Hi everyone,

I chose to go on Suboxone because I couldn't deal with oxycontin withdrawals. However I never planned on taking them for long and desperately want to stop (I have been on them for about 2 months). Now that I have started tapering and reading info about the withdrawal I'm becoming more and more discouraged.

I find the suboxone withdrawal almost unbearable and am looking for something to help me get off of this. Obviously drugs are not the solution since that is going around in a circle but I have access to low dose vicodin. It was never my thing (only oxy, vicodin in large quantities makes me sick and I've always been able to take it as prescribed when I needed it for things like tooth problems) and I'm 100% sure I would not go back to doing drugs if I touched it.

So my question is, is it possible to taper down to the lowest suboxone dose (such as 1mg or .5) then once the withdrawals kick in take say one or two vicodins to ease them a bit for a couple of days? Or is that a hopeless solution as well?

hello just wanted to know on your post did the vicodin help with the suboxone withdraw,, yes suboxone withdraw is the worst, i dont care what anyone is saying, and alot of people is starting to find this out

I'd like to know too. I was thinking of doing the same thing. It makes sense since you're trading a short acting one for a long acting opiate. And it's easier to get off Vicodin then Sub. Hopefully by the time you would have mostly finished your Sub withdrawal (lingering effects can last for months though because it gets into your bones) taking a Vicodin would not cause you to be sick. In other words there wouldn't be enough Sub (which is a partial agonist) left in your system to have the Vicodin effect you. If you tried to take Vicodin while the Sub was still dominant in your system it would make you sick.

I did read somewhere of a doctor who came up with a plan where you actually dilute Sub with water so that you can wean down to a fraction of a .mg and then stop taking it with little-to-none ill effects. I'm looking into that. I only take 1.5 mg p/day but I still hate that it controls me. Sub is werid--less is more as the ceiling effect is the same whether you're taking 2 mg or 16 mg.
Evil as far as I'm concerned.

obviously you people have never been in withdrawal from vicodin. It is like hell on earth

I strongly suggest you stay away from anything but over the counter medications. Even though you think you're 100% sure you won't go back to the same old habits, I just can't determine the future. What if your significant other cheats on you, breaks up with you, or you father dies and you have a weak moment. Do what you want, I think you had your mind made up before you posted... But in my opinion, if you're going to take vicodin then why not just take Tylenol to help with body aches, head ache etc... I'm sure you know the feeling...

Last but not least, go see a doctor man. I realize doing it yourself is easier and less embarrassing, but I think apart of the road to recover starts with humility and admitting you made a mistake(s). God knows I have. Best of luck, just remember every day you aren't doing opiates, your a day closer to a healthy "normal" life. Hang in there...

what happened did the vicodin help with the sub w/d?

I did it, was on sub for a year down to 1 mg when i jumped 6 days ago today. The miss information and not knowing is the hardest since doctors dont obviously know much about the sub. One thing is you dont get sick if you take an opiate after taking sub its the other way around. sub binds so strongly to your receptors if you are on an opiate and take sub it knocks all opiates off the receptors making you sick but when you are on sub its bound so tightly to receptors that no opiate will phase you, you just dont feel any effects. The thing is no one wants you to know that because they dont trust we are smart enought to make the right decisions or dont have the self control to stop. Yes i could have never done it before mid addiction but now after a year of getting my head straight i did it. I got 15 vikes from a small surgery, used them as of six days ago to get to today having none left I am still fine but will check in with you all going through it too to tell you where i stand later today or tommorrow.

Guest wrote:

mmmmm no my friend.,.,.obviously u never had sub withdrawls.. vicodin stays in your system for 72 hours or so,.,.suboxone is designed to last 24 hours..and stores in your fat, bones, and body and the withdrawls can last up to 6 weeks...sub. is 30x more powerfull than morphine.
im gettin off sub and im on my second day cold turky..on the 3rd day..im going to take a handfull of percs for 2 days to knock out the suboxone. i had kidney stones last year and thats what the hospital did..give me large doses of oiapetes to knock out the suboxone and it worked..i felt the delatta within 2 hours. both oiaptes fight your receptors on your brian for domanace..sorry my spelling sucks..im typing fast and dont feel so hot. but ill fill you all in how it went.. :roll: :D
im on 12mg now,.,.and been on it for 2 years..i took 4mg for 3 days and now nothing...the worst is the 5,6,7,8,9 days from what i heard...you think vico wd s are bad? i been there and done that..at least it only lasts 72 hours.,,try 10 days of it

ok....so the final result for taking low dose pain killers to come off suboxone is???????????? Does it help??

i jumped off sub at about .8mg(less than 1mg if you dont see the.)

the first 3 days were no big deal. but on the 3rd day i fealt pretty bad that night, so i took 1/2 of a percoset, it helped alot. so for the next 5 days i took 1/2 of a perc at night to get some sleep.

for me i was ok doing this. be very carfull because it is still perpetuating your addiction doing this. but it does help take the edge off WD.

