I'm really scared. I am female and I have recently turned 20. Two weeks ago I was going to sleep and I was having a lot of trouble getting a proper breath in. It was a  shortness of breath , I was gasping for breath, which has been a problem my whole life but no where near as severe (never been able to run, and barely walk up stairs, when i do my heart races a million miles an hour and takes ages to get satisfying oxygen in - even just when bending down to pick something up, light headed etc) - I have recently been told by 3 doctors I do not have asthma, my anemia is under control. My recent symptoms in the last two weeks (non stop) have been heart pain under my breast bone and in my chest and left arm pain quite intensely (this can sometimes ease, but will always be there), also though my neck and left back shoulder and near armpit - and sometimes in my left leg - plus the intense and non-stop feeling of getting the air in but not feeling satisfying (like being in a stuffy room, sometimes not being able to get a deep breath at all - especially when laying down), and choking sort of feelings in throat, and feeling really tight in the chest (this can be on and off too, but more on than off). I have also just started getting head aches. They told me anxiety attack and gave me valium but it doesn't help. I am healthy and barely eat junk food and am calorie conscious, drinking the recommended amount of water every day, and going for a night out of drinking once every three weeks (the only alcohol in take I have during month basically) - but in the last two weeks when the heart symptoms have arisen (and each day getting more painful and lasting longer), I feel like I'm going to die. Doctors don't seem to care. I went for an echocardiogram and the examiner is 90% sure that I am structurely ok (valves working ok, size of heart normal), but still waiting for results. There were also signs of arrhythmia. Any advice or clues as to what this would be. It has been non stop for 2 weeks now and the symptoms feel like they are getting worse. My heart rate can go up to 190bpm while power walking on a treadmill in the past (when I've been going to the gym for a year - not since I have had symptoms because I am too scared to go - but it will stay at this rate for a good half hour a few times a week when I have been) - but i keep exercising because I fear I'm just unfit (barre the last two weeks). I also drink energy drinks. I'm not getting answers at all, I keep getting fobbed off by GPs and i am desperate. I have been to emergency twice and they just sent me home and told me it was in my head - after having blood and urine tests coming back clear. I've heard so many stories about people just dropping dead from clots and I am freaking out. I am not under stress, I have not ever been as happy as I am now (apart from when this started) for a long time. PLEASE HELP!

... To add... I also do not smoke.

Hi, you mention that following your echo there were signs of arrhythmia, how was this detected? have you had a heart tracing (ecg) done at any point?

The fact that you are healthy and young means that normally your heart rate at the gym wouldn't be a problem, however you mention that this rate can be for periods up to 30mins during the day even when you are not exercising.... this could be.

Certainly stress and anxiety can account for a lot of your symptoms, as can energy drinks, however if you are experiencing multiple episodes of a racing heart beat, unrelated to physical exertion, with associated chest pain, then I strongly suggest that you seek another opinion. Try to see the doctor when the palpitations are happening, ask for a 24hr ecg to be done, and if you do end up in hospital then ensure that cardiac bloods are done to check the enzyme levels (indicators of heart damage) if necessary call for an ambulance. Try to keep a diary of when this is happening, what you have done that day and how fast your heart is going in order to try to identify trends or exacerbating factors.

Hope this helps

When they did the echo, they did the ECG at the same time and noticed that at one point my heart beated to early then waited a while then started beating again. It only happened once while in there, but its been happening for almost two weeks on and off - with the pains constantly there.

With the exercise - I'm sorry I didn't explain myself properly. At no stage has my heart raced during the two weeks - this has only gotten to the 190bpm levels while doing strong walking - not even running. I will be exercising for 30 mins and this is the rate which I have heard is far too high. My sister will be on the same levels on the treadmill, same time, and her heart rate will be at a normal level of about 130ish - with about a quarter of the exhaustion I have. So basically, while I have had symptoms for the last two weeks, I have decided not to do exercise because I don't want to over do a problem that I am not sure what it is, and in turn my heart beat has remained quite normal through every day life.

When I went to hospital they did alot of blood tests, and as I was complaining of strong pain in the chest and not being able to breathe, I would say they did the necessary tests you mentioned.

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

I also cough up a lot of phlegm, mainly in the morning, which will after a few induced coughs, have a fair amount of black content. The doctor said this could be residue from passive smoking, but no smoker or non smoker I have ever known has had this. Doctor is not concerned. I also has chest x-rays, lungs fully inflated and clear. I also have quite a fear of dying or losing my partner, as in the past my life has been sh*t, and things are great now, and my greatest fear is that he will be taken away. It's not intense, but I do think about it sometimes and get upset - but not greatly. I've heard anxiety symptoms include sweating, nausea, dizziness, rapid heart beat and trembling, which I have not experienced. I have noticed that I am more snappy at people than usual, but I just put this down to being uncomfortable.

