I`m 42 and was diagnosed with chronic thromoembolic pulmonary hypertension. My doctor has recommended me a pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE) and I would like to hear more about that procedure. Also, would like to know what are my chances?

Hi. The treatment for pulmonary hypertension depends on the type of PH, whether it`s arterial, venous, hypoxic, thromboembolic or miscellaneous. PTE is a surgical procedure used for chronic thromboembolic PH. That mean that the doctor will remove an organized throbus along with the lining of the pulmonary artery. This procedure is very large and difficult. Not sure but I think that PTE is currently performed only in California. About prognosis, the outcomes have changed, due to a newer drug therapy, better care and earlier diagnosis. I`ve read somewhere that patients who had started the treatment with bosentan, 86% of them were alive at 3 years.