Hi, I have heard about a condition that affects the lungs that the doctors do not know the cause of. Is it possible that something like that could be happening nowadays? I know that there are conditions that the scientists don't have cure for yet, but I never heard about illness that the cause of is not known. I was wondering if you can tell me how this sarcoidosis affects lungs. Also what I want to know is does sarcoidosis get to other organs as well and not just to the lungs.

Hi, unfortunately scientists have not yet solved all the mysteries of the nature. Sarcoidosis can affect the entire organism, both inside and outside and not just the lungs. People with sarcoidosis may be having problems with their skin. Lesions can appear on various parts of the body. Also all organs can be attacked by it. But the lungs are mostly vulnerable. Sarcoidosis is very similar to tuberculosis. It causes the formation of granulomas. These formations are inflammatory lesions that induce breathing difficulties. The cough is also common with sarcoidosis suffering people. Sometimes, granulomas can progress into fibrosis tissue that permanently affects the function of lungs. However, in most of the cases, sarcoidosis is self-limiting and granulomas disappear spontaneously. Corticosteroids are used to speed up the healing process.