Hello, folks. My sister in law was administrated to the hospital yesterday because of the kidney failure. We think she had a urinary tract infection that got complicated. I would like to know the frecvency of kidney failure in UTI. Can anyone tell me something more about this? Thank you in advance.

Hello. I cannot help you with the exact number. However, people with frequent UTIs have tendency to develop kidney failure. The kidneys suffer which can lead to hypertension and kidney failure. It is believed that this is more common for people who already have some urinary tract abnormalities. Women tend to develop more often UTIs than men because they (women) have shorter urethra. Recurrent UTIs cannot cause kidney damage in women who have perfectly normal urinary tract. I guess your sister had some abnormalities in her urinary tract. The examinations will show. I hope she will be all right. Bye!