Hello, folks. I had some urinating problems and my doctor suspected I had urinary infection. He ordered biogram and antibiogram. I was found Escherichia Coli. I know that this is a bacterium, but I would like to know something more. Can anyone help me with more details? Thanks in advance, guys.

Hello. There is no reason to panic. Escherichia coli is a bacterium that normally inhabits intestines. However, their persistence in urinary tract is not considered normal. E. coli is the most common cause of urinary infections. Your antibiogram will show which antibiotics this bacterium is sensitive to. Your doctor will prescribe them to you if he already hasn’t. Usually, it isn’t dangerous, but you must cure it. Just be patient! After finishing with your antibiotics, you will do another biogram and antibiogram to check whether it is still in your urinary tract.