This post is an extension of the

Post vasectomy recovery thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I’ve read with interest the posts on the locked thread… and wanted to give my two cents.

I just had a vasectomy performed last Friday (4/10/09) and it is now nearly seven days later (Thursday).

I am happy to report that the whole experience has been very positive – I guess I lucked out after hearing some of the stories on the locked thread. I had talked to enough co-workers and family members to realize that the experience and recovery wildly fluctuate with each guy… but having gone through one week of recovery, I can tell you that it hasn’t been as bad as expected.

A few comments and tips:

1) Bring a jockstrap and wear it for at least 24 hours. I really think this made a big difference in recovery. It is important to keep everything together, and allow it to heal – and this did the trick. Tighty whitey’s wouldn’t have done the trick, I don’t think.

2) I had heard everything about frozen peas, but my Urologist recommended an ice pack created from 5 parts water and 1 part rubbing alcohol in a Ziploc. It breaks up easily, and stays “slushy” for easier application.

3) Take anything they give you before the surgery. I took a Valium-type pill that really helped me relax. Although I remember the surgery, it took the edge off the tough parts (the shot, the tugging, etc.) I also asked my doc if I could bring my iPod and he said “sure!” so I listened to music through the whole thing

I had the surgery performed at 9am. I took a percocet (sp?) right after… I enjoyed a great afternoon of complete relaxation. No pain at all. I took two more percocet that day, and felt so great that night, my wife and I decided to attend a surprise birthday dinner for a friend that we previously thought was a “no-go”. Being away from ice for a couple of hours wasn’t a big deal – but I kept ice on it pretty solid for 24 hours.

The next day I felt great. I was able to remove the gauze (just a little dried blood) but kept a jockstrap on to prevent contact. I did not take any percocet after the 1st day – but just took Extra Strength Tylenol before heading out to do things (church, etc.)

Monday (Day 3) – back at the office… no problems at all.

Wednesday (Day 5) – began light exercise on elliptical (I’m a runner, and was itching to get back exercising)

Wednesday night I really wanted to try out the new equipment, and felt ready to do so. I’ve read all kinds of advice online that say to wait from 72 hours after to 2 weeks after. My doc (who I’m beginning to trust more and more) had the best advice “Wait a few days or until you feel comfortable to do so”. I was ready (I had wanted to for a few days, actually… I felt like the procedure had a reverse affect than what occurs with other guys). My wife and I proceeded cautiously – but it went extremely well. Slight discomfort – but really very little pain during ejaculation. Same feeling, same pressure. I’m stoked!

I felt so great this morning, that I went running with my running partner. The jockstrap has worked wonders (I haven’t worn one of these things since High School… its like getting reacquainted with a long lost friend…)

Needless to say – the whole experience has been a good one. I would recommend it to anyone – realizing that each personal experience can be wildly different. I haven’t talked to anyone directly at work, church, family or neighborhood who has had a negative experience with it.

Good luck!

A few comments and tips:

Wednesday night I really wanted to try out the new equipment, and felt ready to do so. I’ve read all kinds of advice online that say to wait from 72 hours after to 2 weeks after. My doc (who I’m beginning to trust more and more) had the best advice “Wait a few days or until you feel comfortable to do so”. I was ready (I had wanted to for a few days, actually… I felt like the procedure had a reverse affect than what occurs with other guys). My wife and I proceeded cautiously – but it went extremely well. Slight discomfort – but really very little pain during ejaculation. Same feeling, same intensity. I’m stoked!

Good luck!

My question is how long did the puncture or hole take to heal for anyone who did not have it heal right away?

After reading the posts I feel pretty lucky. I just iced when I came home from the surgery and took 2 extra strength tylenol. Nothing else after. 5 Days after my vasectomy I played in a soccer game. Just played in a second game today, day 8.

Also, have had an ejaculation every day including the day of the suregery.

The first 2 days it felt like someone had kicked me in the groin the day before, but by day three everything felt fine.

