My husband has had nasel polyps for about 7 years.  This year they got so swollen that he was going to opt for the surgery.  After reading forums like this and learning about people that had had 3, 7, 8 and 12 surgeries and they still came back- I ran to the health food store.  What did they recommend?  Quercetin with Bromelin!!!  The bottle was only $20. My husband turned to me that night and said "I can breathe again".  It shrank his polyps so he had  75% of his breathing back.  I started reading up on Quercetin, and indeed, on many sites it is claimed as a natural anti-histamine. 

Then I signed up for the manufacturers newsletter (NOW Foods).  3 weeks later there was an article that said that Vitamin C (He takes a 1000mg tablet) taken with Quercetin-Bromelin improves its performance.  Now we were at 85-90%. All that was left was the sinisitis.   On reading a 1984 book from Prevention magazine, a sidebar said that mega Vitamin A stops sinisitis.  That did it!  Now we have the situation under control.

My husband will probably always have Asthma, Sinisitis and the Polyps, but we can handle this on our own without any help now thank you very much.  Will it work for you, I can't say, but it can't hurt.  Quercetin and Vitamin C also have cancer preventing properties.

Check it out and other remedies, you will be surprised at the power of vitamins which are natural substances fo the body.  Also, a site that helped our family is doctoryourself.com

Hi, there. Nasal polyps can really cause breathing difficulties. If you have one or smaller polyp, doctor can prescribe you corticosteroid nasal spray. Those would be: fluticasone, triamcinolone, mometasone or budesonide. Oral corticosteroids are also possible in combination with nasal spray. Antihistamines and antifungal medications can also be helpful. If medications are not effective, then you should go for a surgery. There are two options: polypectomy and endoscopic sinus surgery. You should discuss all this with your ENT specialist. I hope you will come up with a solution.

Many people/ whose noses are stuffy all the time/ have nasal polyps, small finger-like projections that block air flow through the nose. Until recently, the only way to get rid of them was to take cortisone-type drugs, however, the weight-loss drugs, fen-fen, ma also be effective.

Nasal polyps are blisters on the inner lining of the nose. Fluid-filled sacks hang down from the inner lining of the nose like little fingers to block the flow of air. People with polyps usually wheeze and cough, particularly when they get infections and often lose their sense of smell. Allergy injections, antihistamines and decongestants do not relieve a stuffy nose associated with nasal polys. Surgeons can remove the polyps, but the polyps usually return within a few weeks. People with nasal polyps should never take aspirin as most will eventually develop shortness of breathe, itching or increased nasal stuffiness, when they take it.

Until recently, the only effective treatments was cortisone-like injections and pills, such as prednisone,/ and antibiotics to treat the infections associated with polyps. However, cortisone-type pills and shots can make you fat and lower your immunity, so doctors try to avoid this treatment and prescribe cortisone-type pills for only a week or two, followed by cortisone-type nasal sprays to slow the return of the polyps and the antibiotic, doxycycline, (100 mg twice a day for 6 months) to get rid of associated mycoplasma infections. Recently, three patients have had their polyps disappear when they took the weight loss drugs, phentermine (30 mg once a day) and phendimetrazine (35 mg three times a day). Future studies will show if this is an effective treatment.

By Gabe Mirkin, M.D., for CBS Radio News

Some horrible advice on this board. In response to the previous post:
1. fen-fen is no longer widely available because it was shown to cause potentially fatal pulmonary hypertension and heart valve problems--much worse than having nasal polyps.
2. If polyps are surgically removed, they often take years to return, if they return at all. Once removed, aggressive allergy meds and nasal steroids can help prevent their return.

THE ONLY WAY TO GET RID OF THESE IS THRU SURGERY.... THEY REALLY CAN'T DO MUCH HARM BUT THEY DO GROW AND CAN CAUSE BREATHING DIFFICULTIES AND OTHER PROBLEMS... YES SOME PRESCRIPTION NASAL SPRAYS HELP SHRINK THEM A LITTLE AND THAT IS ONLY MAYBE, MAYBE NOT.. EITHER WAT IT WILL NOT TOTALLY REMOVE THE POLYPS... OMG I HAD A POLYPS WAS SCARED OF SURGERY DID IT ANYWAY AND NOW I THANK GOD. I FEEL SOOOO MUCH BETTER, I CAN BREATH AND HAVE NO MORE INFECTIONS AND AFTER SURGERY THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY 0 PAIN, NO PAIN.... I MEAN I WOULD DEFINITELY CHOOSE TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

NOT TRUE WITH THE ABOVE COMMENTS... MY MOM HAD ONE 15 YEARS AGO AND HER POLYPS WAS REMOVED AND NEVER CAME BACK. THEY DO NOT ALWAYS RETURN.... I HAD MY SURGERY LAST YEAR AND MINE HAS NOT RETURNED EITHER..........

