I'm 20 years old and female. Ever since I was ten I can remember having a sharp pain in my chest - like someone is stabbing me. It's extremely intense and lasts for 10-20 seconds usually. When it occurs, I usually have to hold my chest or just hold something tightly because it hurts so bad. I'm not usually doing anything extreme or physically active. It also isn't a steady thing; sometimes it will happen a few times a week, or a few times a month...or a few times every few months, I never know. I know this is serious and I feel like it's going to kill me one day. I have looked up heart problems and the only thing I could find that relates to this is angina; but I think I'm too young to have that. I don't have health insurance at the moment, so I can't go to a cardiologist. I just wanted to see if anyone thinks they know what this could be - and if it is deadly or something that can be treated with some type of medication.

I really feel for you, because this used to happen to me! From about the time I was ten until 22, I had quick sharp chest pains. There's some information about it on Google if you can look it up. I can't recall the exact name of it but it's something like Random Chest Pain Syndrome or something. It's supposed to only happen while you're growing (and you are, to a small extent) but it does go away. I still think it's a good idea to see a physician about this as soon as possible, but if you're describing the symptoms properly, it's actually supposedly normal. Again though, be sure to see a doctor once you do get insurance. Good luck to you!

Hello Chrissydawn;
it sounds like what you have is a condition called
Precordial Catch Syndrome.
Here is a wikipedia article on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome
You describe sharp, intermittent pains that occur irregularly. It is a form of Angina Pectoris, which means any kind of Chest Pains, be they from the chest wall, chest mussel, surrounding organs like the Lungs and of course the Heart.
There is an off chance that it might be a heart valve defect, but absent any other symptoms, I highly doubt this. Still research PCS, or Precordial Catch Syndrome.
And when you do get some insurance or save a few bucks, schedule an appointment with a cardiologist. Good Luck! :)