Hi, my daughter is diagnosed with sarcoidosis. I was not familiar with this condition so I read everything I could find about sarcoidosis. The way it is diagnosed, treatment and symptoms are all known to me. However, something confuses me. How do the doctors know that my daughter has pulmonary sarcoidosis and not tuberculosis? Can you please tell me what causes pulmonary sarcoidosis?

Hi, pulmonary sarcoidosis and tuberculosis have similar symptoms. In fact, people with tuberculosis are more susceptive to sarcoidosis. However, there are differences between the two conditions. First of all the cause of sarcoidosis is unknown, while tuberculosis is caused by a known bacteria. The primary diagnose of sarcoidosis is done with a chest x ray. If sarcoidosis granulomas are seen, the doctors will take tissue samples to confirm the diagnosis. The granulomas caused by sarcoidosis are different from the ones caused by tuberculosis and the difference can be seen under the microscope. I hope this clears up things for you. I hope your daughter feels better soon.