I have also noticed that I my nose is restricted more in my breathing than my throat. Not flu like symptoms, not mucas... Just like someone is squeezing my nose :-(

to be honest your symptoms do sound anxiety related, and if you have had all of the tests you describe and they have all come back ok then I really suggest that you try to relax a little and not worry quite so much. It seems as though you are acutely aware of every single blip and this hyperawareness is bound to make you notice things that normally you wouldnt think twice about.

Try for the next few days to get on with your day to day activities and not think about what your body is doing - to reassure you a lot of people your age have the odd arrhythmia and if this was going to be an issue then it would be playing up during the day as I described before.

It may be worth looking into some cognitive behavioural therapy to help you manage the negative thought patterns you have developed, speak to your doctor or someone else that you trust.

of course if things continue to develop with regards to your help, then ensure you head back to your doctor as I advised earlier.

Sorry I cant help you further

I really appreciate the time you took to help me out. I'll take your advice and try and relax over next few days while results are being processed.
I'll let you know how they go.
Thank you :-D

A couple of things...

1. Find a doctor (Cardiologist) or Emergency Room that is close to you and when the symptoms start, go right away for an ECG. This way they can see if it is actually your heart that is causing these pains and symptoms. If you choose to see a doctor, first make sure it is okay for you just to pop in and set up an eval so they can get to know you.

2. Have complete blood workup done. Make sure they do a complete Thyroid check as well. If you have a Hyperactive Thyroid it can cause you to feel anxious and many of the other symptoms you described.

I too as a child could not run very far without getting out of breath. I would get dizzy and feel really tired. It was not until I was 30 that the chest pains, under the ribs below my left breast started and in the armpit area as well. It got so bad that I could not walk from my living room to the kitchen without feeling like I was going to pass out. The pains felt like someone was stabbing me in the heart with a very small sharp knife. Finally, after several doctors (some who told me it was in my head, I had Post-Pardom Depression, having Anxiety Attacks, Fibromyalgia...) and a year of going back and forth a Wonderful General Doctor gave me an ECG. My ECG was so bad he called a friend who was a Cardio and got me in that day. I had a 24 hour ECG. They found that my resting heart rate was 190, that's right, when I was sleeping my heart rate was 190. It was even higher during daytime hours. Basically it was like I was running a Marathon 24/7. Needless to say, they diagnosed me with Wolf-Parkinson-White Syndrom and Mitral Valve Prolapse. I was put on medication right away and started feeling better.

The thing with WPW is it will not always showup on an ECG. You have to be "In WPW" for it to appear. Those who have symptoms as a child are at higher risk then those who start symptoms as an adult. I had ECG's done as a child for other reasons and they were always normal. This is a congenital heart defect, so I was born with it.

Later in life they found that I also have a Hyperactive Thyroid and think that I might have Graves Disease. We have not confirmed this, because I am currenty nursing my daughter and cannot have the test done. **Even with these issues I have three wonderful children. I just eat right, exercise and try to stay healthy.**

Anyway, just don't give up in finding out what is wrong. If I had listened to all the other doctors, I would not be living now. More than likely I would have died in my very early 30's. WPW is an electrical isssue that would have eventually put me into Cardiac Arrest and weakened my heart severely if continued to be untreated. Just if you don't feel that the diagnos is currect, don't give up!

Hi, thanks for your input, however as you will have read all of the points raised in your post had already been discussed, including the importance of ruling out any physiological causes.
I am glad your wpws and graves disease were identified and are being managed appropriately.

Thank you so much for your input! It really touched me about what you have been through and it is very admirable to share that with us.

I recently had 3 ECGs that were normal (different times), except the 3rd one had one part with arrhythmia (one beat came in too early then paused). This 3rd one was while I was getting an echocardiogram done.

The echo came back normal... with a mild pressure on something.. but still normal. I am still going to a cardiologist in 2 weeks anyway, because there are still causes for concerns and I'm not satisfied at leaving it at that.

I recently got blood tests done for cholesterol, thyroid function, iron (which i know is normal again), vitamin D and a range of other things. They have also done lots of blood tests when I have been to the emergency ward twice.

All the results are yet to be given to me, but i will let you know how i go.

Thanks so much for your advice.

X

Thyroid, cholesterol all fine. Vitamin D lower than normal so he advised me to take supplements. Also, my blood count is low and the red blood cells are the wrong shape. Going to a specialist about that too soon hopefully. :/

Hang in there, okay? I know it's probably tough right now but they'll figure out what's going on soon enough, okay? Just keep us posted so we can offer support, okay?

Thanks heaps :-)

Came down with a viral infection the other day. Swallowed asprin and now I have stomach ulcers. :-( Feels like its never gonna end :-(

I can promise you that it does get better! HOw are you doing? It sounds like you were really sad the last time you posted. PLease let me know you're doing better! Thanks.