Hello. I'm 40 year old male and I would like to find out more about some aspects of vasectomy operation.
I'm married for 15 years and have beautiful four children. I can say that I'm very satisfied with my sex life and I'm not embarrassed to say that I'm sexually active like I'm still a teenager.
Just recently, I talked with my wife about possible options for sterilization and we have came to the conclusion that maybe vasectomy is the best possible option.
I was just interested what should I know about post vasectomy recovery!

Hi. I have had the vasectomy operation last year and I remember my doctor told me that I will have no problems with recovery. But, it wasn’t like that. Vasectomy is an operation that involves the removal of a portion of the vas deferens-strong muscular tube which carries sperm from the testicle to the penis during sex. Good thing about all this is that the sperm looks the same after the operation but it is spermatozoids-free. The truth is that, in the majority of men, there is usually no or little pain after a recovery from a routine, uneventful vasectomy but in my case- I had terrible and persistent pain. I called up my doctor again and he told me that I should keep and ice-packs on my scrotum for 20 minutes several times a day and wear some scrotal support for the entire week.

My husband had it done after the birth of our 4th child. He was expecting much more pain, but was bored the night of the surgery, and wanted to go out to the movies. We did! He took it a little easy the following 2 days, and was back at work, feeling normal, on Monday.

I think it is the fear of the unknown that scares the majority of men. It isn't anything to be scared of. My husband now tells his friends that they too should have it done, if they do not want anymore children, because it was so easy for him.

Be fully 110% sure that you don't want anymore children though before you do. They asked us at least 6 times, and we were admant that we were done. Now, I wish we hadn't done it. Even after 4 beautiful children. I want more, and the deed is done. Insurance will pay to have it done, but not to undo it. Be completely sure!

Good luck.

I'm a 43 year old health male and I just had a vasectomy. And I'm tired of reading this c**p about little or no pain. It was very painful. The local anesthetic feels like a burning sensation which last 3 to 5 seconds and there are 2 of them. Then there is a cramping sensation which feels little you are being hit in the stomach. It has been 4 days and I am still in pain. 5 hours after the procedure I was sitting comfortably and suddenly doubled over in pain. Be warned! Not everyone sails through this simple procedure without little or no pain or all.

I am a healthy 37 year old, and I'm 6 days into recovery, and I can say that I'm still in a lot of pain even though I've read everywhere that recovery should be well on its way by now. I'm hoping for the best, but I feel like I've been kicked down there 24 hours a day since the surgery. The procedure was not too bad -- about as bad as a trip to the dentist to get some fillings, but the recovery hasn't been a cakewalk, that's for sure. Hopefully I'm in the minority, but frankly that doesn't make me feel any better!

I have to call major BS on the "little or no pain" analysis. I'm in day 4 of recovery and I am, as I write this, lying with ice on my gonads. Swelling and a persistent dull throbbing ache like someone kicked me in the crotch persist. o.O I worked (desk job) for 3/4 day on day 3 and today, but had to leave the office because I was simply in too much pain to continue. Here's hoping sleeping with ice will help me, but anyone who tells you you are 'up and at'em' in a couple of days must have had a miracle worker for a doctor.

My husband had it done 3 weeks ago and the op itself he said was not too bad at all but he has been in agony every since. He has had internal bleeding and infection and even today his balls are the size of a large jacket potato and he has not been able to work. It has been a total disaster and i would not recommend anyone to have a vasectomy ever.

i'm 35 had mine done a week ago yesterday 10/12 the procedure went we'll except on my right side i felt him digging around in the right side. on the left he went from the side no prob, but he went front the front on the right, and now i fell like i got rocks in my sack very painful very hard. scarring blood what ever it is it hurts, 2 co wokers went to the same doctors w/ no problem, it almost seems like it's getting worst, anyone know of any relief of these syptoms.

Recovery time is fast and as long as you talk to your doctor about what to do and what not to do, such as lifting weights the next day :-), I think you should be fine.

