When I sleep on my left side, I regularly wake up to my hands being numb and tingly, as well as a throbbing in my left hip.  What would cause this?

Age?

I'm old (71) and I get those feelings all the time, in different places, depending on what position I was sleeping in. If I sleep on one side with my hand under the pillow, that hand will be numb when I awake. Also the hip on the mattress side. I have to keep changing sides during the night to prevent different discomforts. The older I get, the worse it gets. I can only sleep on my sides because I had heart bypass surgery 16 years ago and they left a piece of bone sticking straight out from the bottom of my sternum. On a side view x-ray it looks like a tiny penis made of bone. It is very uncomfortable to have the weight of my skin pulling down over it when I lie on my back and of course lying on my stomach is out.

ooooh omg this sounds to me like you need to go in and get that bones put back in the right place ouch...good luck dude :(

That was an interesting problem. It was really troublesome at first as it really hurt if that area got touched ,which happened accidentally, too often for my liking. The most common was that it would touch the bottom of the steering wheel at times as I was moving around in the seat. At first the pain was so intense that I would have to stop whatever I was doing and just hold still while trying to catch my breath.

But talking with other people who had had their chest cracked open, they all had a similar problem that took a long time (years) to go away.

I even got an appointment with the heart surgeon to check on it. He said it was a hiatal hernia and it was common for paitients who had bypass surgery. He said they could fix the hernia with another major operation which would cost about half what the bypass surgery cost. Of course that was out because my insurance company dropped me at the next renewal date after the bypass operation. They didn't actually DROP me, they just increased the premium to an amount I couldn't pay.

Also I was sure it wasn't a hernia because a hernia would feel soft and what I had was hard as a bone, so I didn't want that surgeon working on it anyway.

It was several years later, after I began going to the VA that I was able to get them to do an x-ray and the boney protrusion showed up well on the x-ray.

Maybe, if I have to have another operation someday, I will be able to get them to fix it.

What it is, is that little tail bone we all have at bottom of our sternum. It grows as you get older and when you're young you can make it click in and out. As you age it hardens in place so it feels like an arrow head sticking down from the center. That got twisted when they laced my ribcage back together so it is sticking out forward. Of course the medical community feels no obligation to warrantee their work so they will only fix it if I'm willing to pay.

If I fixed your TV and you found something sticking out the front that was not supposed to be there I'm sure you would expect me to fix that --- for free ---- and I would feel it was my duty to do so. However ,doctors don't have that same feeling about their work.