THE DR SAID THERE IS A SMALL POSSIBILITY THEY COULD RETURN BUT USUALLY THEY DO NOT... I MEAN THE SURGERY WAS SO EASY, NO PAIN AT ALL AND NOW I CAN BREATH MUCH EASIER, I WOULD DO IT OVER AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!!!!!!!!

How much does it cost to get a Nasal Polpys surgery? How much is it w/o insurance? And how long does it take?

First of all, sinus polyps can and do return and within just a few months of the surgery. I have just complete my 6th sinus surgery to remove these nasal polyps.
They don't know exactly why I have such an aggressive case but my ENT and I are exploring all avenues, all the research we have done is pointing to an aspirin allergy. I will be going thru a treatment next month to desensetize my system, hopefully that will help.

I don't know the cost without insurance, even with insurance its not cheap, it involves not only the surgery and pre and post ops, but CT scans and losts of meds.

Hope this helps

I had my surgery in Feb 2010. Felt much better afterwards for a while. Noticed my sinuses getting bad again in the fall and my ENT found polyps growing again in Dec 2010. I've also lost my sense of smell. The best relief I've found is from Prednisone, but it only lasts for a few weeks (only have 1 week worth of prednisone at a time). about a week at the end of the prednisone medication, I can smell, but it goes away gradually. I take Nasonex, but it doesn't seem to get in the sinuses, just opens up the nasal airway enough to breath through. I started nasal irrigation a few weeks ago, twice daily. That really helps clear things up, but only for a few hours. I have allergies, ENT says I'm allergic to everything based on the testing. Been doing allergy shots for almost a year. But I can never tell if I have a reaction to anything. It just always feels like my sinuses are congested. I don't get watery eyes or itchy skin very often. We did some food allergy testing last month and found out I'm allergic to bread yeast. I've been abstaining from that (I think), and still don't have any relief. I don't know what the deal is with my sinuses. I'm thinking of trying grapefruit seed extract and zinc to see if that has any effect. Unfortunately, I can't afford another surgery right now. I just barely recouped from paying for my last surgery.

My ENT told me after my polypectomy that polyps return in 85% of all cases. He said the average second surgery is within 10 years. My second surgery was less than 4 years later. For those that never need surgery again, you are blessed and lucky. For most people, the return of polyps is a very common issue.

Surgery is surgery. There are serious risks and potential complications, including possible brain damage. Recovery for this is not horrible, but you are pretty incapacitated for the first week. How much it costs depends on your insurance, but I have always paid at least $2,000.

Your results may vary. Someone needs to come up with a better treatment/cure for this problem.

James

Wow, my story is exactly like yours! Have you found any relief two years later? If so, please let me know....ugh....this is so frustrating.

Thank you!

SJ

Quote:

I know this was probably posted years ago but I have the same thing, allergic reactions to everything, the allergies get worse and worse, was using 3 boxes of tissues a day and even blowing my nose through the night, I am just about to have my second surgery to remove polyps and the only thing that has given me any releif is the fact that I have been diagnosed with HASHIMOTOS (underactive thyroid disease)...since I have been on thyroxin my allergies are coming under control and, although I still have polyps I can breathe again...thought maybe you could see if this helps you?

I don't know if it is effective or not, but i tried and succeeded to a bit, i have allergies due to the fungal growth on damp walls and i believe they infected my poor nose. anyways, i used to go out to the park in mornings and evenings for fresh air, and used to do 'PRANAYAM' (breathing excercises) i was sincere with it, and used to do it regularly for nearly two months, and believe me, my sense of smell was regained. Out of the shear happiness of getting treated i stopped everything, and got back to my normal day to day doings, and i am still infected, however i will try for the excercises again, but this time for atleast for 4-6 months, and i believe i will be treated. Just 20-30 min. a day would be more than enough. but sincerity is a must, fresh air, and smile on ur face. 

If your nasal cavity is heavily congested, u can go for nasal sprays, and perform the excercise during the open hours of nasal cavity, however do not force urself. a little progress a day is enough. 

Believe me , you'l achieve something even more than a free nose.

I have problems with polyps its been years doing suregry on and on and again they are returning  back to me again.where i live is Macedonia and here I had a proposal to do it with sensor but that cost to me 500 hundred euro,i don't have that money im tired of the polyps,i hate them.