Someone please help! I have had daily head pressure in sides and back of head, as well as front of face over the past year. I am currently going through dizziness, nausea, black spots in my eyes, and horrible head pressure. Not to mention my enability to concentrate. The doctor completed a CT Scan and it came back OK. I recently was sent to an Ears and Nose specialist which was a terrible experience. He was very cold and to the point that I did not have any ear issues even though I have pressure in my ears as well. I have been off work for three weeks and am emotionally and physically drained. I feel very much alone and would greatly appreciate any help.

hi eloise,
there are a number of conditions that could cause symptoms similar to these, i was wondering have you had any problems with your teeth lately, or do you ever get a ringing in your ears when these "attacks" come on? have you noticed your diet having any effect on your symptoms? if you could give a little more info that would be helpful thanks.

Hi casig, I was so surprised to get such a quick response. Thank you. I have not had any problems with my teeth lately. I was told some time ago that I should look at having an apparatus in my mouth due to my jaw alignment. Unfortunately, due to cost I was not able to pursue. Is it possible that this could be causing an issue? I don't seem to have any ringing in my ears. As for diet, I was doing some Internet research and noticed that someone had problems with Aspartame that caused some of the same symptoms as mine. I have been avoiding all drinks and foods with sugar substatues. Unfortunately, I have not noticed a difference as of yet. As you can see, I am up to trying anything at this point. I did want to mentioned that I do have sleep apnea and am scheduled over the next 4 months for surgery on my nose. It seems that my right nostril is nearly closed due to the bone structure of my nose. My confusion with all this is why would the specialist not mention that some of these things could be causing the pressure, dizziness, and nausea. Open to any suggestions.

hi eloise, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, thanks for the extra info. from what you have said i feel that your symptoms are more migraine related than anything else. on the bright side your ct was clear which will ease any worrying about anything sinister. the most common cause of this feeling of pressure around the head and face is sinusitis an infection and inflammation of the sinuses, however this tends to be very acute and can be settled with antibiotics, it also tends to be picked up by your docotor easily. for this reason i would advise you to speak to them about the possibility of migraine. migraine can present atypically (unusually) with floaters, pain / pressure in face and head, nausea, fatigue / sleep disturbances, inability to concentrate. in studies recently it has been found that a large percentage of people with this sinus type pain have actually been suffering from atypical migraine. i would suggest that next time you feel poorly try a specific migraine medication (you can get from any pharmacy) and see if this gives any relief. as i said though keep on with your doc to ensure everything is checked out. hope this helps - kate

Hi Kate, Thank you so much for getting back to me. I was so happy to get your response. I have an appointment with my family doctor on Wednesday and I will definitely be asking him about this. Any other info you may have, I would greatly appreciate receiving. I will continue checking the site. Gratefully, Eloise

I had the same syptoms for an extended period, had multiple tests and the determination by a neurologist was migraine. Have tried several medications including efexor, cialis and most recently Wellbutrin. The wellbutrin seems to be working with least side affects. Hope this helps.

Hey there, I just noticed your postings and I have been dealing with something very similar for the past 1 year and its driving me crazy. I have this head pressure, especially on the left side, close to my left eye. It all started in May last year when I woke up one morning with pressure on both sides of my head and amazing dizziness! I have had MRI on my brain and neck, CT on my face - all OK. I have been prescribed stuff like Effexor and now something else that isn't working either. I feel best when I lay down, especially on the side that has the pressure. Also it goes away when sleeping and the more sleep and rest I get, the little better I feel the day after. I now also have this floater in my right eye that is driving me insane. I am just hoping I can find something that can take this pain away.
-Thor.

hi thor, as i explained to eloise, the symptoms you both described could be explained through atypical migraine. drugs such as effexor and wellbutrin are sometimes prescribed, as although they are primarily antidepressants, in lower doses they can sometimes be effective in treating migraine. it can be difficult to find the right treatment path for each individual, however if both you and your doctor persevere there will be something out there that will help. in the meantime you could try seeing if there are any patterns, such as the symptoms being stress related, if they come on following a particular food, being in a particular environment or even wearing a certain perfume or scent. the fact you have already had negative scans is a good sign and rules out anything sinister, so that should be a weight off your mind to start with. any questions just get back to me. hope this helps. kate

