hi, I'm 18 and I have a serious problem with my scrotum. I was at the pool last Saturday and when I got home and showered I noticed an unusual redness on my entire scrotum. It didn’t itch or anything it was just red. I tried washing it a few times both with plain clean water and with soap, shampoo and shower gel but none of that worked. I didn’t notice any kind of rash or anything, just a red line between the scrotum and the leg – it’s the limit where redness stops and normal skin begins. Does anyone know what is my condition, what do I have and what could be the treatment? Do I have to go to the doctor?

You didn’t give me much information about it, it could be anything from bacterial or fungus infection or maybe even an allergy to some substance. If it was a public pool it’s possible that you have some kind of allergy on chlorine, however you didn’t mention whether you have redness on other parts of your body too or is this the only affected spot. It could also be a condition called “jock itch”, it’s caused by fungus probably because of the sweat in your underwear and the irritation from chlorine could have triggered the spread of the fungal infection. If washing it doesn’t do the trick, you should try treating it with antifungal cream like Canesten or something similar. Since you need prescription for these kinds of medicines you have to go to your doctor, in any case it’s not a bad idea to have a talk with him.