For over 5 years, my family and I have battled against my brother and his Schizophrenia.

The first signs were odd, he started wearing sunglasses at night and then he confided in my sister that he could see lights and hear voices telling him to do things that he didnt want to do. Unbeknown to us, this was just the start of a horriffic nightmare.

Paranoia soon kicked in, and my sister told me that he had lock both himself, m sister and my mum in her bedroom absolutely convinced that someone was outside of the house, trying to kill him. Again, we just couldnt understand what on earth was happening to my brother. He was on a lot of drugs at the time and i'm not talking the prescription type. We assumed it was a pill he had taken that had made him hallucinate. Then he started to dress differently. One trouser leg rolled up, lots and lots of layers, his hair would be slicked back, he wouldnt bother washing and would just constantly stare at you, for ages.

We experienced fits of outrage. One day he turned his bedroom upside down. My dad had to wrestle him to the floor to try and control his anger. As awful as it sounds, this was nothing compared to what was to come.

He still continued to take drugs and get in with the wrong crowd. It was almost like he had no idea that his behaviour was strange. The violent outbursts continued, the swearing, the spitting. One time, he spat in my dads face and threatened my mum with a knife.
He still had access to his car and would regularly drive around, laughing, with a knife in his sock. We hid the kitchen knives and every thing sharp in the kitchen. Just when you thought he couldnt get much worse, he would break down, sobbing and not making any sense. His words were muddled, he would sweat as he spoke. Some of the words he used were sexual, and he would sometimes "tick" when he spoke (a bit like what people with tourettes do). His room was completely tidy, with his aftershave placed in height order. Could this be OCD related?

He sold every thing he owned for money to purchase more drugs. He sold my parents television and has since written off 3 cars.

The worst incident we have had so far was when I came home from work one day with a new set of hair straightners. I went to my parents house to show my sister and my brother just sat there looking at me. Before I knew what was happening, my sister shouted run. I ran up the stairs only to find my brother chasing me, screaming wanting to hurt me. Not knowing what to do, I ran into the bathroom and locked the door. He cracked the door but thankfully wasnt strong enough to break in. My parents came home and called the police. I had to make a statement, but the police really didnt have a clue or understand what the issue was with my brother. They took him away and he stayed in a cell over night. They let him out the next morning and he was very quiet.

We had more and more episodes of this happening. He seemsed to develop a bitter resentment towards myself and my mum. Neither of us were allowed to be home alone with him.

The most heartbreaking thing is, he doesnt understand what is happening. He gets to angry and then cried. Its easy to hate him at times, but when he is "normal" he's a loving brother.

The last straw was yet another incident with him being violent and abusive. He tried to bite my dads face in temper. My sister called a mental hospital and he was taken away. When they arrived, he tried to run but he was caught. Neighbours and people in the street were watching as he was strapped to a bed and wheeled inside a van. I visited him twice in the hospital and both times he seemed annoyed and confused as to why he was there. He eventually broke out and was sectioned under the mental health act.

He has since tried to commit suicide.

His doctors performed an evaluation on him and came to the conclusion that he sufferes with Schizophrenia and bi-polar. The doctors said it was self-induced from his drug habits and that he was to be un-sectioned and released from hospital with no further help or support because he is adament he is fine and still has a drug habit. We have since tried to get him a doctors appointment but because he is an adult (20 years old) we are no longer able to go on his behalf, nor are we able to get him any further help unless he requests it. He is convinced he is fine.

I have contacted every charity, every help trust you could possibly think of, but again because my brother is an adult, he can only help himself.

So my question to every doctor out there, is how do I cope with this? He is, to this day still frightening my family. My parents are growing old, and have aged dramatically since this all started. I do not feel as though we have been given enough support or the right guidance to enable us to deal with this. In sheer desperation, my parents wrote to his doctor but have since heard nothing. We have tried hypnotherapy, drug counselling (which made him too angry and violent), private counselling (he stopped going because he said he was fine) and various other help and support groups.

Is it really time we closed the door on him? And if we were to do that, would he smash his way into our home again? I love him but I can't go on like this anymore.

this made me really sad. my uncle was on drugs and in a gang. he quit the group and the guys tracked him down and killed him. he meant more that my parents to me. 

im praying for u :)

im sorry, ill pray for u too

this made me cry :( im soooo sorry. im praying for u and ur family

this is sad

ill pray for u too :)

:-|

im so sorry, dont give up on ur brother

ask Jesus to help him . please read the bible and find Jesus. he will help u. i promise :) i will pray for u, ur brother, and ur family. dont give up.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

It is so weird I came upon your post. My brother is 44 years old and has had schizophrenia I think since he was in his early 20's. He is living on the street right now and his doctor and case worker are doing nothing. The police will do nothing. He got mad at my brother and my brother is scared because he knows where he lives. The end of this is not looking good. The system treats mentally ill people like they are stray animals. It's so ridiculous.

My situation was very similar to yours almost exactly. My brother changed so much as soon as he reached the age of 18. He used drugs which i suspected but never got him to confirm. I found out later in his life. He started to have blank stares, randomly burst in anger over things i couldn't understand, he constantly laughed and talked to himself. He was strange and maybe me feel scared. He went from the most loving and over-protective little brother to a very disturbed and lost man. He had great hyigenes always well groomed and well dressed. as he was going through this illness undiagnosed he would no longer shower or groom himself. He would wear the same clothes for days. I was concerned for him. Sometimes i would wake up to him at 3 am looking all over the house inside & out looking for noises i did not hear. He was sure he could hear them. He would talk endlessly about aliens & was fascinated with weapons. Long story short, after numerous visits to the ER & mental hospital he was diagnosed with severe anxiety & paranoid schizophrenia. He never accepted it & got worse. He once told us thru tears he was unhappy with his life& didnt want to live like this Everyone feared him & avoided him. Until one day i was phoned by authorities that he was found dead @ age 20. Autopsy declared he died from head trauma, fracture to the pelvic area, & deep contusions. A murder still unsolved. I tried to get the help he needed desperately but couldnt b/c he was of legal age & he refused care.