It occurs to me that the main reason all the posts are so negative is because if you had a good experience you have no reason to look up why something is not going well with recovery.

My issue is that one of the "punctures" is not healing. Probably from too much vigorous activity, but my right side has healed with no scarring at all. Just curious if anyone can help me with the time frame to heal the punture.

Why are there so many posts with people getting stiches? You should all be getting the "no scalpel surgery."

I had my procedure performed on 4/19/09 and it's now about 3.5 weeks later. I'm still not 100% healed. The pain varies from barely noticeable to quite intense, and it's completely localized to one side. Tylenol or Advil usually takes care of it, but I don't want to take that for the rest of my life.

The pain is always there, to some extent. The doctor said it might be bruising along the vas, but said it should heal up "eventually". I'm getting worried though. I've read horror stories about men who have lifelong pain after the operation. Right now my quality of life is not severely impacted because I work a desk job, and I'm not a very active outdoorsy type anyway, but if I were a sportsman I'd be furious right now, there's no way I can do anything more active than careful deliberate walking.

Has anybody else out there had the snip and had it take several weeks to get better?

PS: If you do go through with it, get some Under Armour Boxer Jocks... they are amazing! I may just switch to wearing them forever.

I'm interested in more updates from folks that are weeks and months (even years) out from their VAS. I had mine done NO Scalpel 12 days ago. The procedure was painful in my case (I think the surgeon didn't allow enough time for the local to take effect). Very uncomfortable, shall we say. I would scrutinize the doctor and process a bit more were I to do over. Ice and jockey shorts for the first few days...almost constantly. Minor discomfort, which I expected. I had no bruising of the scrotum. The incision got a few sutures, but never bothered me. My concern is that 10-12 days out I still have a significant ache in the balls...which is worse shortly after an ejaculation. Like a lot of folks on these forums, I read about the "horror stories" AFTER the fact. (Should have done more research beforehand)
:$
It's reassuring to hear from guys that also had a longer recovery time than a few days or a week. Any one else have testicular pain for over a week? How long did it take to subside?

apollomike, thanks for sharing your experiences. I didn't know much about this surgery but I've been considering it. Thanks for shedding some light on the recovery process!

It has been six weeks now since I had my vasectomy and as long as I don't do very much I don't feel anything. Walking like Donald Duck is still necessay most of the time though. My problem is that my balls are still very sensitiv now and then (actually they have always been a bit sensitiv) and I still don't want to have sexual intercourse. I like sex a lot (like everybody who has a vasectomy) but I am afraid it will hurt. So I tried masturbation, but found out that it was great but made me suffer the next day. My balls are more sensitiv the next day after masturbation. After two weeks I started panicking, but on the medical forums, I read it is quite normal to suffer a bit (for some it is a lot) for several weeks or even months. And that knowledge relaxes me a lot. But i gues you don't read that in the offical hospital bulletins, because most men don't return to the doctor, because in most cases all problems ar gone after several weeks. And then you don't see them on these forums anymore.

9/23/09

I am 39, no kids and have been married for 13 years. My wife & I were always of the mind that we didn't want any but nevertheless waited to see if either of us would change our minds. As we both approached 40 we made the final decision to not have children and that I would get a vasectomy since it was a much simpler procedure. During the initial consult we had a bit of convincing to do; it was clear that not having any children caused the urologist some concern, but we were both pretty clear. He checked me out, everything looked fine and I was scheduled for the following Friday, August 7th, 2009. Then I found a bunch of websites that detailed PVPS and got pretty nervous, but ultimately took comfort in the fact that 500,000 vasectomies are performed each year in the U.S. (or is it globally?) and if that many men were routinely suffering severe long-term pain it would be a well-known issue. So, I swallowed my concerns and went through with it: single mid-line incision, closed-ended (cauterized) vasectomy.