About 8 weeks ago my Mom had her first episode at work and they actually took her to the E.R. and kept her overnight, but tests have shown no negative results. Yet she keeps feeling this pressure throughout her head and also feelings of dizziness. She often describes it has feeling like she is floating. She also feels this pressure near her eyes as well. Along with these feelings she at times complains of chills.
She's been to her general practitioner, been through a variety of tests including MRI, tabletop and others. She saw a cardiologist as well as one visit to a neurologist - she plans to see him again.
Her family doctor put her on lorazepam and hydrocodone to "numb" her senses, but she continues to feel abnormal. I recently suggested she try ruling out TMJ.
Any ideas would help. It is frustrating that the patient has to come up with ideas because the Doctors don't seem to be intuitive or creative enough.

Hi there,

Stumbled across this site while looking for something else and saw your post and just had to respond. I went through these exact same symptoms for YEARS....several doctors, CT scan, MRI scans etc...nothing came of it. I don't want to lead you astray by telling you my story, as this could be one of many things. But how I finally got my diagnosis was a routine eye exam. The optometrist noticed I had swollen optic nerves. Scared the poop out of me as she explained that can be a symptom of a brain tumor. After another CT scan showing nothing they sent me to a neurologist. They proceeded to do a lumbar puncture and my cerebrospinal pressure was through the roof. I was then diagnosed with a condition called pseudotumor cerebri. Also known as benign intercranial hypertension. My symptoms were similar to yours...pressure in the head, headaches, visual disturbances, black spots, vertigo. After going 2 years without a diagnosis I would have episodes of total blindness, numbness in my limbs and I thought my head would explode

There are many conditions that can take into account your symptoms, including migraines as the other posters have said. But your symptoms sound pretty much like the ones I had. What I would do is please, go to see an opthamologist. If you cant do that...then a well respected optometrist. Also request a consult with a neurologist. One of those three should check your optic nerves for swelling. If nothing comes of that, then at least you've tried. I hate posting on these kinds of forums because I dont want people to get worried that they have what I had and panic...but it's a very rare condition and gets often overlooked while the medical professionals test you for everything under the sun.

I hope you are doing well, and also hope its nothing serious :-)

I can't believe that I have finally found someone else who is experiencing the same thing I have have been for at least 6 months. The pressure feels like it is going away at times and then it returns the same day. I do have high blood pressure. Just found out inb May 2006 that I have High BP.
I too have been through the Cat Scans, Mri's and ENT. They all said they couldn't find anything. But as you said you know how your body feels. The pressure is definitely there and it is on my left side too. It almost feels like a ear infection. There is also pain at times behind my left eye. I finally went to see a Opthamologist. He has recently told me that the problem is inflammation from sinuses that has setup in these areas. He has put me on a antihistimine with a decongestant. I have only been on this for 5 days but I am starting to feel some relief. I have been using a saline spray to clean my nostrils too. When I use the saline it does cause mucus to drain.
I am going to also start inhaling steam. I am also taking Ibprophen daily. The only thing is the drowsiness you have to put up with. Maybe your problem is inflammation too. I feel for anyone going through this. Good Luck to you! Please let me know if yours ever goes away and how you did it.

