I am two weeks postpartum and I am still bleeding red blood (by now it should at least be pink and watery) and it smells horribly.... no matter how much I wash! And now I have burning and iching too! Is this normal? What should I do? I am really worried that something may be wrong! This is my third child and I never had this problem with the other two!! Am I just over reacting or should I call my doctor or is there some thing I could do at home to take care of this????????

Hi there,
I had my 3rd child nearly 7 weeks ago and I had the same issue. It just stopped smelling really bad a couple of days ago, thank goodness. I had bright red bleeding on and off from about day 12 - day 24. It was really frustrating. I spoke to a nurse who said that I'm likely over-doing it (which I didnt' feel like I was) and told me to try to rest more (ha ha, rest with 3 kids). I tried to take her advice and it did settle down. I now have developed some reddish brown spotting today which is bugging me, but I've read in many places that you can spot up to 2 months so I'm going to try to not worry. The itching part of your symptoms may be something to pay attention to. That is a bit out of the scope of "normal", but since you're only 2 weeks pp it may just be the blood irritating you down there or perhaps over-zealous washing?

As far as the odor, I am surpised you did not notice an oder from your previous, could be that this time after more supsequint births that your more "exposed" and thus more wafty.

Bottom line, you could be normal or you may not, schedual an appointment and have them double check things over.

ive noticed that the mix of shaving and wearing a maxi pad will cause itching... i to am almost 3 weeks pp and have a slight funny smell that drives me nuts! but i havent found a cure for anything yet

After my first baby I continued to have a brown, watery discharge for 3 months but since this was my first baby I had no idea something might be wrong. Eventually I required a D&C and it was discovered I had retained placental tissue. I had PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) three times; the third time nearly took my life. I was able to go on and have more children but not until I had 2 miscarriages. In the event of a bad oder or colored discharge after two months, or so, seeking a doctor's advice is a good idea, if for no other reason than to help you stop worrying.

I had a redish brown discharge very bad itching and foul smelling odor like fish or chicken gone bad, all this happened 10 days PP. Changing the pad regularly and cleansing with hot water everytime helped. Found out later I have thrush (AKA Yeast Infection). Once I started diflucan and nyastatin the smell and itching went away in about 2 days.