The nurse took me to the operating suite, I stripped below the waist and covered myself with what was essentially a towel made of tissue paper. The doctor dropped by for a minute to see if all was in order then stepped out. He returned after a few minutes and doused my lower half with very cold fluid (iodine something?) which instantly made my sack shrivel right up. I thought - awesome, now he'll have really move my boys around to locate the vas. The doctor started on the left side - the numbing agent felt like a kick in the balls, but it was pretty brief. No problems on the right side. He then moved to the left, and WOW! - I really felt it: quite painful tugging (thanks shrinkage). He injected me 3 more times with numbing agent and shortly I felt no more pain and he completed the procedure. The cauterization wasn't painful, but smoke, burnt flesh smell and testicles don't go well together. I did get to see the parts of the vas the doctor removed: small, 1/4 inch pale linguine. My wife arrived, forgetting to bring my jockstrap . . . but I managed to hobble to the car with only discomfort rather than any actual pain.

The rest of the day and the next two days I just laid on the couch with ice, and sporadically took some pain pills - I don't mind some pain, but why have any when there are lovely pharmaceuticals to be had? Monday I returned to work for a couple of meetings (I'm a professor so don't have much of a schedule in the summer) - uncomfortable but not very painful. The left side, unsurprisingly (since that's where I felt pain during the procedure) was more sore and some small bruising came out. The right side felt fine. Still, a constant dull achey pain persisted generally. After 7 days, I took the equipment out for a solo test flight and everything worked and felt normal. Later that evening, my wife and I tried again. Sore, achey balls required very gentle exertions, but again all worked and felt just fine. Clearly sexual activity had no impact on the achey pain I was feeling.

After about 10 days, the same sort of pain persisted and so I revisited the urologist just to get an expert opinion. He examined me and said everything looked/felt fine. I felt better. However about 3 days later (13 days post-op) with the pain in the left side almost completely gone, the right side began hurting - again not particularly severe, but clearly noticeable. The right side remained painful, but the level of pain & discomfort slowly but steadily diminished. By 5 weeks post-op I reached the point where I went the whole day without really thinking about having had the vasectomy. I resumed exercise after about 10 days - first using an elliptical exercise machine, and shortly thereafter returning to running, although just on a treadmill - the pounding on the hard pavement is something I'm still not ready for. However, I have for the last two weeks run 5 days per week, 3-5 miles per run with no real problems - an occasional sensation (not really pain) that reminds me I need to be a bit careful still. All seemed fine - I was progressing through the post-op healing a bit slowly by improvement was continuous.

However, just when all seemed well . . . I was awakened yesterday morning by some pain in my left testicle (the one that was painful during surgery, but I'd had no pain, at all, in the left testicle for some weeks) and a noticeable amount of swelling. I took some anti-inflammatory pain pills all day, which dulled the pain slightly but did not eliminate it. This is actual pain, worse than any I have felt yet. I haven't engaged in any unusual activities in the immediately preceding time frame so I don't have any concrete sense of why this would occur - it seems out of the blue. Certainly there are some possibilities - epididymitis, a blowout and subsequent sperm granuloma, etc. I'm not totally concerned at the moment and so will wait a couple of days to see if there is improvement, but if not back to the doctor I go. I'll post again, should it be warranted. If not (it resolves on its own and I feel great forever after), I hope my experience helps: it wasn't a quick recovery in my case, but until yesterday I would say that its certainly tolerable and the steady progression was fine. As long as this current pain & swelling is just a small blip, no worries - I'd do it again.

I just had my vasectomy yesterday. It was pretty much uneventful. I felt a little pain on the left side during the procedure, needed a tad more local to numb the area, but it was nothing. Day two and I'm still waiting for this 'pain' everyone is describing. There must be a vast difference in how the procedure is performed, as so far for me, it's been pretty much pain free. I've done a lot of martial arts and sports, and have suffered broken ribs several times, torn hamstring, torn MCL, severely sprained ankle, injured back, and several broken fingers and dislocated thumbs. Every one of those injuries hurt far more than this. Heck, local soreness from a hard squat/deadlift workout hurts far more than what little to no pain this procedure has given me.

I haven't even touched the pain meds they gave me. I've just been keeping a frozen bag of veggies on my privates, as prescribed, that's about it.

