is so poor from all the soil depletion that we really do need to supplement.

ABSOLUTELY. 

There is no more nutrients in our soil anymore. Therefore our foods is empty of its vitamins & minerals. 

Take some good sea salt in your water and take the best mulit vitamin you can get your hands on! Thats what i do. & I'm a machine!!!! ( as is I'm healthiest I've ever been!)