I had the surgery done on Tuesday afternoon. It is now Sunday evening and I am dreading going back to work tomorrow. I feel that I recovered very well after the first couple days, however yesterday I was terribly bored after laying around for three and a half days. I decided to go walk around the Bass Pro Shop for an hour, then my mother was talking about a new mailbox she bought and so I thought it would be a good idea to dig up her old one and set a post for a new one. NOT a good idea. I woke up this morning in a lot of pain and now I can't go from a sitting position to standing or vice versa or simply bend over at the waist without extreme discomfort. I'm sure I would have been fine had I taken it easier the first few days. My advice to everyone is don't under any circumstances think you are fine and go back to normal everyday activities within the first week or you will pay dearly.

I had the procedure on Friday. Not too painful, just a couple novacain shots. As painful as seeing the dentist for a filling but not as long. 20 minutes for the whole deal. Felt pretty crappy the first day, queasy-like. Took my pain meds. Second day I moved my boat for winter storage. A bit too much activity and took pain meds again when done. Third day went food shopping with the kids, lots of running around and again, overdid it a bit. Took one pain pill last night. Today, flew cross country on business, and felt mostly OK. No pain meds today but still not feeling 100%. I'm a runner and will take other's advice to not do anything for a week. We"ll see what tomorrow brings. Also, all three of my brothers have had the procedure and report a similar progression. Don't be scared off by reports of big problems they are very very rare in reality (but the internet isn't reality is it?).

I am exactly 48 hours post op, and am glad i read these posts. I am experiencing mild discomfort, but nothing too bad. My procedure was not as smooth as others. I was not fully numb on my right side when the Dr began, and had to receive more local anethesia. I now realize that i felt the incision, and it was when he applied the device that cauterizes the vas, that i moaned and winced. Once i was fully numb, it was a WORLD of difference. Smooth sailing. I joked "you guys never do this with a general anesthetic?" to which he replied, "sure, but it's too late for that now." Make sure you ask LOTS of questions before the procedure - i wish i'd have asked more. Approx 1 hour post op, i began to feel pain - like receiving a mild, indirect blow to the testicles. The vicatin (sp?) helped that. That was it so far... So far, just mild discomfort. I'm trying to stay ahead of the pain by taking my scripts. I am done bleeding, i think. I did bleed after mine - i know some guys don't. I am doing NOTHING but TV, reading, and keeping the frozen peas on... Good luck.

I had mine 16 days ago and I sometimes wish I had not bothered. The actual operation took about 10 minutes and aprt from some minor discomfort as they snipped the tubes and the smell of barbeque as the cauterised the tubes, it was ok.
How ever I developed severe bleeding from the wounds and woke up in a pool of blood next morning. My GP sutured the wound and I felt fine. Next day I woke up to testicles mthe size of large oranges and a penis that was almost round through inflammation. I went to the local hospital and they gave me antibiotics(This is in the UK by the way). It got worse that night I developed a fever and was delirious for most of the evening the kids were horrified as Dad had gone for an op on his sore back!!. My wife called an ambulance and I was admitted to hospital. I was on IV antibiotics and complete bed rest for three days.
They let me out and although everything has gone back to normal size I now have two large lumps in my scrotum which I believe as sperm granulola and are really sore. My GP reckons I may have to go back for a minor op to take these out.
I'm probably an exception but I'm really cheesed off at the pain and discomfort I've gone through.
Sex hasn't even crossed my mind yet my testes are still very tender and I'm still wearing a jock strap to do sports.i

30 year old male from illinois USA, have 5 kids so the decision was unanamous about not having more kids. Plus i made a promise to myself i would have all my kids at 30 and be done with it, I MADE IT!!!. I want to enjoy my retirement not take care of kids if you were wondering. Ok well i had my operation 4 days ago and its not really too bad, i was put under and the whole ordeal took 45 minutes. I had bleeding for the first day post op then it stopped. Took antibiotics for the entire 4 days. No problems. I did the smart thing and stayed in bed the entire 2 days post op and that makes a huge difference. Swelling went down now my guys are normal size. I do have a little redness around the incision points and some slight bruising but nothing bad. I would have to say if i didnt have the vicodin i would probably be in some discomfort but if you use the meds you will virtually no pain. i was in bed playing xbox 360 with pees. Overall was not bad at all.

I had this done this past Friday 3/2/07. Needless to say it is a week later, and I am still in quite a bit of pain. I am glad to see that there are others out there that have had the same symptoms. Everyone that I talk to seems to think the recovery time is a matter of 2-3 days.. Totally not true in my case.....