I have a heart beat sound in my right ear that I can feel pulsating at times. It started as a whooshing sound so I went to my family Dr. that said it was an ear infection. He gave me an antibiotic after it only got worse and turned into a heart beat sound that I can hear at night. I went to an ent and a neurosurgeon who sent me for a cat scan and even a cerebral angiogram which also came back negative. This drives me crazy!

Hello, I started hearing the heart beat sound of my blood rushing in my left ear 5 weeks ago and it hasn't gone away since. It seems to be worse in the morning and at night, when I yawn and stretch. I don't really notice it during the day at work, but I think that's only because there is so much noise around me. My regular doctor said it could be an inflammation of the inner ear and gave me some antibiotics. They didn't help. Anyway I have an appointment with an ent next Wednesday and I will let you know what he says.

Wow I have the same problem, but I got this wooshing sound like 2 years ago, so you all have a long life ahead of you if it is something serious.

But this wooshing sound went away till now, but whats interesting is that my ears feel swollen now like the inners of my head is becoming swollen. Thats why I am going to see the ear doctor tomorrow.

The sound drives me crazy at night too because it sounds like my heart is dieing or something, but its not. My heart feels fine but when I hear this it makes me nervous and I begin to get palpatations. I have to fall asleep on my stomach with my ear on the pillow so I can go to bed.

I hope its not a tumor or something.

By the yway how old are you people who get this?
I am 17.

You guys may have problems with so called pulsatile tinnitus. Tinnitus is a disorder in which a person hears sound when nothing’s causing it externally (when there is no such sound). This sound may be perceived as whistling, ringing or maybe even machinery sound.
Pulsatile tinnitus is a disorder when you experience the noise sound with the heart beat and you may perceive it as a heartbeat.
It has been found that this happens when the blood flow in the vessels near the ear alter. These vessels may be large arteries and veins in the neck and base of the skull and smaller ones in the ear itself. This may happen when blood flow in the body increases like it does during exercise or anemia. It may also happen when some of the blood vessels narrow, so the surrounding vessels need to carry more blood and this increased flow causes the noise or if arteries harden and blood does travel smoothly as it usually does and this turbulent flow may cause the noise.
You should address a doctor about this and have some proper exams. They would perform hearing tests, check blood vessels, and probably order some sort of imaging tests like an ultrasound, mri, ct scan, mra, etc
Your treatment would depend on the cause.
Hey orangepine, how did your appointment go?

i have the same problem. it has been going on for about 6 months now. at first it was only once in awhile and it didnt really bother me. now its extreamly loud and i hear it all the time. the heartbeat is not present all the time, but i do hear a constent blood flow. i know that if i puch on my neck in a certain spot it will stop, but i am sure that is prob not good, but sometimes its the only way i can get 30 seconds to myself. i am having insurance problems right now so i have not been to a doctor, but i would like to know what your guys doctors are saying.

Bah!!! Heart tumors... 8-|

There is a artery that runs through the side of your head. When your ears and sinuses get infected and swell up it puts pressure on that artery and as a result you hear that noise which is your bloode being squeezed through that artery.

I went to the doctor and told her about the problem and to my amazment I had a deep ear infection witch I could not feel and since its alergy season the sinuses usauly become swelled up.

Go see your doctor and he will give you some antibiotics to kill the infection and hopefully realeve the pressure that is causing that noise.

It worked for me and I no longer get that noise.
:-D

WOW! I'm kind of glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem.
I have been experiencing this for 2 years. I have been seeing and ear, nose and throat specialist now for about 15 months. She's done all the tests, MRI,
cat scan, hearing test, brain tests and everything comes back normal. She did an ultrasound on my neck, checked out my thyriod, turned out I had thyroid cancer. I had it removed, went for radiation treatment, thought ok this has to be it BUT NO, it's worse then ever. I loose sleep over it, it makes me very irritable and this is taking a real toll on my life. I just saw the doctor again on Monday and she is no sending me to a Neurologist. She said they have to check my neck. I don't know what that means yet. There has to be some answer for this. I hope we all get relief from this soon.

