Ok, so I have a question or 2 for anyone familiar with Kratom being used as a combatant for opiate withdrawls. I have reached day 7 as of an hour ago clean from hydrocodone for the first time in 3 years. To me, reaching day 7 was a milestone, small or not, but it was my first goal along this hard road of adjustment so... ((HIGH FIVE)). Anyways, this is my first attempt at beating my addiction. My habit started recreationally, im not even going to lie. There was no serious injury, etc that led me to this point. I simply fell in love with the perfect feeling a couple of vicodin could give me and proceeded from there to develop a habit thanks to a guy I met who literally was sitting on anywhere from 500-1000 of them at a time, it was like going to starbucks for coffee...always open always had coffee. During my recreation period (the first few months I started using for fun) i would take anywhere from 4, 7.5s at a time up to 10 total throughout the whole day because it felt amazing. I could immediately see I was going to develop a problem so I checked myself to a degree.

Once those first few months passed I moved to the "dependent" stage. I was able to control my intake over the next 3 years but yet never focused my energy on fighting it. My habit became controlled, i didnt up my doses to reach that original climax, i was smart enuff to know that was where real problems would develop. As they have dysfunctional alcoholics and functional ones, you could say I was a functional vicodin popper. I didnt let it effect my finances, my family, friends, etc. It was like I created an addiction and yet was able to stick to a reg pattern and simple almost dr prescribed dose schedule. So during the week it was 2 for breakfast and 2 for dinner. On weekends I would up it to around 6-8 Fridays and Saturdays then back to 2-4 on Sundays to prepare for work week leveled out. After a trip overseas I had a minor epiphany and when I returned I leveled my addiciton out more...for the last 6 months I was at a simple 2-4 a day 7 days a week...some days I would take 2 to get that "normal" feeling going and go conquer the work day. If it went bad or WDs kicked in i would take 2 after, and some days I would just do the 2 in the AM. This schedule stayed stable until I decided it was time to kick some personal butt. If i could monitor and regulate myself with such will power i felt i was finally on the side of the fence where I was ready to get serious about eliminating vicodin completely.

This is where the Kratom came in...i did massive amounts of research, both ends of the spectrum, theres alot of great/successful testimonies and also alot of people who had bad experiences with Kratom (i felt even with some negative experience this was well worth trying before resorting to the horrors of methodone or subxone). So as far as general info on Kratom, this i am already familiar with so please keep to my main focus if you have an answer and not a long post describing Kratom, effects, etc as these things Ive already tackeld. So anyways (sorry I tend to ramble) I started my walk through WD hell and readied myself mentally for the days or weeks or months it would take to fight the good fight. My system consists of lots of vitamins and normal healthy intakes of water, teas, keeping myself nourished as best I can during the WDs. My daily dose of Kratom is much smaller than the recommended for recreational purposes (6-10 capsules for the "high"). I take capsules so anyone familiar knows what I am using.

Day 1 i started with 3 caps in the morning b4 work and an energy drink to combat fatigue. This worked surprisingly well. My WDs were minimal to what I expected, some sweating, loss of sleep, restless legs and gastro issues but were tolerable because even that small dose of Kratom (2.7g) gave me a feeling of "yea im all hot n cold flashes, the gastro issues suck, and im prob not gonna sleep right for a few weeks, but ya know what, i dont care, im still positive enough to handle the day". It was an odd mixture of Hey, here come the withdrawls but Im happy enuff to tune them out" I did not experience any of the flu like symptoms ive read about thankfully. Anyways, ive reached day 7 through this process...most days I did 3 caps in the morning to get through work and if I needed at night 3 more if I still had to be busy, with normally an 8-10hr span between doses. otherwise Id skip the night dose and just deal with the "off-ness" my whole body was having (note: these free-of-Kratom evening did lead to wanting the morning come quicker to take some, but I fought it until morning even if i didnt sleep but 2 very distrubed hours. So anyways...here is my question...now that ive reached this milestone would it be healthier on my body to continue the Kratom for another week until day 14 and then do every other day until I stop noticing the WDs that make you want to relapse in small moments of the day? Or is it smarter to now switch and do a taper with the hydrocodones doing 1 a day spit in half down to a half a day down to every other day until its days inbetween then none at all. My concern is now that im at what I feel is a good sign of having my battle in my control not the drugs, which is safer on my body if either...????

If someone is clean for 7 days and takes just 1 vicodin will it reset the WDs and make you repeat all the work you did or has your body at least adjusted to a point where it will receive it but not punish you? If so then obviously I have my answer...continue my Kratom regiment. To be honest I hope the answer is continue the kratom from anyone who replies as I honestly have no desire to take another vicodin if I never have to. Im just looking for the correct way to tackle week 2 now. I dont know which is now more effective/healthy for my body, the kratom intake or using the half a pill method to taper off everything completely now that my body can manage each day with minimal doses of either if any at all. So if anyone has experimented with this method of recovery, in a nutshell... ...will my body respond better with the daily doses of Kratom for the next week or 2 or should I use the 1 pill a day/every other day method? If it means resetting the WDs and losing all the work this first 7 days took then do tell...as I am here for victory but at the same time I do have concerns and would welcome any amount of input anyone can give me.

Just quit. If you are having any withdrawals take half your old dose of Kratom.

hello. stumbled across this post and after reading, realized it was from 2010. if you'll get this, i dont know, but if you do please update on where you're at now. im in the same situation and on the beginning of the road which you must have traveled by now. started after perscriptions from lung removal surgery of two lobes resulting in numerouse issues. hydrcodone helped lots with shortness of breath, pleurisy etc. and of course made me very, very happy and energetic. alls good for 6 years till i moved to guam. virtually impossible  to find a doctor, let alone a pulmanary spec who would perscribe. discovered kratom. adore it. my husband had an injury lately for which he received.... vicodin. havnt had it for month and have used kratom for 4 weeks now. just had to try. couldnt resist and, to my dissapointment, it does not work. kratom, as you know by now, builds tolerence to opiates. thats ok. i like my K and feel liberated. i do wonder though, years from now will it be as hard as vicodin to do without. that scares me, but i must have pain/ breathing control to live an active, normal life. how does your story end? were you, am i .... setting up for a huge problem in the future and fooling myself? your opinion will be appriciated. thanks

Where do you buy Kratom in Guam?

Took a similar route, and it worked great. I didn't experience any withdrawals, but I am continuing with Kratom as a replacement therapy. I don't get that "high" anymore and I am a productive member of society with a fantastic career that isn't participating in any illegal activities. As I see it, t's much better than being hooked on the pharmaceuticals. Although, I will be weening off the kratom to see how it goes. If it leads me back to craving stronger stuff, I'll go back to it, as I love my life today and do not want it to go out of control again.