Hi there

If this is a little long winded, sorry but I want to be as clear as possible. This was originally a problem that was related to excercise but over the last year has just become random. Originally after excersise (sometimes) or sudden movement my heart beat would change a gear, not increase gradually form about normal to about 4 beats per second. Usually after about 5 - 10 minutes i could make it go away by putting my head down very low and taking a long deep breath. On the beginning of the exhale, my heart rate would suddenly click back a gear to the original pace (not a slow decrease) with the first beat seeming to miss and leaving me momentarily light headed. Recently what has been happening is that this has been occuring radomly irrespective of my activities and sometimes lasting up to 18 hours without clicking back a gear. These longer episodes have one difference though, the beats are very irregular and seem to be much less pounding than the shorter episodes but with the same hollow thudding feeling in my chest. sometimes i can make it go in literally 30 seconds, but the irrigular beating episodes are very difficult to control hence the long periods of time. Also after the long sessions I am left with a dull pain in that area for a few hours. Let me emphasise that this is not just excercise related and is not at all similar to the increased heart rate feeling after excersise (which I also experience like every other person). There is nothing gradual about this, it is two distinct and sudden changes, with a hollow and slightly painful sensation in my heart area. I remember having these sensations as a child and presumed it was normal. A few years back I went to a hospital but nothing ever came of it. I am not a person who is easily anxious or stressed (I have lived with this for years) but after the recent change in events it has started to worry me a little. I hope you can at least point me in the right direction with this as it is disabilitating and when it occurs each time, all I can do is sit and try to calm it down, or at the most do things slowly.
Thank you for taking the time to help.
Paul

I have been experiencing this for yrs but recently its getting worse. I will make a quick sudden movement, bending donw and getting up fast or, getting up fast from the couch ro being starteld will trigger it. my heart instantly beats extremely fast and it will last anywhere from 3 min to 30 min. I dont know what this is and its getting scary
. anyone relate

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

HI PAUL , MY NAME IS RITA AND I KNOW WHAT YOUR FEELING AND IT SUCKS, IM ONLY 25 YEARS OLD AND I'V BEEN DEALING WITH THE SAME THING FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS AND I HAVE IT BAD IT AFFECTS ME EVERYDAY. I THINK WHAT YOU HAVE IS A CONDUCTIVE PROBLEM ,LIKE ME ...AND ITS OK ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE THIS. THE ONLY THING MY HEART DOC SAID IS, SOMEDAY WHEN IM OLD I [MIGHT] NEED A PAGEMAKER, EVEN WITH THAT ...ITS NOT SO SCARY, SO HANG IN THERE AND GET CHECKED BY A HEART DOC AND YOU WILL FEEL ALOT BETTER.

I have had the same issue my whole life, except it happends at any givin moment, moreso stress free ones. Anyway, when I was 18 I went in for an ekg because of anxiety at that time was putting pain in my chest. The dr. told me I had WPW Wolfe-parkinsons white syndrome...Its hard for me to eplain exactly what it is, basically an extra "electric" impulse in my heart that makes it speed up really fast randomly...at that point I can caugh abruptly and it will go back to normal. I worry about exercising. I do get light headed..bad..when it happends. There is a way to fix it, but if the proceedure goes wrong, youll need a pacemaker..and i opted out of the surgury. Hope this helps.

did you ever find out what it was?

I am 20 years old and this has happened to me since i was like 12 years old, back then it would usually happen after excercising and i remember going to the nurse's office in school and they could never find anything wrong and they actually thought i would fake it so i could get out of pe. If i watch what i eat and cut back on junk i can go with out this for a while i always thought i got this bc i've always been a bit overweight but lately i've been getting it pretty often. It starts with getting light headed followed by the abnormal palpitations and a cold sweat. i can usually make it go away by laying upside down or holding my breath and relaxing but there are times where it can take hours for it to go away which really sucks then i'm left with a soreness in my chest. I get this sometimes out of the blue but i can expect it after i have alot of greasy foods.

I have/had WPW.  When I was 14 i had the ablasion done.  It is the worst feeling ever.  They clocked my heart rate in well over 200 BPM when they finally figured out what it was.  here of late i have had a hollow thud feeling in my chest which feels similar to it...Hope it's not round 2.

I think I may have had the same thing starting when I was around 12. Playing tennis as a youngster I remember getting this feeling after serving where I would land hard on my front leg and that 'jolt' would kick start my heart into overdrive. I don't normally get any pains after it goes away however. It does seem to vary how long it lasts for, I've had it go away in seconds but also last for a few hours. I don't seem to get it randomly though. When I was 15-17, I stopped playing tennis regularly and barely did any physical activities and got it very rarely. It has also occurred from picking something off the floor quickly as well as laughing too abruptly (which really sucks when out with friends). I've been to a couple of doctors but they've never been able to tell me the cause. Also done a few blood tests now.