Hi, I am twenty eight years old men. I have been living a normal and healthy life. I didn't have any major health problems until couple of weeks ago. Rash started to develop on my body. With it shortness of breath appeared. I couldn't breed well and the cough was unbearable. When I saw a doctor, he suspected that I might be developing tuberculosis. He sent me to have an x-ray. It seams that my doctor was wrong. The condition that I have is sarcoidosis. The doctor scheduled me another appointment, but didn't tell me anything about the course of treatment. Can you tell me what does the treatment for sarcoidosis?

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your problem. The symptoms you described, cough and your inability to breed well, point to tuberculosis. However, your doctor did well to send you to have an x-ray. You see sarcoidosis and tuberculosis have similar symptoms. The thing is that in your lungs sarcoidosis and tuberculosis form different structures that can be distinguished only with an x ray. As for the treatment, sarcoidosis is usually self treated. This means that it will disappear on its own. The process lasts from two to three years. However, you will have to have regular check ups so that your doctor could monitor the sarcoidosis development. In some cases, where the sarcoidosis takes a more serious form, corticosteroids and some other drugs are used to stop the progression of the illness.