My best friend is in awesome shape. He has a little over 5% body fat but he works out a lot and very hard. He plays College Men's Basketball so no matter what he's always playing or working out. Recently in the past year on a number of occasions he complains of having really sharp chest pains sometimes for up to 15 minutes. These pains are so bad that he almost has to fight them off. Also his heart starts beating really fast and really loud. Even on a regular day I can always see and feel his heart beating in several different parts of his body. His parents know he has these conditions every once in a while but he won't go back into the doctor even though he knows it's a problem. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be or how serious it might be??

Thats so weird, im having this problem too, but its been going on for a week with deep and heavy breathing and my heart feels like its pounding like crazy, even by the shortest walk..., im very physically fit and i move A LOT, liftg mad weights and im not really a lazy guy,i just really hope its something thats temporary and can be dealt with, i hope your friend gets better soon, and tell him to stop being stupid cause it might be a heart problem, so let him go to the docs, im gonna go to the docs soon as well...just convince him to go to the docs.

Lately i have been experiencing the same thing since like this summer, cept mine is always beating very hard and usually slow. I sometimes have sharp pains about once every few months or so, but the main thing is when i sleep my heart is always beating around 54 beats per minute and harder than ever, making it hard to even sleep. I can sometimes even hear my heart beating in my eardrums and feel it everywhere, such as my fingertips, chest, feet, legs, eyes, ears, and wrist. Someone tell me whats going on. I've went to the doctor but I just have an irregular heart beat. We'll see though someone help me

I know what you mean about the chest pains. I have been getting them for years. Its a sharp pain in the chest and feels like you can`t breathe. I am not 24 years old. I know for me it feels like my heart skips a beat and that is where the pain starts for the most part. It also comes and go. I have been looked by the doc and they tell me that everything is ok... However it never feels ok when it happens again. I know all of your pain but there has to be something that the doc can say is wrong or something. I am glad that I am not the only one who feels like this.

I'm a 22 year old male @ 155lbs (non-smoker and social drinker). I've been a very active and competitive athlete most of my teenage life but stopped for 2 years. Since then I've been getting the same symptoms you guys seem to be describing. Sharp chest pains that feel like your breast bone is about to crack and irregular heart beats. I've seen up to three doctors and they basically laughed it off...saying I am young and in good health. However, I wouldn't like to end up like the hundreds of athletes who have collapsed and died in the past. I started to work out and watch what I eat. I also try to get enough sleep now. I've noticed my chest pains are slowly going away. I've also stopped drinking caffeine and noticed the irregular heart beats disappearing. I just don't know what to do. I don't know how long this would work.

ive been experiencing all of these problems to and found this site when i looked to see if i have an "average" heart rate. im a 19yr old male and am pretty active and fit. dont smoke and am a social drinker. just wondering if anyone seems to know the actually problem. just glad to know im not the only one

I'm 19 and I have the same thing most of you guys are describing. I'm pretty sure what you are describing are panic attacks. The symptoms of a panic attack seem to describe the symptoms talked about here. Your chest feels like it skips beats, your heart begins to pound, you feel dizzy, sharp pains, etc. all when you are doing nothing strenuous. Most likely panic attacks! You can have them every single day, or only just a few every couple of months. On the brightside, they can not kill you! Tons of people have this, including me. It sucks ass, but they can go away for long periods of time.

I do not think that what they are talking about is panic attacks. Sharp chest pain is not usually part of it, and I think that whenever you feel chest pain that it's a good idea to see a doctor just to rule out any serious heart problems. I hope that anyone else in here also has gone to talk to a doctor about it too.

i'm intrigued by all of this...I'm 31 but have had these types of symptoms for years. EKGs and full work-ups have been done, with no concerns on the part of any of the MDs who did the work, according to them, i am in good health.

I did get some relief by some work with a Kinesiologist---not sure how familiar anyone is with that line of work, but it's essentially muscle-testing to determine organ function. A lot of people dismiss these alternate medical practices, but having gotten no results anywhere else, I found it helpful for me. One of the products used is called 5-MTHF, which is supposed to assist in cardiac function, and i think that it has done so. Is anyone out there familiar with 5-mthf? you can google search it very easily if you want to know more

My 19 yr old son is complaining about chest pains and heart racing. we took him to E.R. ~ EKG shows a "slight" irregular ? all other tests and blood work show up in his favor. we are now scheduled to see a heart doctor but i am afraid they will put him on medications he may not really need. He is making it worse as every time he even THINKS he had a pain he is running out of his room to tell me..
any sugguestions as to what it could be?

Well, when i was younger I actually had pretty regular chest pains and heart racing and it didn't show up at all. I know that younger people can get random chest pains which is scary and odd but it's true, and a bit strange. I know that it's harmless but I don't know it that's what your son has. How is he doing?

im 19 my heart is beating illregular and murmuring it sounds like what you stomache does when it growls am i ok??? please help

sounds like your all having panic attacks.....I had them before...
they gave me apo-lorazepam for them....
if they persist and you dont want to take meds then the best thing for you to do is cut back or stop drinking caffiene,
and when you feel it happening either relaxs in a shallow warm bath to relax you, or have someone
tell you a story....while you close your eyes and imagine it...
but still bring theese up to the doctor and see if they agree it's what you have...so your not wrongfully diagnosed.

How is your heart beating? If it is irregular you should see a doctor immediately, because that is not normal. Can you see one now?

I'm wondering if what some people on here are describing may be preventicular contractions (PVC's) Some doctors will swear patients cannot feel them, but if you are hooked up to a cardiac monitor and describe when you feel pain, it will often match the spikes in electrical activity. If this is the case, it really isn't something to be overly concerned about. Reducing stress and increasing your amount of sleep may be beneficial. They are also more common in the evenings and may occur unprovoked.