I had a total thyroidectomy a little over 2 years ago. After my surgery my weight maintained ( I was always between 115-118lbs and I'm 5'3") but up until about 8 months ago, I've been gaining like crazy. I've gone from 118lbs to 134lbs!!! For no reason! Not acceptable! I eat very healthy, workout 4-5 days a week and I'm a dancer.. So this weight gain is affecting my career, as I need to look a "certain way" for my job as a performer. I've talked to my endo about this and he ran blood panels and says I'm not Hypo, if anything I'm getting too much Thyroid med and doesn't want to change a thing. Currently I'm taking 150mcg Synthroid 1x a day and 5mcg of Cytomel 2 x a day.. Nothing I do, is helping.. I feel lost.. The weight issue is not just a vanity thing, my career depends on it. I don't know what else to do.. Does anyone else have the same issue?? HELP :-(

I had my thyroidectomy 18yrs ago and have gone from 120 at 5'7" to 205lbs. No matter what I do I continue to gain weight. I have a protein shake for breakfast, egg beaters or steamed veggies for lunch and 6oz of either fish, chicken or lean pork with a veggie for dinner. No sauces, breads, cereals, rice or fruit since they all make me gain weight even faster.
I am so tired of doctors telling me my levels are normal and that I need to cut back on food and exercise more.
I know that I haven't been the same since having my thyroid removed and the medical profession has done nothing to help.
I wonder if there is something they're missing when treating patients after thyroidectomies.