As another person suggested you should go immediately to see a Ophthamoligist. I have been suffering from the exact same symptoms and did all of the Cat Scan, Mri, and ENT routines. Finally because I felt pain behind my left eye at times too I decided to get my eyes checked for a possible infection or something. The eye doctor checked my eye pressure and other tests. After all the tests he said I have a bad case of inflammation built up in the areas behind the left eye and left side near my left ear. He put me on antihistamine/decongestant {Over/counter type} He said to stay on them for 2 weeks and see if I start getting any relief. The worse part is the drowsiness from these drugs. I also started using saline nasal wash daily and musenex dg. Probably going overboard but it has been 4 days and I am starting to feel some real relief. You sound like you are on the right track too per your deviated septum. I have been reading that sometimes not being able to breath through your nose properly can cause these problems. Try more nose breathing. Here is a website I found and th enose breathing might be helping too. I just started last night. Here is the page from the website that tells you how to check to see if you can breath right or not. Something about the gas mixes in our body. http://www.nqnet.com/buteyko/buteyko_nose.html
Good luck to you! I feel for anyone suffering with these symptoms. Please feel free to email me and let me know how yours is doing. Sincerely, Giovanni

HI, I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT THE SYMPTOMS OF HEAD PRESSURE. IT IS VERY INTERESTING FOR ME BECAUSE MY DAUGHTER HAS BEEN EXPERIECING THIS FOR A MONTH. SHE DOES HAVE A CYST THAT SHE HAS HAD SINCE SHE WAS ABOUT 9. THOUGH SHE DOES HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HER SINUSES, HER DOCTOR HAS RULED THAT OUT AND ALSO TOOK BLOOD TEST WHICH CAME BACK NORMAL. SHE WILL BE TAKING A CT SCAN TOMORROW AND IS FEAKING OUT SOMEWHAT ABOUT IT. I DID MY BEST TO CALM HER DOWN BY NOT SHOWING HOW SCARED I'AM AND TELLING HER TO NOT WORRY ABOUT SOMETHING THAT MIGHT BE NOTHING. WHAT I'M HEARING ABOUT MOST IS ABOUT SINUS PROBLEMS, FOR WHICH I ALREADY MENTION THAT SHE DOES HAVE A PROBLEM WITH. SO I WILL GIVE HER THIS INFORMATION MAYBE THE DOCTOR OVERLOOKED SOMETHING WITH REGARDS TO THIS. SHE ALSO HAS SYMPTOMS OF SEEING WHITE SPOTS I GUESS DUE TO THE PRESSUE.

:'( Hi everyone i came across your forum whilst trying to look for answers for myself. I have been really ill for the last three months!!! It started with very bad diarrhoea every morning,just the mornings!!! I thought it was connected to not having a gall bladder anymore due to it being removed about four years ago. I had noticed that my body can't cope with some types of food now. So i tried to manage it by watching what i was eating.Eventually went to doctors and he gave me gastric restraint tablets which did help with the diarrhoea. But about a month ago though whilst still struggling with this problem i bent over one day to kiss my daughter good night and the room went from underneath me and even when i crawlled into bed the room continued to spin and i was very scared and left feeling really sick. I went back to the doctors and he gave anibiotics saying it was severe sinusitus. Finished taking them but still not good i now have pressure on the left side of face. Top of left side of head behind left eye and weird spaced out feeling in my head.Even been and got eyes tested and they are fine. Doctor now given me Stemetil to help with inbalance apparently. Have got to go back today to see doc and i still feel dreadful. Plus bad diarrheoa come back again even after being really careful with what i have been eating!!! Just wondering if this could all be interconnected or not. Sorry i have gone on but i am feeling very frustrated now and worried. :'(

I've never done this before, but I'm desparately trying to help a friend who has been having headaches over a period of time now. She has been through multiple tests, CT's, MRI, and arteriogram; all of which have been negative. Her pain is described as heavy pressure all the time recently and is excacerbated with cough, bending over, laughing, etc. She has been to an allergy specialist and has taken multiple meds that for a short period seemed to give some relief but not any longer. She does not meet the standard criteria for migraines, yet that is what she has been told. I'm concerned about her intracranial pressure. Her allergist suggested she see her primary MD to be referred to a Neurologist. She hasn't done this yet. Can migraines cause these particular symptoms? She even went a period of 2 years without headaches. Now they have returned even worse. I feel she should insist on a lumbar puncture? Please help!! I need some expert advice. Thanks!