The wife has brought this word up quite a few times over the last few months. 8O

Looks like I may be going under the knife this summer. Any thoughts, comments, whatever out there...Anyone done this?

It's not like she's totally had to convince me or anything, it is way cheaper than having her done, and we dont want to have a whoops! baby.

Question: How would having this done affect marathon training? Everything I've read says you should take a few days off from work and exercising and that's it. I wouldn't want to over-do it, that's one area that does not need infection!

Should be no problem with training. You will be sore for one or two days but able to resume normal activities after two days.The worry free sex will make doing it worthwhile.

Try reading the other posts on that topic to see how some of us made out. There are many posts about that here.

I was encouraged when the guy I used to hire to install TV antennas for my shop had it done and he was back up on the roofs the next day. I didn't fare quite as well. I spent several days in bed peering over a black and blue ball sack the size of a grapefruit at my wife's female friends who came to visit her and comfort me --- or was it her. It was probably a week or two before I resumed making TV house calls and the first one happened to be at the doctor's nurses house.

Every man is different in how they recover from a vasectomy. Some men are back to work in a day and others report taking a week off from strenuous activity. I had a traditional bilateral vasectomy 18 years ago and was back at construction work the next day. Never had any complications and have never lived with any regret about being sterilized. We had two children and knew our family was complete with the two. It has been by far the best contraception for my wife and myself. Just be 100% sure before you go ahead with the vasectomy that you do not want to father any more children as though it is reversible, the procedure to reverse is costly and not 100% guaranteed.

I would also say try to determine the level of experience and skill of the doctor. That's not as easy as it sounds. If you ask your family doctor he will probably say something like mine did --- "if I had a nickle for------". Well, ---- I was not impressed with his skill and that may have had something to do with the results. He shot me up on both sides then cut the left side first. It felt like he was pulling a rope out of my abdomen then when he cut it that felt like he was sawing through a piece of rope like you do with a jack knife cutting a piece of rope you are holding in a loop. I almost asked him if I should get the wire cutters from my truck to help. When he got to the right side it needed more numbing. How do you suppose I figured that out? Same procedure on the side but I never did go get the wire cutters. If I was to do it again I think I would shop around more but what do you think a doctor is going to say when you ask if he/she is good at this? ---"Oh no, you're going to be my first"?

Men differ on how they handle vasectomies short term and long term. Most men do really well. Studies show maybe 15% have some problems post surgery that can mostly be cured with minimal troubles. Around 5% of all men with vasectomies have long term and more significant problems. Research both the men who have zero problems and men who have medium to major problems with vasectomies. Most vasectomies cannot be successfully reversed with healthy sperm production results after arouind 5 to 15 years after the surgery. The reversal success and sperm production quality decreases propotionately to how long a man is sterilized. The biggest problems are long term chronic pain in the testicles and epididymis and immune system responses to the sperm and sperm production cells once the sperm and immune system barrier is breached by the surgery or immune system reacts to the sperm remaining trapped and leaking into other scrotal spaces to remain contained inside the body after a vasectomy.The chronic pains and immune system problems can be mild or severe and are very difficult to treat or cure once they happen. It appears the longer a man is sterilized, the greater the chances of developing major problems. Men with strong immune responses, higher sperm counts, and larger testicles seem to be more prone to vasectomy problems than other men. Just research the risks before you take the leap and get sterilized. Banking some of your own frozen sperm is extra insurance if you remarry some day and want to have more children. But the artificial insemination using frozen sperm can be very expensive and is not covered by most medical insurance..Men rarely get child custody in divorce and women hit menopause while men do not. Those factors can lead to women being more practical to accept sterilization than men. Life changes can make a man regret a vasectomy if he remarries years later. All ideas to consider before you decide. But vasectomies do seem to work great for most men.

I have had no problems after it all healed up. I was able to feel the sperm "ballooning" up in there at ejaculation time but that feeling did not last long, less that a minute and after a year or so I couldn't even feel it any more. That was about 40 years ago and it's funny to look back on now. My wife who locks the bathroom door when she and I are the only ones in the house had no such compunction about me being naked. I was laying on the bed with my lower parts exposed and my legs spread and my jewels on a small pillow to ease the pain for several days. I don't remember any of my buddies coming to visit but plenty of her friends did. Our 18 year old tenant came over and my wife sent her right on up to the bedroom to console me. Then my wife's 14 year old sister who wanted to give it a close up inspection because "she was going to be a nurse" and she wanted to see the incisions. Then several girls who were our baby sitters and a whole gaggle of my wife's church friends. Individually, not all in a bunch. They all stood down by my toes peeking over the scrotal grapefruit on the royal pillow to talk to me. If I had been as squeamish about being seen naked as my wife is I probably would have simply died and the problem would have been solved. It's funny that someone who is so concerned about her own privacy has no such feelings about mine and 50 years of marriage has not changed that a bit.