Thank you for the response!! I was planning on doing the same for about 10days and then call it quits. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt "running in circles". I had a fear that it was the same as taking more SUB and that I was still going to start at square one when I stopped after the 10days.
Are you clean now? If so, how long??
Reason I ask is........alot of people on these sites have great ideas/suggestions but it always seems to be in the "testing phase" and they never seem to come back and let you know it was a success and they are clean.

yes i'm still clean 9 months later. i've had 0 slips or cravings.

my situation may be a bit unique tho.

started on oxy's moved to heroin. the whole time i was using these i was getting high.

then went to methadone for 3 years doing just enough to function. started at 10mg of methadone 1 time a day lowered till i got to a little less than 5mg a day. (from time to time i did take a little extra to get high, but not often)

then i switched to suboxen 2mg a day and tapered to just under 1mg before it got to hard to split the pills any farther. total time on sub was about 5 months.

i'm thinking i had a little easier time at it because i wasnt getting high, i was only doing bare minimun to keep from WD.

also, i refuse to do any kind of NA or talk about my feelings type of rehad. no one can be forced to quit, when the time is right and you truelly want to quit, it is not too bad.

during the 2 weeks that i detoxed, it wasnt very bad at all. no vomiting or diarhea, i fealt bad but not terrible.

now i'm free and happy

Again, thank you very much for the response!! I am glad to hear your story, it makes me feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel. one more question for you though.........when you say you had WD's for 2wks and they werent that bad.......are you saying that after the 10days of me taking the low dose PK's that I will still have 2wks of possible (mild) WD's? Basically my idea was stay on the PK's for the worst of it (first 10days) and at that point I wouldnt have been on the opiates long enough to have a WD. I realize there is no magical way to be free of this demon but on day 10, would I be able to go to work and not lose my mind? How long do you think I could stay on the PK's before I had a WD from using those? Just trying to have the least amount of WD's as possible............

P.S. I am sorry if this sounds bad but I am really in the dark when it comes to all of this.............thx for the help!!

it took about 14 days or so from the time i had my last sub, till i was starting to feel good. but after about 8 days every bey is a bit better.

i would only take the bare minumum percosets to get by. i had real bad creepy legs while withdrawling, actually that was the worst for me. and a half of a perc would calm them enough to sleep for a few hours.

it can be done, you just need to hang in there. my dr. had offered to leave me on sub for the rest of my life if i wanted to. but i wanted to quit. do you remember how things were when you were a kid? thats how i feel now at 34, a second childhood rediscovering things to do and not worrying if you have enough dope to last.

here is my experience albiet short lol days off sub (5) about taking other opiates to help with wd from sub here i my experience,percs,vics then methadone 2 years swithed to subs approx 2 years ago and never really stayed on a maintanence dose as i have been weening ever since.well went on 6 month taper for the 3rd time in 18 months down to 1mg for 3 days then jumped as i read other posts about even more tapering that seems to last forever god i hate this drug and if it has helped people live normal lives more power 2 them and i mean that but being a addict i want a buzz and euphoria anyways at this writing 2 hours sleep last night which i am gratefull for my new attitude.so the first 13 days took 6 percs a day then took 2mg subs for 2 days only probably a big mistake anyways going on day 6 again and trying to talk my dr in to giving me percs or vics or anything,sitting on 2 fent paches which i wont take what i am trying to say is there is no easy way and i am even thinking of going back on subs 1mg so i do not jump off a bridge i would probably survive knowing me and be put on low doses of vicodin lol so when i take percs 2 or 3 the relief is short lived and i do not know if it prolongs the suffering or not,talked to a so called pro on the phone the other day ago about what i was going through and this guy or girl couldnt tell from the voice was f n clueless to as what some people seem to suffer trying to kick subs, but i have to remember that i have been on opiates for 4 years and i want a easy fix i started all this again for major back pain or chronic and wish i could turn the clock back i hear everyone saying this is the worst wd including myself but in all honesty it is just longer and the reason i want off is it does noy help with my pain infact i believe its make it worse i have turened into a hermit,unemployed,etc....low labido and i am 48 male and this is not the norm for me so what i am saying is i am still struggle big time but every 10 minutes with more chills i have a drawer of subs and am fighting against this options as i want off plus while in subs i go workout hard for a hour and do not feel that good feeling of your body feeling good naturally i want that back and a sex life as well and a job wouldnt hurt either i am losing a overseas job making bank as we speak cause there is no way in hell they will let me go yo the middle east on suboxone so i feel that suboxone was taking away so much in my life well its 6 am and i am sure i will be asking anyone i know even strangers if they have a couple percs they can spare so i do not know what the answer is other than dont give up dont lie or steel peace out