I have not been feeling well for the past few weeks. I've been getting wicked headaches (behind my eyes) and around the bridge of the nose. I'm pretty sure it's sinus related, because I've got lots of mucus due to allergies right now.

Two days ago, I started hearing my pulse in my left ear. It was so loud, it woke me up last night. It comes and goes during the day. It's pounding right now as I type.

I did a google search, and there's all kinds of scary things on there-- glomus tumors, high pressure in your head, hardening of the arteries, etc.

Boy was I relieved to hear that it could all be due to sinus problems. I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow with my GP and see. Hopefully, some anti-biotics are all I'll need.

I'm supposed to be going on vacation next week, and I'm in so much pain, I'm considering cancelling.

Everybody, please keep us all up to date as to what your doctors say. I'll do the same.

I have the same problem as the rest of you folks. Right ear for me. It drives me nuts, and also concerms me. Reading these posts have caused me to be even more concerned, and I really need to go see the doctor. My only question now is which doctor should I see? The general doctor, the ear nose and throat doctor, the heart doctor, the brain doctor? Good grief! The list just goes on and on.

LPN,
I have had these symptoms for 15 years. When I was 19 I went to the ENT and he said I needed tubes in my ears. Since I swam alot I didn't do it. Now, I'm tired of the sounds and the pulse getting so loud that I went to the ENT this week and she said my hearing test and pressure test came back great so tubes won't help. She is scheduling an MRI this week to determine if I have an aneurysm behind my right ear. I had thyroid cancer in 98 that spread to my lungs in 2000. For the past 5 years my tests have not shown anymore but i was wondering yesterday if this sound could be related. Now with your post, I'm wondering. Please let me know what the DR. says to you. In the meantime I'm calling MD Anderson and seeing what my cancer dr. says to do. Uugh! I could've learned about all this 15 years ago!

OK.. I don't know if anyone is reading this board anymore, but I thought I'd share. I am on day three of the anti-biotics and the whoosh, whoosh, whoosh is almost gone.

So, I would advise everyone to get their ears checked. I didn't have any ear pain, yet I have an ear infection!

I would start with your General Practitioner and go from there. My GP diagnosed an ear infection. I wasn't even having ear pain. Just a few days on the anti-biotics and it cleared up. PEACE AND QUIET AT LAST!

It's easy to assume the worst and think of all of the very rare scary things it could be. Start with the simple, and then keep looking.

I'm so pleased I've come across this board, thank you all for posting. Your comments are very helpful and informative.

Last Sunday afternoon I suddenly starting feeling a pulsating purr in my right ear. I'm not experiencing pain, but it has been very distracting and irritating; it is uncomfortable to live with. It also feels like my eyes are vibrating with each pulsation. I was hoping the noise and sensation would disappear as suddenly as it appeared, but it's now Tuesday evening and no change. I called and made an appointment with a GP today and I'm seeing her tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. Hopefully it's an infection that can be cleared up with some antibiotics too. I think I might go mad if it was to stay with me for a long time. Very unpleasant sensation. javascript:emoticon('>;)')

KC

Hello there, i had a pulsating in my right ear for several years when

it was quiet and i'd be reading, i quit smoking and it's been gone for

about five years, since smoking terminated. i figure it was the constricting

of a vein in the ear, which smoking causes though-out the body.

good luck if you're a smoker.

To add to the conversation, I was discussing ailments with my brother recently and the subject of hearing loss came up. He asked if I was able to hear my heartbeat when I slept on my side. To which I answered yes. He told me that he had the same problem, went to his doctor and was told that he had wax build-up deep in his ear, behind the ear drum. He said it took about 3 visits to have the wax cleaned out. After that, he did not hear anymore heartbeats in his pillow and his hearing was very much enhanced.

Could be, all that is needed is to have your ears cleaned of old wax.