Amazingly open for 40 years ago and for most women to be so open about a naked man whose wife was showing his scrotal surgery to females. You had some big balls to allow it and not mind being on display in such a swelled up condition and black and blue. It makes me wonder how many men heard about your swelled balls and decided against getting any vasectomies. Plus, it makes me wonder if your wife had talked about you getting a vasectomy with all those females long before you had the surgery and all of them had wanted to see your surgery results in person after hearing about it from your wife. It sounds like she was really extra proud of you getting yourself sterilized and she wanted to sell other women on it to convince their own men to get vasectomies too. Has she ever explained why so many women and girls wanted to see your vasectomy scrotum so close up and personal? Sounds like there is far more to the story than she told you?

Not that I had much choice the bed was facing the door to the hall at the top of the stairs and it hurt to lay anything over them to cover up. I never thought much about her talking it up in advance but it would seem natural for her to have told her friends. Our tenant was always over visiting so she could be expected to come up to see me and my wife probably never mentioned my display to her or any of the others. Her sister was a little vixen anyway and if she got wind of my situation she would have been there as soon as her legs would carry her to see that, and she was. She used to sun bathe topless on our garage roof where she knew the garbage truck guys could see her. It did surprise me that my wife didn't object when she wanted to do a close-up inspection though.

I think she was kind of proud of me having it done. Back then it was not something most of my friends would do but it seemed logical to me and being self employed it certainly fit our budget better than having her fixed.

I had traditional bilateral vasectomy 27 years ago. To this day, I still remember having both legs in stirrups and being cut on both sides of my scrotum. Though I was numbed up for procedure, I still remember the feeling of being kicked in the balls when both vas deferens were pulled from my scrotum to be cut. Other than that short term discomfort, the procedure was easy and I had no complications. From what I've read, I think they have better procedures that are less invasive today and probably much less discomfort associated with the surgery. If you are done having children, it is the best and most reliable contraception you can have.

Husband had it done years ago. I can't remember how long he said it was until he was "himself" again. But I can tell you the horrid details of getting a vasectomy reversal! (Just be sure this is what you want!!!)

I have had one. In pain for about 3 days, which can be controled with pain meds. I was running again in a week. Really no big deal at all.
Figure on a few days off so you may want to do it in the summer time when you have less stuff at school.
I did it on my days off and wish I had taken another one off.

I am actually went because when I met with the urologist, he did a history on me and wanted me to have an ultrasound of my kidneys. It was an abnormal ultrasound and an mri was ordered which showed some cysts on my kidneys that he will need to take a look at.

First (second) hand advice: don't listen to whining from guys who had this surgery and tell you it took weeks to get over it. If it took weeks, they did not follow their doctor's orders, or the doctor did not give the correct orders.

It takes just a few minutes, and it's done right in the doc's office. You can go home right away. The one piece of advice that you have to follow: wear a jock. That's it. Get a few (if you don't have some) and wear it home from the doc's office and everywhere you go, even at night, for about 10 days. Keeps everything immobile and safe and the 2 tiny little scars will heal right up for you with very little or no discomfort.

M had a great doctor who told him that the only complaints he ever received were from patients who did not follow this advice. So M did exactly as he was told, and we even left 3 days after for a driving trip to Hershey Park, PA, and he was as right as rain.

:D Hope this helps. Vasectomy is the way to go. Not having to worry anymore is a great aphrodisiac!

Not a worry for me, I'm shooting blanks anyway! 8O Did I just say that? The above was written for comedic purposes only. Please don't PM me with advice on how to fix this non-existant problem.

Coach just a side issue I am not sure if you have insurance through the school but Catholic companies get addendums on their insurance that the V is not covered. I was under the police insurance so it was not a problem. Robin's doc wanted to tie her tubes while she was "in" there but the insurance would not cover because she worked for the Catholic Church insurance company.