I posted this in the testicular problems forum and did not realize there was a skin problem forum at the time. I apologize for the confusion

Hello all.
First and Foremost, I would like to say thankyou very much in advance for absolutely any advice you could provide that could be helpful to my condition.
Approximately two months ago I began to get a moderate itch on the right side of my scrotum. It culminated once when I seemed to thoroughly scratch it, which was very relieving but has since really not 'gone away'. It was probably the most intense itch I have ever had. Ever since then, on and off I get the itch reccurring. Every 3-5 days to be exact and it is only in a relatively small area on the right side of the scrotum. The left side, thighs, anal area are all unaffected..
I first noticed what looked like 4 or 5 "sores" that were almost raw after I initially scratched it. More than anything it just looked like very irritated parts of the skin due to the scratching, since I am quite hesitant to use the word "sore". I researched Herpes and from my conclusions it cannot be that. After only a couple of days they seemed to heal and scab over with a piece of dry skin where each 'raw' spot was. Not a traditional scab mind you. Just like a clearish dry skin scab.

After this healed I noticed that the areas where the skin was affected became slightly discolored with the spots being noticeably lighter than the rest of the skin on the scrotum. The right side of the scrotum at times appeared to have spots where it was slightly raised and for lack of better term very wrinkle-like. The skin was also very leathery.

Since then I started applying baby powder in the morning and nights, which seemed to short term help the itch but not make the condition go away. When there is no persistent itch and I look at the scrotum, you can notice the areas where it had been affected. I am very embarassed to be intimate with a female because they may get the wrong impression...
Recently I started dating a girl who I previously thought was way too far out of my league and I have been very strange about progressing to the next level of intimacy because of my fear. This is something she seems to be rather disappointed in. Yet is not something I want to blow.

I've looked all over the internet and have really been shocked to see that many other people seem to have this, yet no definitive answer is given. The choices of what it could be seem to be so broad, that it really could be anything. I've heard: Psoriasis, Exzema, Diabetes, Scabies, etc, etc.

I bought a 1% Cortisone today and recently applied it. Also, last night was when I had the last bout with the itching and I don't know if this will help at all but I looked at my scrotum as I was itching it, and within literally 3 seconds I saw the spot I was itching get noticeably raw. That is the main problem, it seems that barely scratching to relieve the itch wll bring the raw reddish skin back. I think this may be because it is just so sensitive at this time??
Maybe this is just a cycle of itch and scratch with the skin being very sensitive instead of an actual condition. Either way, as silly as it sounds it is kind of hindering my social life. When the bouts of itchyness come on, they are so intense that I really have no other choice than to scratch it, which as I said I can watch my scrotum go almost 'raw' in certain places right before my eyes.

I apologize for the long post, hopefully someone can help me more than medhelp was able to. I have not seen a doctor since I do not have medical insurance and am not very well off financially. Also, I am 22 years old, and have not had sexual contact in a few months. The last sexual contact I had was unprotected oral sex performe on me about 2 months before this "Rash, itch or whatever it is" appeared.
Hopefully my description was good enough. Once again, Thankyou very much!
-LL

This may come as a disappointment to you but I reckon you need to be seen by a dermatologist to figure this out. I even think this could be some kind of fungal infection, because fungus often causes itching, redness, flaking of the skin. There are antifungal medications otc but the problem is that you never know which to use because there are different kinds and you don’t know what kind of an infection you have.

If this were a minor irritation, I wouldn’t advise you to see a doctor. However, it is obvious this problem is affecting at least two aspects of your life, probably the two most important at the time (social and love life). In order to get this problem fixed, talk to your parents or who ever can help you see a dermatologist.

I have exactly the same symptoms you have described, and it has been going on for at least two years. This problem very seldom bothers me during the daytime hours, but at night the itching is almost unbearable. I have tried every available otc cream, lotion, powder that I could find, and some seem to help for a day or two, but the problem never fully goes away. I get a raised red rashy area between my testicles and my thigh that is itchy and burning for a day or two, then the swelling and redness goes away for a day or two and then comes back. I use antifungal cream every morning and night, and also apply medicated powder with zinc oxide and menthol daily, but nothing helps. Have you found a solution to the problem yet?

After posting last week I spoke to a dermatologist friend of a family member.
In the past, I had just been using baby powder, which seemed to help the itch temporarily, but not significantly enough to go away.

About a week ago I picked up 1% cortaid OTC Cream and some gold bond medicated powder. 3 or 4 times a day I would apply the cortaid, allow it to dry and apply the gold bond. This seemed to work almost instantly. One week later everything seems to be back to normal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far so good. It's also worth noting that after the first few days, in the night time I would use the cortaid and follow it up with a moistuirizer instead of the powder.
I hope you can find the same luck, because thus far this seems to be the "cure" so to speak.

I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM FOR YEARS I MEAN YEARS SOMETIMES
IT GO S AWAY BUT ALWAYS TERRIBLE AT NIGHT IVE TRIED EVERY THING ITS UNBELIEVABLE HOW INTENSE THE ITCHING IS .HELP

Same issue and find it is exacerbated by the geometry of the scrotum and normal showering. On me it is a "low point" meaning in the shower my scrotum is a place where rinse water from my head to the top of my legs can run off my body.

