Hey, I am 13 believe and I have random heart pains all the time. The pain last for seconds at a time. My heart rate per minute is around 80-86, 170-190 when active and running, if that helps at all. I am going to see a doctor soon, but I was wondering if anyone knew what this could be. I am really worried :$

Thank you,
Stephen

Hey - I stumbled across your question literally while searching google for "normal heart pains".

I am 16 now, but have been experiencing similar problems since I was 12. From the what I have experienced, seemingly "random" heart pains are common among people of this age; its just that some tend to notice them more than others. The pain I am describing is a sort of sharp, jabbing pain, feeling like somebody is stabbing you in the chest for a second or two. For me, this pain usually occurs on the left side of my body. Speaking to a lot of students at school, it seems to me like I am not the only one experiencing these. The same goes for heart palpitations: that weird, light-chested feeling as if your heart has skipped a beat or has really screwed up a beat. As it turns out, everyone experiences those from time to time.

However, of course, the concern grows if these pains occur very freqently - we're talking about at least once every 15 minutes, for a week or longer. I personally have experienced two weeks straight with such symptoms. I couldnt understand it: I had just finished running in the cross-country season at school and had experienced no problems, and suddenly I had these strange pains again. And then they dissappeared, and the next week was normal.

Now I went to the doctor for different reasons, because recently I have been experiencing some fatigue and an accelerated heart rate. Once again, its somewhat inconsistent. Over the christmas break I was feeling pretty lousy, but today I feel just fine.

So long as your symptoms are limited to chest pains that only last a few seconds, there is nothing for you to worry about at this point. I too was worried as hell at first, but speaking to other people, it seems that quite a few other people experience the same discomforts as well. Worring only makes the problem worse. It is still good to see the doctor to clear your conscience, but as long as your symptoms dont include extreme fatigue, or constant pains (very extreme) that last for minutes on end, you should be alright ;-) .

As for me, I saw the doctor, and he sent me to some specialists. I had an ultrasound performed (it was a little freaky, but not bad... although i had some fat, scary Russian lady perform it %-) ) and i had to wear a heart monitor for two days. I am still waiting for my results, but from the looks of things, I should be quite alright :-D

And so at this time, dont worry about your heart, because there is likely nothing wrong :-) . This is the age where a lot of growing takes place too, and there are many muscles, especially around the chest, that are going to feel sore. The doctor will look into things, but dont be too anxious about it. If he says that you are perfectly normal, but you still experience pains, then it may help if you cut down on chocolate and caffeine (because they can make the symptoms worse) and get into a regular exercise routine ( like I have just started this year with cross country! :-) ). This way, you can ensure a healthy cardiovascular system (so theres less need to worry) and pick up on healthy habits that will be of great benefit in the years to come.

Cheers, and best wishes,
Ryan

heyy, i found this post really usefull thanks.

i noticed that my heart had been skipping a beat, then responding with a stronger beat (i looked this up on wikipedia and its called Premature Venticuar Contraction, PVC), this was quite freaky and got me really worried, thus id notice my heart rate more, i also experiance random chest pains from time to time. i was convinced i had heart problems

i went to the doctor and he gave me an ECG, i have sinus arithmia (my heart rate alters with my breathing) but other than that im fine.

my heart rate was 70. but ive noticed it being MUCH faster than this, however this could be due to dehydration.

also ive had pins and needles in my fingers and lips :S?

relived to know that im not alone in this

It shouldn't be anything too bad, i know this is a late reply and It might have been sorted out but just for the sake of it :-P me and my older brother who is 18 now and still has them, and me who is 13 still have random heart pains on the left side, it doesn't last long at all for me nor my brother but about 5-10 seconds and we don't get them to often maybe once every two months sometimes 3 and after reading some of the reply's I think it isn't much, and besides were going through alot of growing around this age and i'm going to my family doctor for a checkup anyways so i hope you find out about this :-P hope it isn't much! by the way i just had a random heart pain before i replied here but my last one was a loong time ago :-)

Oh phew! I just had one of those random stabbing pains in the heart area a few minutes ago, and I was really freaking out cuz I never knew why they came. But I feel a lot better now that I've read this. XD Thanks everyone!

Ooh, with the heart skipping a beat, I sometimes feel that too. :O But I noticed that that only comes when I forget to breathe and then my heart is begging for oxygen :-P (i think...) haha

I am 15 and I am also experiencing it since I was 13. It happens about twice a month. And sometimes the pain is soo extreme that I couldn't speak anything and it seems like someone is stabbing with a needle in my heart. Mostly it lasts for about a minute. But sometimes continuously for 5 minutes. and at the time of pain, my heart rate increases and it begins to beat fastly. I rub the area. I begin to worry, what if its heart attack? or Am I dying?
Really Worried SOmetimes...

I prefer a homeopathic medicine "DIACARD (Golden Drops)" really useful.

omg I had the exact same thing. heart skipping beats, scariest thing ever but apparently its not life threatening and yess I have a sinus arithmia too !! and little chest pains !!

I am 18 and I get chest pain as well every other day for me and had it for about 2-3 weeks when it does happen does anyone like flinch (jump and spaz) because your so worried because I always do. I always think I'm having a heart attack not good but I'm deffo not because I would of had one by now I'm guessing. I would like some ideas tho on how to decrease this heart stabbing pain on the left side of my rib. Another thing I sometimes get is a bit of dizzy Ness dosent last long tho I wondered if it was to do with my heart. Thx and any suggestions

I get very scared and worried when this pain happens!! (Especially at night) sometimes I feel a little dizzy, and sleepy. It hurts where my heart is, sometimes on the right side of my chest, and in between. I'm so freaked out I really want to know what it is!! There's sometimes this stabbing pain that goes for like 1sec, and this sort of ticklish squezy pain that goes for 5-10. When I take a deep breath, just before breathing out, I hold my breath for 5 sec. This makes the pain go away. It helps me, but I don't know if it will help you

Hey, thanks so much. This has been going on for a while now and has been getting more frequent which is as I'm sure you already know, terrifying as balls lol. Anyways, thank you for calming me down and relax about this.
Much appreciated,
Some random person on the internet looking to see if they might die (jk, plz don't freak out over that or take it seriously in any way)