I had complete thyroidectomy last year and ever since then I’ve been switching medications and their dosages, currently I’m in Synthroid 125. The problem is, during the past year, I’ve gained over 50 lbs and if anything, I’ve been eating far healthier than before the procedure. My blood work shows that all my thyroid levels are within normal range so I really wouldn’t like to switch over medications, but I also can’t seem to lose even a single pound. Besides eating less – which is something I already do – is there anything that might help weight loss after the total thyroidectomy? Again, my T4 levels are normal and I’m feeling generally OK, except that this weight is causing me to become more depressed, too. Any advice or your experience is much appreciated.

Meg

I have a friend who has hypothyroidism and she has a serious problem with weight gain.  She is constantly depressed about this.  She has a healthy diet as well as essentially prescribed by her doctor.  She's on a low carb diet.  Nevertheless she still has problems.  We worked together on this and I got her to exercise with me.  We started off at 3 times a week.  We did Monday, Wednesdays and Saturdays.  Now we are exercising everyday for one hour.  We alternate riding bicycle one day and then aerobic exercises the next.  Both of these forms of exercise burn a lot of calories.  She has been able to reduce her weight by 40 pounds and shes almost where she needs to be.  Exercise will increase your metabolic rate and help you burn calories.  I'm not so sure your meds can actually do this at least not on their own. See if you can find someone to exercise with and see if this doesn't work for you.  Exercise is always easier if you have a buddy with you.  I find I like biking better because it's easier to do than aerobics. 

i have total thyroidectomy for almost a year.. i do zumba to maintain my weight. try it.. it helps a lot. thanks