i seem to have the same problem as some of you. it started six months ago. i went to the doctor he said you have got an ear infection your is inflammed he gave me antibiotics they didnt work so he gave ear drops they did nt work he told me to take sudefed and ibuprofen they didnt work
he has given me a nasel spray that hasnt worked either and he gave me this device for my nose a ballon type thing you keep your mouth closed and blow in to this balloon using your nose whilst hold the other side of your nose. it sorts out the pressure in your ears so the doctor told me every time he see my ears he says it pressure build up in my ears
after seeing the doctor so many times i got in to the e n t clinic to see them the did a hearing test looked at my ears and said thay cant see anything wrong this upset me as the noise was in my ear that day and is now. they said you will need a scan so now i have to wait for that and i was told i will have to wait up to 18 weeks for it and to see some one from the tinenus people up to 3 months, the noise in my left ear is driving me crazy i cant sleep right i cant afford to go private i can feel some thing wrong with my ears some times pain or i feel light headed i have a lot of flem coming from my throat some time the noise will stop for a few days then last all day and night for weeks. it gets worse if i turn my head bend down or strech its making me feel bad and i dont know what else to do if i hold my breath it stops its like a pulsing whoshing sound its awfull

I have been also suffering with tennitis for many years. I had my daughter around the time I was turning 20 that is when this started. I am now 26 and have had a MRI also cat scan and nothing revield. This is a terrible thing to have to deal with but It becomes something I have had no choice but to excepted as part of my life now. When I turn my head to the right I have a very loud noise. Also when I press on my neck the noise disapears. My own theory is that my main artery in my neck is too close to my ear drum.This is some sort of a curse and I have to learn to just live with it. Good luck to you I have read that seeing a chiropractor may provide some relief that Is what I will try next!

I have been suffering with the same symptoms since July 06. I have had an MRI, MRV, MRA. The only thing they revealed was Empty Sella Syndrome. I have excess fluid around my pituitary gland. They feel that this could be causing increased cranial pressure. They feel this may be leading to the pulsing and rushing sound I hear. However one of the common factors with increased cranial pressure is inflammed optical nerves, I do not show any signs of that. My vision is perfect and my nerves are flat. The only way to be sure I have increased pressure is to have a spinal tap done. %-)
All of my problems are just on the right side of my head. I have even had slight pain and "twinges" around my ear and up to the top of my head.

I too have had the same problem. You are describing my symptoms exactly. I have been suffering with this for almost 8 months now.
I recently went to a neurologist who says I might have increased intracranial pressure. I have "empty sella syndrome"..which is when the cavity that contains your pituitary gland enlarges and fills with fluid. In 10% of cases this leads to increased intracranial pressure. Which becomes an issue with "drainage"...which may be why I get the flem in my throat so frequently..especially when laying down. This has not been cofirmed yet. I have to have spinal tap to be sure this is the problem. The Dr. said just having the spinal tap may relieve the pressure.
The other possiblity would be a "glomus tumor" but the MRI does not show any signs of a growth.
Empty sella syndrome seems to be more prevalent in women in their 30's who are overweight. Unfortunaltey....I fit the profile. %-)

Wow, I thought I was going crazy. I've had this problem for about 4 mos now. I haven't seen a doctor on it yet. I noticed that if I press on my neck the pusling stops.

I also experienced the same symptoms as you. The doctors had no clue what could be wrong with me, I experienced the rushing blood pulse-like sound in my right ear for over a year. As time went on and no answers to be found, I began to wonder if it was just in my heads something I had made up. Finally a year and a half later it seemed to have let up, now I only experience the noise when I am scared or my heart is racing. before I used to hear it most of all laying down. I could also stop the noise by putting pressure on the vein in my neck, then as I would let up on the vein I would hear a louder "rush" of blood through my ear. To this day I still have no idea to as what my problem was. I just pray I never have to deal with it as much as I used to. It drove me crazy hearing it day in and day out. Its nice to know though that its not all in my head and that others experience this very same thing. I also experience a weird twitch feeling in my ear when I hear a clap or loud bang noise? Does anyone experience this also?

