I have had angioplasty done and a stent placed in the artery to prevent restenosis. I have been fine since the surgery but lately I noticed some strange sensations in chest. The sensation/discomfort usually shows up when I overwork or after a long walk. I was wondering if this was supposed to be happening, like is it normal to feel this after stent placement or should I see a doc?

I have the same thing going on. I have been given a drug eluding stent and have started experiencing this pain in the chest area. I went to see my doc and I am about to undergo some testing this week. I am going to have EKG done, stress test and some other tests to see what’s going on. I suggest you saw your doc too. I guess that if this was normal, my doc wouldn’t be ordering all of this testing, right?

In 2004, I went to an ER by recommendation of my primary healthcare physician. They did an EKG, heart scans, stress tests (which I couldn't finish because of the pain) and found nothing. They then set me up to do a heart cath procedure. They found what was causing my chest pain...a 90% blocked artery in my heart.

In March 2007, after mentioning having this same pain to my wife, and the fact that this pain was in the identical area as the stent I went to the ER.

The hospital immediately ran all the same tests done the first time. The same results...nothing wrong. I then underwent another heart cath. According to the Cardiologist that did the cath, "Everything is fine...all major arteries are open and your stent looks fine. Maybe some of your minor arteries are blocked causing the pain...or maybe you're having acid reflux". He prescribed a long acting vasodialation medication and Nexium for the acid reflux. Neither helped...in fact the Nexium is hard to come off of. If you didn't have acid reflux before the Nexium, you will when you discontinue it. Ironically, when I was coming off of the Nexium and felt the pain of acid reflux, I was having the stent pain at the same time...which told me it wasn't acid reflux.

After racking up a giant hospital bill, I still have the pain only now...everyone thinks I'm dreaming this pain up. I was encouraged to find someone else is experiencing the same thing I am.

In summary, I don't know what to say to you guys...hopefully your doctor visit will yield more than mine did. I did recently buy an New England Journal of Medicine article that mentions the stent I had placed as having potential issues (even known by the FDA). My stent is a Cordis CYPHER Sirolimus-eluting Coronary Stent. I'm going to investigate this article's concerns to see if that will give me some new direction in the search to alleviate this pain. To find the articles I did, just Google "Heart Stent Problems". I warn you...there are law suits going on regarding stent placements.

I had a heart stent put in on 5/18/07 and even though I did experience some shortness of breath after 24-48 hours and my heart was pounding harder, this went away and was fine for 2 weeks when I started to experience moderately bad more localized pain over the area of my heart. Another angiogram was done and they inserted 3 more stents in the same coronay vessel (but different from the first heart stent). When I went home, I did start to experience moderate pain over the area of my heart even though upon dismissal from the hospital my doctor said if I felt a twinge here and there it couldn't be from my heart (likely musculosceletal). I still have this pain which is concerning me since I really can't do too much when I'm experiencing it. If I knew this was normal and not a problem with my heart I wouldn't be concerned, but I just don't know. I hope someone can relieve my concerns.

I had 2 stents placed in my LAD on May 9th 2008, felt decent for the first week but began having the same type of pains, these pains tend to just flare up like little pin pokes or crakling for a few minutes over a couple of hours when i get them. i complained for 60 days but was told its in my head or might be gastro but not my heart. On july 16th my chest felt very uncomfortable and i went back to the hospital and another 80% blockage was found in my RCA and they stented that, yesterday the little pings and pangs of pain strated again and my chest feels a little heavy. I had an Endoscopy and my stomach and esophagus are good.

my regulr doctor and cardiologist say i should not feel any pain. anyone else out there who has had stents who feel little pricks or pains around the heart area?

My husband had a stent placed in his LAD artery in March of 2006 and has had severe chest pains at times since then. No pains prior, just shortness of breath. His cardiologist has since had him go through the stress tests and run several EKG's and nothing has shown up. (all of this was done prior to the stent and nothing ever showed up then either) The pains that he experiences now are anywhere from moderate to severe. Sometimes they occur after excertion and sometimes they occur at rest. He really notices the pain after riding a lawnmower and wonders if the stent rubs and irritates the area, which his cardiologist says is impossible. He's frustrated and doesn't know what to do. Any suggestions?

My wife has recently had two drug eluting stents fitted, she has had heart pain and shortness of breath ever since, she is 48, The pain was so bad i had to call an ambulance, she has been in hospital since, she is seeing the consultants again this morning they have not come up with any diagnosis, am hoping to find out more today. At the moment the stents do not seem to be working that well. She has all so has had pins and needles in her arms and legs, the ECGs all seem to be normal. The hospital seems to think it could be her being anxious, personally i dont think it is but i will keep you posted

Im had a heart attack at 29 (low LDL genetics) and have since had a stent put in. I try to play basketball and run the eliptical but find I have shortness of breath. But I do find it easier to do activities BEFORE you take yor medications (in my case Plavix, Carvedilol,& Lisinopril I take more but at night)

Hello fellow stent patients. I also had stents placed on Feb. 28th of 2009. I am having slight pain on both the right and left sides of my chest but not the center of my chest nor does it go down my left arm as it did before the stents were placed. It is bearable unlike the pain before but none the less scary.

