If anyone can help, please respond.
I am having a strange discomfort behind and slightly below my xiphoid.
Not a sharp pain but I know something is wrong inside there.
When I try to push in and feel with my fingers I do feel the end of my xiphoid. Kind of rounded and a dull discomfort behind the xiphoid.
What organ is behind the xiphoid?
My doctor said to just quit rubbing it.
I know something is wrong.
Please respond to ***
Thanks, Kevin

**this post is edited by moderator ** private e-mails not allowed **

help i have severe xiphoid pain also for aprox 6 weeks now i had a bunch of tests done and everything comes back normal the only thing is a had gastric bypass surg in 2003 no problems till now so severe i lay in a ball and cry i have 2 young children and i cant keep taking pain pills that just cover it for awhile i need to know what it is and how to fix it with out pills please help

I have the exact same thing, did you ever get an answer from anyone?
Graham

hi did anyone ever get a response about this strange feeling behind xiphoid?
family member going through same.

I have the same thing. Mine isnt behind tho, its the whole thing. I can feel the inflammation by touching that area. Its been going on for years and my dr. wants me to get scoped. I know thats a waste of time so Ive put it off. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and all the RA drugs didnt help the xiphoid pain, but they helped with all my other joint pain. Its unbearable, especially when I lay down or wear anything tight around my chest (bras). When I get up in the morning Im practically in tears because it hurts so bad, I take a handful of pain pills and wait for it to go away so I can function. Sorry, I wish I could help, but Im sufferer too.

I am healthy 40 with no medical history, I have had the pain in my epigastric area for at lest two years. At my last check up two years ago my Doc told me it is just the xiphoid cartalige changing shape and there is nothing no worry about. However the pain is getting worse, not untolerable, but more uncomfortable. With this I am getting flank pain. I work out lots and wakeboard lots with plenty of nasty spills, but I know the differance between muscle pain and something thats not right. I would love to know what's going on.

Same issues here. I started having this pain with my second pregnancy about 3 years ago. Doctors gave me an EKG, all was good, they said it was probably anxiety. It stopped for a bit after my daughter was born, but came back. I have this pain off and on, but at least a couple times a week. i noticed a bulge at the tip of my rib cage. please keep us posted. i'll be seeing my dr. soon.

the last 5 years I had this pain just behind the xiphoid process. Often the pain streched out to my back and stomach. I've had several checks to find out what's going on. Nothing to see for four years. Now a few months ago, I had scans taken in the hospital. The thorax surgeon, who was some specialisation on the breast bones (don't know the exact term for that in english), saw right away: the xiphoid bone was bending wrong, towards the ouside (just a few millimeters), probably caused by some trauma I don't remember, or maybe I'm born with it.. He arranged surgery for next week. They will cut off the xiphoid bone and that's that. The surgeon is sure the pain will stop. He said it's very rare, and often not recognized by GP's or even specialists, but he has seen quite a few cases. The operation helped them all out, and a week after surgery, all pain was gone. Some people have the same thing, but not that pronounced, and they live with it by sitting and standing up straight, not rubbing on it,...
If I see a reply here in two weeks, I'll tell the story and the results.
Cheers,
JR

I've had this pain behind the xiphoid process for 5 years. It's not THAT painful, but annoying, and with me it seemed to take away all my energy.
The last two years I got pain in my back, and I have this "nervous" feeling behind the xiphoid bone. It was getting worse.
Now two months ago the pain was getting very bad, especially in my back. I talked about it with my new GP (I moved). She thought about a connection between the back pain and the pain in the xiphoid bone. She said: "There's probably something wrong with the xiphoid bone, and because it's connected to your back via the ribs, that's probably the cause." She didn't know what to do with it and sent me to a orthopedic specialist. He said about the same thing and sent me to a thorax surgeon who has a specialisation in chest bones (i don't know the exact english word, i speak dutch). He took some scan pictures en when seeing them, he said rightaway: "It's very rare, but I've seen some cases like this. We removed the xiphoid with surgery, and the pain was gone. Your xiphoid process is bended toward the outside. It's just a few millimeters and you can not feel it from the outside, but it causes the chest pain and back pain. It is hard for doktors to diagnose".
So next week there's some surgery waiting for me. I'll come back to let you know the results.
I posted this because I lived with this pain for 5 years without any doctor knowing what was going on. So now I know. Maybe it's the same thing with you. Good luck.
JanR

Hi, sorry I posted twice the same thing. I thought it went wring the first time.
talk to y'all in two weeks.

Hi JanR:

Would love to hear how the surgery went for you. I'm considering the exact same thing, after 3 years of reduced mobility from a fractured xiphoid. I was pregnant when it happened for me, and took a ct scan to show the xiphoid was "floating" unattached to the sternum.

Would love to know the outcome of the surgery. Did a regular x-ray show the problem, or just a CT ?

the operation was a succes. I've had some minor complications. It started with irritation on my lungs, and after that the wound was a little bit infected. The problem with my lungs was over in three days (but quite painful), the wound took a week longer than normal to heal.
But: the results are amazing! No more back pain, no more pain behind the xiphoid. I am SO happy.
@Digger: an x-ray showed the problem.
I think more people have this problem without knowing it. I hope they find a good doctor who knwos about it.
Cheers,
JanR

Jan,
Glad to hear everything went well.
Thanks for posting the results.
Were the complications a possibility or just a fluke ?

Deb

Hi Deb,
that pain in the lungs is apparently quite normal when you have surgery in the chest. The doctor did'nt expect the pain because it was not really IN the chest. But he said now he knows for the future. That's great.
So I stayed the hospital and I had a pain treatment for three days with paracetamol.
The infection is bad luck, I'd say. I had to watch out though, because it's not the best area to have infections of course...
But hey, it's worth a few bad days! That's for sure.
Jan