I have exactly the same thing as you! I think the cause for me is high blood pressure. Have you ever had your blood pressure checked?

kubiak_a@bellsouth.net

fanofheadroom,

Did you find an answer for your symptoms? I have many that you describe.

I have been having drumming in my right ear now for about 3 weeks now. I have since learned that Imitrex might be the cause. One of the more frequent side effect of Imitrex is Tinnitus. I am going to see a ear nose and throat specialist to confirm.

i have had the same symptoms that i have read. I also have a pulsating (heartbeat) sound in my right ear and have had this for now about 2 1/2 yrs. it really drives me crazy it is worse at night, if i lay on my left side the sound is worse, but if i put pressure on it it stops. I also have been to an ENT, had an MRI, and a audioligist do a hearing test everything came back ok, except i was told that my hearing in my right ear was not to good. in fact i was told that i was slightly def in that ear. I wish someone can come up with something that can CURE or have some type of a solution to us people that live with this on a daily basis %-)

my heartbeat is a result of the right anterior inferior cerebellar arterly loop whice extends into the right internal auditory canal. So, basically I have an artery that runs into the auditory canal in my brain. I went to the ENT first... after many tests there was nothing they could see, so they had me do a CT scan, then and MRI then to the Neurologist and they requested a CT Angiogram. This all took about a month and a half to discover and I am happy with the results and that I don't have other problems. Good luck to you all.

Have the same problem with my right ear. I read all the threads and evidently there is no cure (???) :-( - Surely something will help me? My nights are uncomfortable and much of the time during the day I hear this pulse...July 1, 2007

have been experiencing ear pulsing in my left ear for about 2 years now. It comes intermittently, maybe a couple of times a month. After each episode, I have almost crippling headaches that no painkiller will cure for usually 4 or 5 days. As well, the most disturbing is poor balance and poor equilibrium. I do not have spinning or vertigo but certain lights, patterns, room colors or shapes or wearing sunglasses can make symptoms worse. It feels exactly like you are wearing someone else's prescription glasses. Lastly, my memory seems to get worse (this may be because I cannot concentrate). and I get very depressed and tired. I used to be very active in baseball and golf and now I cannot play either becasue of this problem. My ENT took a couple of tests and said my ears were fine and it would go away. I told him it had been getting worse for two years and was affecting my life and career so he is sending me to a balance specialist but was sure they would find no problems. My general physician says these are vague symptoms with no clear problem. I really need some advice so if this sounds familiar to anyone or someone can shed some light, please let me know.

In 1995, I was diagnosed with an AVM. This was found by MRI. This is what was causing the rushing, heartbeat sound in my right ear. It is a malformation of arteries and veins. I saw a neurosurgeon, had an angiogram, and after much discussion, was told that the AVM was not in a place to repair. So I lived with it. 2 years later, I finally went for a further opinion. I had another angiogram, and was told the AVM was gone. God had healed me. There was no more sound nor symptoms. Now, over 10 years later, I am hearing the rushing sound again. I have been under much stress as my Dad passed away in June. I don't know if mine is now stress related, or has the AVM occured again. So I wait to see if it goes away or I may see the doctors again.

I was diagnosed with Tinninus in my left ear about 5 months ago, which started as ringing and a fullness feeling in the ear. The pulsing came later and it is much harder to ignore. I have noticed that sweating during yard work or whatever stops the pulsing and reduces the ring for most of the day. I still have the pulsing during the night as I sleep, but stops after I get out of bed. Sometimes I take a Lunesta to help me sleep, but I rather not. I had a perfusion performed at Shea's Clinic a couple of weeks ago, but so far it has only helped the fullness. They say it can take up to 3 months before the final results are seen. As of now, I'm not very hopefully. The pulsing seems to be worst since the perfusion. I may try sleeping in a more upright position to see if that helps. I really lost a lot of confidence in the medical profession trying to get answers. Hang it there and don't let this ruin your life.