The only hard part about this procedure so far is I've got the major horndogs. I can now have sex with my wife without being cautious or using condoms, so am ready to go to town! I've warned my wife several times to start limbering up because as soon it's ready to go, it's on.

I had mine two days ago and have had sex twice and masturbated once - 3 ejaculations in 48 hours now I'm sitting down with an ICE pack on the balls but I reckon I can go again.

6 days post Vas and still tender on right side. Left side, you would never know it was ever cut. Had sex for the first time this morning. Very slow and the ejaculation was painless and much needed. Seemed to relieve some of the "pressure" on my right testicle.

***edited by moderator*** ** inappropriate posting**

I'm 4 days post op and am feeling pretty good. My procedure was no big deal including the shots. My nurse said her husband had it done by my doctor and claimed it felt like someone grabbed his balls for 10 seconds when the needle went in. I said great, looking forward to it. When it came time for the antisthetic I told the doc I couldn't hardly feel anything. Even he was surprised and gave me a little more just to be sure he was in the vas. 20 minutes later I was done. Uncomfortable? Yes. In pain? No. The doc hooked me up on percocet cause I asked. Those have been more for fun than pain. Tylenol would be just fine. Don't take Advil, Aspirin, Ibuprofen products as these can cause bleeding. Pain scale is from nothing at all to a dull ache. Really less than you might expect. I have taken this procedure very seriously though as to play my part in the recovery process. I don't need PVPS for life so taking a week off work was an easy decision for me. A bit overkill? I don't know. From what I've read guys are anywhere from climbing Everest same day to laid out for 2 weeks so...it's up to you. At 4 days taking it SUPER easy I'm still swollen a bit and achey... glad I'm chillin around the house. Something I've noticed reading all these testimonials is a lot of the guys who complain of having issues sound like they went about it uptight. They were either stressed about the procedure, or antsy to get out of the house early on, or something they did too soon. Please notice I said a lot, not all guys. My sympathy goes out to the few that have done their part and are still in some state of pain. Hope you guys recover. My point is don't rush recovery. Don't let the wife or girlfriend give you the beat down about birthing children is more painful, get your ass back to work. She wasn't given a set of wedding tackle nor does she realize the tenderness of these babies. Most guys I've spoken to or read about took an average of a week to two weeks to feel back in the saddle. A few things that have helped me and others make a smooth recovery- WEAR YOUR JOCKSTRAP most importantly. STAY OFF YOUR FEET. Laying down preferably with your legs and feet elevated for at least the first 48 hours. I notice guys that develop Hematoma or sperm granuloma issues are not off their feet enough early on. Again, not a doctor just what I've noticed. Makes sense though that pressure from your torso being upright would cause pressure and more bleeding. ICE ICE baby. Peas are your friend. I went the first 3 days with as much ice as I could. Numb is better than uncomfortable. This also helps a lot with swelling especially in the first 48 hours. Really my best advice is to relax as much as possible. Especially during the procedure. If your nervous ask your doc for a valium an hour before. It can only help. You feel pain? No time for manning up. Tell the doc and he'll give you more antisthetic. But RELAX. Yes this is minor surgery but some guys really do get hurt. Do your part and you'll be alright.

8 Days post op. Nothing even close to what some of the people in this thread describe. I had no stitches and Im having an issue with the incision not wanting to close properly but I believe it is mostly my fault for messing with it too much. Regardless, Ive not taken one pain pill in the whole of the 8 days and it is not nearly as bad as people have made it sound if it is done correctly.

just got this done 9 hours ago and i didnt have a great experience to say the least
felt all the needles go in, get home take a nap after about couple hours i get up feels like someone punched me
there repeatedly took tylenol extra strength couple hours later now im feeling my actually balls hurting from the cuts
looked inside the bandages and i see some bloodspots on the right side... just took tylenol 3 few minutes ago
i just want to get knocked out now and hope for better day tommorow.
o and ice definetly helps a ton