My wife had open heart surgery a couple years ago, she feels the sternum has shifted. this causes a great amount of pain daliy , she has seen her doctor, and a cardiologist and they say there is nothing they can do. I don't think this is right. Can someone please HELP my wife.

Hello! Has your wife been checked for sternum fracture? This happened to my aunt after open heart surgery. Does your wife have any respiratory problems. Although I know of two cases of sternum fracture ( my aunt and our neighbour), none of them had major breathing problems although I know they could occur.
What exactly did the doctors say? Considering your wife’s surgery was a few years ago, it should have healed by now.

My aunt was given epidural injections to relieve the pain from the fracture and she needed to rest and not move a lot and not lift or strain herself. Her sternum healed in a month or so, I think.

Has your wife been prescribed any painkillers? You wrote that doctors said they couldn’t do anything about it but did they find anything to be wrong?

My uncle had a similar problem after heart surgery. He was told he has sternal non-union, a condition where the bone did not heal completely. This happened because his doctor used bone wax, which is made from beeswax, to control bleeding from the bone. Bonewax is an old fashioned material that keeps the bone from healing and increases infections. There is some new material his doctor now uses of called Ostene. There is more information about this at:********** Since doctors focus on the heart, they often do not spend much time thinking about the bone, and then patients have these problems even though their heart is better.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web adresses not allowed **

I was having severe sternal pain after my open heart. My problem was that I was having an allergic reaction to the wires they used to close my sternum. I was lucky enough to have the wires removed 7 months after my open heart. You might want to have the cardio-vascular surgeon check the wires. Good luck.

I too had severe sternum pain after my open heart. Found out I was having an allergic reaction to the metal wires that were used to wire my sternum closed. 7 months after my open heart, my cardio-vascular surgeon removed my wires. It's been wonderful since. Hopefully this could be your cause of your pain too. Good luck.

I had quad coronary by pass over 15 years ago. A year after surgery my sternum became two parts, clicked on every breath and was quite painful. I think it was my own fault. After surgery the Doc said i could do anything I wanted to do. I bought 8 head of cattle and worked like a fool. In year two the same surgeon reconnected the two parts and wired them up. Now 15 years later the sternum seems to be coming apart in places. X rays last week showed 4 wires intact. Perhaps I should consider behaving like the old 70 year old that I am, but i find that difficult. I slow down just enough to ease the pain.