New Reply New Topic Followed by 18 people

This doesn't happen always, but between 5-10 times a week I will hear (or appear to hear) a noise which vaguely sounds like someone quickly ripping a piece of paper or cloth when I move my eyes from one point to another (left to right, up to down, etc). I guess I'm just trying to figure out is this really happening, or am I suffering from some type of auditory hallucination?

There doesn't seem to be any single set of circumstances it occurs in.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

you could possibly have fluid build up behind your eyes which could be caused by sinus pressure. if you have a history of sinus infections or sinusitis this could be a culprit. do you feel like you have a lot of pressure behind your eyes, like they are bulging? do you hear a clicking sound when you close your eyes really tight? do your eyes seem to water excessively? do you wake up with mucus discharge in your eyes? these could all cause this problem. you should also visit an ophthalmologist they can run tests which your normal optometrist cannot.

you should read this!

http://www.blog4brains.com/2007/02/19/can-you-hear-your-eyeballs-move/

myklj999 wrote:

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

I had something similar the other day, while suffering from chills that the A&E (ER) doctor said was probably some infection that he couldn't find.

The wierd thing was, if I moved my eyes left or right, I heard the noise which sounded like shaking rice in a tin can or paper cup, but if I moved my eyes up and down, ... silence.

I know this was posted awhile ago, but not too long ago i visited my optometrist and i remembered to ask. Which in itself was amazing because this has been happening a long time. Tearing a piece of paper, shaking rice or the sound of light scratchy, swishy noise but i notice that it is after just waking or eyes closed for awhile but they feel heavy and just goes away. The doctor said she had never heard of this but i may send this posting to her. Any luck from anyone else?

I have a similar situation. When I move my eyes left or right more than about 15 degrees I hear a distortion of whatever sounds may be around. Moving up and down doesn't cause hearing changes.

I have a Rheumatologist who's thinking Sarcoidosis is responsible for lots of my symptoms, but here's how I described it to him...

In Star Wars, imaging someone holding a light saber still (the humming noise). If I listen to that humming sound and move my eyes left/right, the distortion is exactly the sound made when someone is swinging a light saber. Very geek description, but he precisely understands what I'm trying to say.

If anyone fits my description, please let me know the medical term for this. Apart from the above, I also have severe chronic maxillary and sphenoid sinusitis. Good luck!

Wow Guys!
I am glad I found someone having the same trouble. Buddies......its a huge mystery and I have even talked to a Neurologist about it but even he could not understand the issue. Yaa...it happens too with me at absolute random times. I hear strong humming while moving my eye balls like ghooon...ghoooon! Sometimes I feel scared sometimes I don't.. Once I experimented by taking two 3 mg pills of Lexilium (Bromazipam) and in the morning it was gone and was gone for a few days.

Thank goodness someone has the light saber sound! I have been trying to explain it and just got weird looks. When this happens to me, which has been more frequently, i get extremly light headed and nausious. When i move eyes left to right is worse than up and down. Very annoying and sometimes hurts as well as scary when driving

so glad i found these accounts.. i have had this sound from moving my eyes but only while closed and the house has to be completely quiet, if i move them right to left and it makes the noise of paper ripping, nothing when moved up and down but a slight pressure to move them even tho my eyes are closed. what is this from and how do i stop worrying about it.

you many want to look into superior canal dehiscence syndrome (SCDS). one of the main symptoms is Autophony which is a person's own speech or other self-generated noises (e.g. heartbeat, eye movements, creaking joints, chewing) are heard unusually loudly in the affected ear.

see this link for more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_canal_dehiscence

I seem to be experiencing the same noise when I move my eyes left to right, and quite frankly it's a little scary. My problem also involves excessive sweats. I'm menopausal, but these sweats are worse than those I experience with menopause. Then there's the matter of bodily twitches along with the sweats and the occular noises accompanied by what I feel is a slight fever. I don't experience any kind of pains to say the least however. Unfortunately, I have no medical insurance and therefore wouldn't know where to seek medical atention for something like this which as I see is something uncommon to the medical field. Costs for Dr. visits would only pile up on me for which I'd have no way of settleing the accounts. If anyone has any information that I could benefit from in that regard I'd appreciate it very much. I feel this is not something I can ignore for too long without any medical attention or evaluation.

I have something similar, but it's not a ripping sound, it's a clicking sound. It happens in my left eye when looking to the right, and it developed slowly after hitting my head. I also see slightly double when looking too far to the right.

This is likely a complication of my TMJ (tempromandibular joint disorder). I went to an optometrist who specializes in vision therapy. He tested my eyes and was able to pinpoint the muscle responsible for the double vision. There is a small muscle called the superior oblique -- which is attached to the top/back of the eye -- that is the culprit.

Although in some people it could be a neurological problem (problem with the nerves firing to the muscle or muscle receiving impulses), in my case it seems to be that the muscle is prevented from moving freely due to the TMJ issues.

I've had improvement with craniosacral therapy, but it's still not gone. Vision therapy exercises do not seem to help.

i am so pleased I am not the only one, I had a head trauma almost 2 years ago and sufferred with double vision due to the interuption of the 4th optic nerve. the specialists who measured the extent of my vision said it would take approx 90 days for the vision to improve. which to my surprise it actually did but when the nerve came back i sufferred for the first time pain in the right eye top left inner corner, this pain is like having the pointy end of a pen pushed into the corner of the eye. I have seen so many specialists and neurologists that none can give me  a time frame or a remedy for this. My doctor has always said muscle related pain fom nerve injury can take up to 2 years to heal due to the muscle spasms. This has been backed up by a proffessor of neurology. The noise I am getting which comes on now and the lasts for up to 2 weeks at a time and is when I look from left to right or uo to down, I first had this 14 months ago and noticed it while driving, this I thought when first heard there was a problem with the car, I described it as like another car was going past at high speed and you have the wooosh. that first time conisided with a new medication that they tried for the pain and I had a bad reaction so they put it down to that, now when it comes back they just look at me strange. I have had it back now for the last week this noise and ontop of the pain I have been struggling to keep going everyone has been sympathetic with me but no one has been able to understand my frustrsation, I see my Doctor again today and it is going to be so good to be able to tell him that that hey I am not alone and best of all I am not mad. I would like to know if anyone is able to give advise for assistance I have lived on pain tablets for a long time until recently when I sufferred a heart attack so now I have to deal with the pain and the noise the worst was the depression as a result of being so alone, finding others that understand and have gone through or are going through this is the best medicine that I could ask for

happens with me too ! HELP :(

i am so sick of it. idont know what to do. it happens with me too! without any circumstances. every time i move my eyeballs in any direction these cracking clicking noises come and then i feel airr inside my eyes and water or ehatever the liquid is starts to come out (only a little) my sister laughed at me and my mom said thats scary. even they could hearthe voices. help!