My husband has been an Alcoholic for 20yrs. We have been together for 18yrs and married for 10yrs. His drinking is wrecking our marriage. 6yrs ago I had him put into a rehab centre, which cost a lot of money. when he came out of rehab he continued to drink for a few weeks, in which time I left him for three months. Needless to say, I returned, with a promise from him not to drink again. He stayed off alcohol for 6yrs!!. I was sooo proud of him. A year ago he began drinking again, and in that time he has broken his two wrists by falling down the stairs. A few months later he broke his arm. In the in between bits I have had to phone for the Ambulance for various reasons concerning falls he has had through his drinking. January he fell again and broke his hip, he had to have a full hip replacement. When he returned home he had two weeks off alcohol, then began driving,in pain too, just to get his Alcohol, he then fell again and broke his leg, same leg as hip. three weeks after this he fell again through drink and, badly sprained his wrist. He now has a bad infection in his leg which is being treated by antibiotics, and on Wednesday he has to return to hospital and by all accounts he may have to have the whole leg redone because of all the damage he has done to himself whilst drinking. I'm at my wits end as I'm sick of nursing him, and know that soon he may die because of his drinking. He is in contact with someone through the hospital who is trying to help him overcome his alcoholisim, but it is so difficult as he seems bent on killing himself!

I read once about a medical study that involved men with liver disease who were still drinking.  They were testing a supplement to see if it might extend their lives.  The study was ruined because they told them they expected most of them to be dead by the end of the 5 year study.  The people in the study got "scared straight" and most all quit drinking during the study.  

You might tell him you don't want to have to deal with his funeral without preparation and wish to start planing for it now.  Does he want to be buried or cremated...  What should it say on his marker...  Go shopping with him for a plot or place in a mausoleum...  Get to a lawyer and get his will updated.  See if this might have an effect.  

You should also read up on "Baclofen"...  It's probably the only drug that can help an alcoholic at his stage of the game.  

Good Luck & GodSpeed to you both.  

I can empathise with you. I watched a good friend drink himself to death 35 years ago and I still miss him. He was in and out of the hospital where they gave him something that would make him feel absolutely rotten if he had a beer. He did anyway. The call of the alcohol was stronger than anything else for him. He was only about 35 when he succumbed.

I have a tenant in the apartment in my house now who was really bad for a while. He didn't quit until he had serious damage to his pancreas. He is on borrowed time now and it's terrible to see that. He is such a good person now that he's sober.

Can you find an Al-Anon group in your area? It won't help him but it may help you.

God bless

Hi njoynlife. thanks for your reply. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your friend. I have been to Al-anon in the past, they did help a little, maybe I should go again.

As it is now, I am treating his addiction as a terminal illness that one day, soon,will take his life! this is the only way I am able to get myself through this at the moment. Only today, 5hrs ago, he came home drunk, slunked over the driving wheel!!!!! I have now taken the car keys and hidden them. I couldn't get him out of the car, and as he is sooo bad walking, because of his hip and leg, I had to phone an ambulance in the hope that they would take him to hospital, seeing as he is going tomorrow anyway for another op' on his leg, they refused to take him understandably so.

I am going to tell him that he will not get his car keys back until he gets proper help, and sticks to abstinence of alcohol. He is such an intelligent,lovely man,and it saddens me and the family to see him losing this fight against his addiction. His sister died 15yrs ago. She was an alcoholic too, and my husband looks exactly like she did a few months before she died!

Hello billin. Believe me, I have said similar things to him recently. I asked him to sort out all our paperwork concerning the house, insurances etc. etc. He asked me what for, and I replied "For when you die" I told him that I needed all our policies in a folder for me to put away for when the day comes that he is dead I will have everything at hand!! He looked soo shocked when I said it!