I hope someone can help me out. I have just gone thru a bad bout with insomnia. I have been on quite a few medications thru the last 4 years. The insomnia came about just as I was comming down with some type of bacterial infection. The doctor put me on cipro. I have been on it for about 5 days now. Yesterday was very bad, evey time I walk i get these "shocking" feelings thru my head and body. I am also suffering from bad back problems and have been on everything from fentenyl,percocet, and I am comming off of a few weeks of methadone. I have been off the metadone for about 3- 4 weeks now, and the doctor has put me on Gabentin. I was to take it 3 times a day, but could not tolerate it ,so he told me just take it at night for now. I feel like i am going to crawl out of my skin on some days. This whole feeling of getting the "electric shock feeling" is very scary.I hope someone out there may have some type of an answer for what this might be. PLEASE HELP.

I have the same feeling. I googled it because I am experiencing the shock feeling throughout my body. I take effexor and started Chantix today. It is the worst feeling ever! Did you ever get any answers?

I recently have been having the same electric shock feeling......in my head and body.....My wife thinks I am crazy when I tell her about it. I have been seeing a physical therapist for a shoulder injury and told him but he didn't think anything of it. I have also had surgery on my neck (nerve problem) that caused complete paralysis in my left hand..........The surgery didn't help what so ever and ended up having a tendon transfer in that hand. I have been on various medications, but recentyly decided to titrate myself off of Paxil......It seems thats when the electric shock feelings started..........I worried about seizures but have never had one yet. I also have alot of stress which my wife minimizes....financial work christmas etc. I really don't know what to do at this point. Sometimes I think I have one of those "rare diseases" that are never tested for until it's too late............Crazy thinking, but what am I to think.

I too have that feling on and off. I have no answer to that question. I am so fortunate to read that I am not going "Crazy".The reason I decided to do a search of this electrical zap feeling it has  been going on all day. With each new one it feels really uncomfortable. I don't know if i can become more intense. I have no idea how to explain it. Do any of you ever get a chill and then you get this somewhat electrical charge through out your body. Quivering is the best way I can explain it. My body,I do not think it does, really gets to jerking and it feels like it involves  my whole body in and out.I tell ya...between this constant sweating tand now I am vibrating I must really look good.Like one of the other poster's request you may contact me by email at _[removed]_, or manually reply to this site. This goes for everyone else who would have some thoughts or suggestions.We could use this time of vibrating to start a dancing craze that will sweep the nation.   

You guys have not lost it, your mind or anything else. I have experienced these for several years now as a result of antidepressant meds. Not my pace to say anyone else is on them, but I have recently gone through a dual change in meds and they only got worse-the electrical impulse sensations I mean. I believe it is the medication because I did not have these until I started anti-D meds and they have only occurred in two circumstances...1) if I miss a dose of my currrent med, and 2) my recent change in meds. My experience has been that it shows itself when there is a lack of meds. Just my guess based on my experience. Hope that helps some.

I am in the army and been dealing with this feeling for about a year now and about a week ago I had seen a neurologist about what was going on and after a few test and looking into what I said was happening to me the doctor said it was a type of Migraine. Even though it was not cause a headache, when the swelling in your brain from a migraine happens it is pushing on some nerves or something like that. I hope this helps some people out and eases the thought of anything too crazy going on.

I just registered at this site after a Google search on electrical shock. I have had this problem off and on for about 25 years. At first it just happened sporadically, often with a year going by before another "attack". These would affect different parts of the body including the head. Then in the past two years I've been having it more and more frequently. It now usually affects the arms and hands and my hands will frequently shake at the same time. I have even dropped things due to the resulting tremor following the zap. I also get them in my legs, mostly the calves and feet but have had them starting in the thighs and running down to the feet. I do have idiopathic peripheral neuropathy and general torsion dystonia amongst a veritable resume of illnesses. So far no fixed diagnosis has explained the zapping. Most of the docs just dismiss it. I'm seeing a new neurologist and I hope he will take it seriously. If I get a diagnosis I'll post it.

