Hi All

So Im currently 12 weeks pregnant - happy to be pregnant but have a dilemma.

My last period was 27th January 2012 - I took norethisterone in December to stop my period but had 2 periods following this therefore making my average cycle 31 days (as this is the only cycle length I have prior to falling pregnant.)

I had unprotected sex with my partner on February 5th (day 10) and February 12th (day 17). However, unfortunately I strayed and had PROTECTED sex (condom) with someone else on early hours of Friday 17th February (day 22). I was expecting my period on Monday 27th February.  

On Wednesday 8th February starting in the evening I had noticable amounts of what I beleive to have been EWCM (eggwhite cervical mucus) and this was present until Sunday 12th February - I also vaguely remember having what I now think to be mittleschmertz (ovulation cramping) on this day also.

The most important factor here is that I tested for pregnancy on Thursday 23rd February (this would be 6-7 days after PROTECTED sex) and it was positive on a 25miu test. Is it possible to have a positive this early?

Therefore, do I need to worry about paternity here? All calculators state I am no longer fertile by the date I strayed and all research indicates I was fertile 8-12 February PLUS I had used a condom during my 'mistake' - Im just struggling to find reassurance and hope I can get as much advice as possible.

Thanks - much appreciated.

Hi Allabout, It is very unlikely that the test would have detected a pregnancy on 23rd February if you had sex a week before.  It normally takes at least 2, and oftentimes 3, weeks before they can detect a pregnancy. That would put it about the 9th of February, which would be about right. Normally by day 22 of your cycle the egg would not be viable. There is always a chance but in this case it is very likely that your partner is the father.  The dates work and you did use protection with the other guy. You can still take the DNA prenatal paternity test.  Hope it helps.  

medic-dan wrote:

Hi Allabout,

It is very unlikely that the test would have detected a pregnancy on 23rd February if you had sex a week before.  It normally takes at least 2, and oftentimes 3, weeks before they can detect a pregnancy.

That would put it about the 9th of February, which would be about right.

Normally by day 22 of your cycle the egg would not be viable.

There is always a chance but in this case it is very likely that your partner is the father.  The dates work and you did use protection with the other guy.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for this - reassuring - although would appreciate any other comments also?

Ta