i am a 19 year old male and i am way too skinny for my age. i weigh about 125 lbs. i was reading a little about the thyroidectomy latley, i was wondering if after the procedure it is easier to gain weight. any anser helps.

hi! i also have the same problem as you....i am a asian (chinese) 5'10 weighing 120lbs and i'm at 27yrs old...i went under thyroidectomy around 2005 september...still i am not gaining weight. im not giving you false hope but maybe its case to case basis...

i'am thinking of going to gym to work out (weight lifting) and take some bodybuilding supplements...see if i will gain some weight? will it affect my thyroid gland to come back again?

Both of you should hold out on the weight gain supplements because befroe you know it, you may end up gaining too much weight and it will be almost impossible to get it off. I'm a 5'1" small framed woamn and I wiehg 160 lbs. now because of the surgery and the Synthroid my doc has me on. All he says is to eat right and exercise. I was doing that before i had my surgery! These Drs don't tell you all the problems you'll have after your surgery. I wish I hadn't had mine. I was better off before the surgery. Good luck.

It is sadly true. Before the thyroidectomy, the doctors don't tell you about weight gain, thinning, brittle hair, weakness, depression, inability to tolerate heat and the next moment feel like your extremities are freezing. I'm a 5'3" woman and am steadily gaining weight. I'm exactly two years post-thyroidectomy and now I weigh 165 pounds. I cry every time I look in the mirror. My amazing and wonderful husband is so supportive. He acknowledges me and understands my pain when I yell about how little I'm eating and how I'm exercising, but still gaining. I'm on 1 mcg Synthroid because all the doctors I've been to worship at the Synthroid altar.

It's Mary Susan again - just a correction - my Synthroid is 100 mcg or 0.1 milligrams. There has to be a doctor out there somewhere who can control him/herself from eyes glazing over and becoming robotic when they see my "within normal limits" lab numbers of T3, T4, etc. At that point they shut down and I might as well be talking to a brick wall about my symptoms.

Hello, I had a hemithyroidectomy 4wks ago and was going out of my mind about gaining weight etc? i just want you all to know out there that my results came back benign this week THANK GOD!!! I still dont know what it was but I have NOT gained weight as yet and am not on any meds!!! I am being really careful with what I eat as I was so scared by what I had read but due ti=o this I have actually lost weight. Has anyone else found that?? I jhust thought I should tell people as all I read was so negative it really scared me and so far I AM OK!!! Will let you know if things change? Emma.

The doctors lie, you lose your abiltiy to maintain your weight.  I am so sorry that I listened to the doctors.  Rememer that the

thyroid is not the cause, but the it is the sympton.

Hi I am so glad to see that someone is honest about weight gain - I had a total thryoidectomy for cancer 5 months ago and have already gained 10 kgs - I am horrified when I look in the mirror and not only feel depressed constantly, but no one told me about the depression, weakness, fatigue.

I am constantly hungry but trying to control my appetite so I can slow the weight gain down but nothing works - hate everything about this!

I also have gained weight. I was 108 day of surgery july of 2010 and now I'm at 134 and only 5'2 with a very petite build. So depressed and unhappy. I had a total thyroidectomy due to cancer. No matter how much I exciser or diet the weight just keeps creeping up and up. Doctor keeps changing my dose of synthroid. Is anyone else having better luck on a different medicine?

How have you lost weight ? And why aren t you on meds ?