Yesterday, Sunday, March 5th I had little stabbing pains on the left side for hours, finally I took a nitroglycerin and it went away. As all of you know Nitro relaxes the arteries so that blood is allowed to flow better. Since taking it helped that signals problems with the left stent that was placed, had it not been a problem with the stent taking Nitroglycerin would not help alleviate the pain.

It would be helpful if a Cardiologist would respond to us, but I doubt that will happen, lol.

This article I found while researching about pain after stents being placed explains why some of us may be expeiriencing pain. It states that the pain could be coming from our arteries being stretched by the stents.

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/coronary-heart-disease/angioplasty-and-stents.html

I had a stint procedure on 11/13/09 and since then I've experienced shortness of breath, pain in my chest and arms and hesitation in my heart rymthn. It happens no matter what I'm doing. If someone can help me understand this and if it's normal, cause it scares the heck out of me. :'(

I am 45 years and had 2 stents placed in the LAD (end to end) back in May, 2009. Within 3 months I felt like I had had nothing done. I became sedentery again because everything would give me chest pains and I refused to take the Nitroglyerin pills because I've seen what a mess it made of my father when he would take it (he's got heart failure and is close to 80.)

After going for another stress test, this one drug induced and extremely painful, the abnormal results were reported to my cardiologist who diagnosed the possibility of the ends of the stent having narrowed (which can happen) and another catherization was scheduled at the end of September.

When they went in they found out different. It seems that I had developed another 99% blockage in a smaller artery which had previously been only 40% blocked. The Cardiologist states this sometimes happens to a very small percentage of patients (12%) where due to inflammation the plaque buildup goes at super speed, so what should have taken years to close, only took months.

Well it's been a month and I'm starting to have the same symptoms again. I'm not at the painful level yet, just the beginnings, discomfort and sometimes its hard to breath, although the breathing part can happen at anytime and is not related to my activity level.

I've got to tell you I am frustrated. I'm not sure why it's happening again, and some of the symptoms I've had my cardiologist has stated, "can't be happening" she stops short of telling me its all in my head. Like it feels like a pencil tip is poking me in the chest on the left hand side - stuff like that. She keeps telling me there are no nerves there and I shouldn't be feeling the stents. Seems to me if I'm feeling it and others are reporting something of the same then maybe it's actually happening.

The above web "http" contains the best article to explain what is wrong with us... there are newer articles and american written that say the same thing... but I like this one as it is so easy to understand, has pictures of the problem, etc.

I will later post another article that tells what some doctors are trying drug wise to help, but none of the drugs helped me really. One is Celebrex, for example, or prednisone, dangerous drugs perhaps, but tried by doctors.

Note other recent articles written by american doctors and scientists about patent (compeletly open) stents, yet severe chest pain/angina, are by some very exteemed doctors.

Some others suggest it is the plastic (polymer) coating around the Drug eluding stent adding to the already big problem of constant non-bending and stretch. The problem of post (after) stent pain would occur with the bare large stent, but not as much as with the Drug eluding stent...

...if you really take time to search the web, you will see dozens of well written articles about it... only way out I think seems to be to somehow have a bypass around the stent, eliminate it.

...In my case (now 5 years old) it would mean perhaps a 5 way bypass, since the stent is sticking into the left main, though the blockage was origionally only in the small part of one vessel, the LAD osteum (end). So I am screwed. Others I know were able to bypass and remove the stent with out much trouble, single vessel, etc., though it was open chest, heart out, heart lung machine, full bypass, but only one vessel. In my case, a 5 way bypass would be too dangerous, so I have sought other means without success. I have tried all natural anti inflammitories with no success. I feel time is running out.

I have severe chest pain every nite and morning since the morning after it was installed. Including now.

RCA Stemi 6.3.2010. Had stent placed in RCA last Thursday and already experiened a number of symptoms such as chest pain right side of chest, loss of strength in right arm, occassional flutter of the heart, and shortness of breath. Scary and concerned!

I had open heart double by pass with absolutely no problem. I then had stents placed in my legs and in the area of one stent in my right leg I have mild pain which goes and comes, a couple of Tylenol take care of it.

I wonder if it from the process used to open the artery and the pressure the stent adds by pushing to keep it open. I have an appointment on Wednesday to find out as the stents were just installed on this past Monday, I had three all together but only one area is bothering me. And that is the only one where the artery was completely blocked and was 160mm long. That's a bunch.

The end result is my leg pain when walking is gone and overall I think the Stents are doing what they should, just hope the pain thing goes away soon!

Any comments?