I used to have the electric shocks but they didn't start till i started taking busbar then i stopped taking them now they are gone then i was on klonopine 2mg was fine then haven't taken them in over 3 weeks now. Shocks are back. its all part of the nervous system

I totally sympathize with all of you who suffer from this strange and at times anxious feeling. I go thru it too. I suffer from Fibromyagia and have over the past 13 years have taken antidepressants off and on. Everytime I go off of them (antiD's), I end up with this shocking/zapping feeling. It seems to happen every 10 seconds or so all day long, for days/weeks/months. Sometimes it leaves me feeling anxious and scared. If for example I'm blow drying my hair, I'll hear thumping, or if it's quiet I'll hear whooshing. I am so tuned into it that I can say the noise happens twice consecuatively. I've had times when I've been blow drying my hair and have been startled by the noise thinking someone is banging on a wall or door.

I have mentioned it to my doctor and he has no idea. I was seen in emerg once for it because I had the sensation throughout my whole body. Previous to this time, I only ever had it in my head, lips, tongue, hands and once in a while my chest. I am in a Fibromyalgia support group and it's surprising how many of them have had this same experience. Seems we all have something in common; withdrawl from antidepressants.

This is just the conclusion we've come to and it is somewhat comforting to know others suffer from the same symptoms and we are not losing our minds or imagining it. Still it would be nice to have a definate answer. If anyone should receive one, please let up know, Thanx!

I was feeling completely normal November 08 then after a series of very hard stress;
I started getting zapping or snapping sensations here and there...just randlomly.
Then I looked up peripheral neuropathy...and saw a long list of possibilities....well,
that just did me in as I thought for months I had HIV, HEP C, etc.....(now ruled out but
that took 6 months to wait for) I totally had a breakdown on this waiting period and then
all the other possibilities to...none of them good. I was precribed lorazapam...and cannot
sleep without it because of the burning, tingling, pins and needles....this feels like a vicious
cycle. I have a hard to concentrating now and worried about every possible aliment.

HIV, HEP C and Diabetes neuropathy has been ruled out. So has anemia...although my iron was
low; not competely depleted. It maybe fibromyalgia and something else...this is the hardest
time in my life.

does anybody know how to make the shocks less painful or less frequent?

Hey guys I have been having the same feeling as well. The electrical shock feeling is especially bad when going to sleep or waking up. Also it will happen when I'm doing something throughout the day (but rarely). I haven't gone to see a neurologist, but I have gone to see a doctor as to a pain I have also been having under my left shoulder. Doctors have said its panic attack/anxiety for me. But the odd part is:
1. I'm 21 this hasn't ever happened before
2. I have been stressed but not any more than usual
3. And when I begain feeling this shock feeling was about 2 years ago before I had some so called "panic attack," which has been accompanied by fever for about a month, dizziness, rapid heart beat, also pretty bad chest pain when excersizing, and extreme fatique.
4. Pain under left shoulder what the doctors say was muscle problems(but she didnt even touch there to see if it were muscle problems, and its lasted for one month as well as other symptoms)
5. Finally this has just popped up this month?!?!?!

Does anyone know what it could be. Cause I really dont believe right when I got ill (fever, and this dizziness, etc..) this is all due to panic attack/anxiety? If anyone could give advice or help it would be much appreciated!

I'm also a smoker if that could have anything to do with it??

I am experiencing these" electric shock sensations" in my brain and a zapping feeling in my body while on Lexapro and Chantix. These feeling are scary and make me fear seizure or worse a stroke. I have reported these strange sensations to my psychiatrist and he seems to dismiss these side effects but I tend to notice them more when I have gone over the period of time when my meds were due almost like a "withdrawl" symptom.I am relieved to now know that other people are experiencing the same ting and I'm not "crazy" in feeling these sensations. They are uncomfortable and can result in anxiety and panic attacks for me, I also have noticed a raid heart rate and the sensation of my heart "skipping" or palpitations, these are symptoms I plan on discussing with my doctor and hopefully get some answers and resolution of these side effects

I am having the same shock feeling as everyone else and doctors have no idea. It's frustrating me because I have every so often...and it is very difficult to explain to the doctors...when I try to explain, they look at me as if I'm not explaining right and they have no idea what I'm talking about. What is comforting is that there are other folks out there that are feeling the same thing. If someone has an answer, please share.

Thank you...

Hi I have a question for all. does anyone take an antidepressants like zoloft or pacsal. Because it seems like whenever I miss a few days taking xoloft the shocks get worse.