I don't know about you guys, but I was never a fastidious guy about rinsing every last molecule of soap off my body. I also had the habit of washing my hair last. The net result was my scrotum was covered in mildly soapy water when I got out of the shower. Drying off just didn't do a good enough job of removing the soap. Hot water is also not the greatest medium for soothing the scrotum skin. 50 years of this and, well, I got this flaking skin, rash and itch.

So, I now take great pains to rinse the area last, with a hand held shower head. And I dry the area carefully and avoid roughing up the skin. I am also in the habit of using a bidet after a bowel movement, and found this to be another opportunity to either leave the scrotum soapy or not, if I was thorough about rinsing.

All this helps, but I still mix a 50/50 concoction of Cortizone 1% ointment and a skin creme my wife found that is particularly effective for excema. This, applied daily after showering and the problem seems to be under control. Hope this helps.

i"ve had this problem for many years. the hydocortisone cream combined with the gold bond creme is the best. you can also try a bottle of vitamin e oil that you can buy at cvs or walgreens in the skin section i believe. it will really soften the area up and promotes healthy skin. try combining it with the gold bond cream also at least twice a day.

I myself have this condition, itched last week - and noticed a red dry area on my scrotum (right side) - and put some ph5 moisturiser on - which seemed to make it go away.

Had sexual intercourse with my girlfriend last night, and the intense itch returned, afterwards i noticed that the area where the itch was was now sort of raised (sort of like a new scratch on your arm/leg etc) - again put some moisturiser on, itching has stopped (12 hrs later now) - but the raised skin is still there.

I have had this problem for a few years now, and my doctor says it is a yeast infection...It seemed to help as long as I keeped using it!

Thanks people for your advices. I have type 2 Diabetes, and this may have a bearing on why I have this horrible Itch. Always night time is the worst, so I am going to try some of your remedies.

To those who haven't done so yet, go get a check done for Diabetes.

This might sound a bit odd but have had the same occurance of itchiness for a while. Always at night, my itch is always accompanied with sweat or heat. The odd part is that I noticed a correlation with drinking wine... or alcohol. I did stop for a month and my itch went away.

I have the same problem, although you guys all complain of an intense itch...

I get my itch at night which makes sleeping a pain in the ass. What I notice about all your problems is that you scratch the area. If you scratch it, of course the skin will become raw. Also, I find if I don't scratch and just kind of let the itch run its course or even just reposition my package the itch will go away.

I am using an anti-fungal cream lotramin Ultra and it's not really doing anything. I had an itch in my butt area also, and I stopped vigorously washing it and it stopped itching... what I've gather is this:

You percieve an itch and you begin to scratch it.
You begin to wash the area more often.
You apply an assortment of creams.

All these factors will upset skin! If your skin is just dry then you just need to use a milder soap and apply lotion. It's funny because my penis doesn't itch and when I masturbate it obviously gets marinaded in lotion so it's always properly moisturized.

The condition that seems most likely if not just dry skin seems to be Scabies. For my condition anyway. I don't have any sores and the condition is most present at night. The treatment for scabies seems really arduous though.

I think most of us probably have scabies. Look up treatments online.

I have the same problem (for more than 10 years), and I have been through more than 10 Dermatology Doctors, 100 medicines> Doctor cut a piece of skin and do the lab test twice (3 years apart). The test results tell me that I have LSC (LICHEN SIMPLEX CHRONICUS), my Doc also call Fungal, yeast etc...

I searched the Internet and bought any thing that people in forums suggested but none of them works...

Two weeks ago, I got the name of this medicine from one of the forum, I ask my doctor for prescription and the problem go away on the 10th day of this drug. I still have one more day on this antibiotic drug. I feel so release and hope this itch goes away forever..

Here is the drug:

-Metronidazole 500MG Tablets (2 tablets a day for 14 days).
This cost around $29.00 (USD)

Note: The 1st 7 days of this drug I feel normal but for the last few days I few so sleepy. However, I feel so good because my itch is gone.

Please comeback and tell us your treatment.

Thank you for sharing.

:-D

As with all of you, I have had a persistent itch going on now for approximately 20 years. I am now 42. It is always worse right before bed and immediately when I wake up in the morning. I have tried gold bond, triple antibiotic, etc. My doctor once told me 10 or so years ago that I had chronic jock itch and that there was really nothing I could do about it. I am rather active and I think that is part of the problem. Right now I have some raised pimple like bumps under my scrotum that are extremely tender and also the two glands east and west of my penis in the folds of the top of my thigh are swollen. Running out of things to try. Hope someone out there can help us.

ok so after researching this a bit, im pretty sure that just about everyone that has these symptoms (an extremely itchy, red and burning scrotum) just has jock itch. its basically like getting athletes foot on your balls and can be treated just like athletes foot. the gentlemen that started this topic found what i think might be the best treatment.. 1% hydrocortisone cream and gold bond medicated powder (which can be found at any cvs or rite aid). i found this thread this morning after a couple days of loosing my mind over this BS, tried this treatment, and some 8 hours after application im pretty damn sure that its gone. unlike his reply though, relief was not instantaneous. it did stop the itching for the most part, but upon contact the burning sensation was still apparent. but 3 or 4 hours after treatment, all symptoms seemed to have vanished (and what a relief it is). as for the men that this treatment does not work for, im sad to say that your probably dealing with something more severe (yeast infection, eczema, etc.) and should seek alternative treatment if not a trip to the dermatologist. hope this helps