Hi, I had my uterus removed and now I have urinary tract infection. Is it common to develop a UTI after surgery?

Hi, it can happen since your inner organs have been exposed to certain trauma. you can take Ciprofloxacin to treat this infection. or any other fluoroquinolone, since they are very effective in treatmen of UTIs. Penicilins are no longer used for this perpouse because of bacterial resistance. Other fluoroquinolones are norfloxacin (Noroxin), ofloxacin (Floxacin), levofloxacin (Levaquin), gatifloxacin (Tequin), and sparfloxacin (Zagam). Pregnant women should not take them. Nitrofurantoin (Furadantin, Macrodantin) is a relatively inexpensive antibiotic that being prescribed specifically for urinary tract infections.

Hello there,

I believe that you should talk about this with your doctor. Since your whole organism suffered big trauma from the surgical procedure infections are side effects. But this infection can cause kidney infection if it is not treated on time so you should start with therapy as soon as possible and since you need prescribed antibiotics it is best to call your doctor immediately and explain your concerns.

Usually this is not serious but sometimes can be complicated and in your case I wouldn’t risk anything.  After few days you will stop feeling symptoms of the UTI and pain and pressure will be gone as well. And check with your doctor about using some herbal teas to prevent further UTI.