Ok, so I found out I had my first urinary infection in July of 08. I tried two different medications to get rid of it, but neither worked. I went to a new doctor, a urologist, and she gave me medicine to take for 3 months called Nitrofurantoin. I've taken it for about a month now, but it's not really helping. Also, I think it is causing me to contract a new bacteria called C. Diff. and is causing diarrhea about 5 to 15 minutes after every meal I eat. I've had this bacterial infection about a couple of years ago, so I'm scared to have it again. I'm pretty sure the medication is causing C. Diff because it says it changes the flora in the colon, which is NOT GOOD. I have a twisted colon and am wondering if that could be putting pressure on my bladder or something.....

I don't know what to do anymore. I've been sick with many things for years and I'm not sure why. The doctor also did a CT scan for kidney stones and didn't find any. I feel like I am 80 years old although I am only 20. I take cranberry pills but they dont do much. Is there any else I can try to get rid of the urinary infection? Or is there something prohibiting that from happening...

I hate to say this, but for one thing you have to keep the opening for your urethra very, very clean. That means free of any residual feces that might travel from wiping yourself. That's not what I mean to say I hate to say. What I am going to tell you is this: if anything that may be carrying bacteria goes close to your genital organs (including your urethra), and that means fingers and other such stuff, you need to be aware that anything not clean can carry germs, meaning bacteria. Not only must you strive to keep the area clean, but you must also strive to not put anything there that might be germ ridden. I speak from experience, I'm much older and you are a young person, therefore I give you the benefit of my experience. What I do is have the baby wipes or some such near the toilet if I manage to smear myself so I can clean myself promptly in order to avoid infection. Also you need to be aware that bacteria can be floating around public pools & oceans, etc. I am not afraid to go in public pools, but I do strive at my old age to keep that area of my body clean and free of anything that might pass on an infection. That being said, let me also say that when I have had a UTI I would eat garlic (fresh) galore so that eventually I smelled like garlic, but the infection would go away. Also cranberry juice keeps bacteria from sticking with you and I also incorporate lots of fresh lemon juice in my water when this happens. There was an episode on Medical Mysteries with someone who had to go to the bathroom immediately after every meal, even before she finished. The doctors couldn't find what was wrong with her. Finally someone came up with the possibility that she lacked vitamin B-12. This is what it was, but she had to take the injection type since she had a certain kind of anemia that cannot be cured by tablets, only injections. Keep praying and ask God to help you find the answer. I will remember you in my prayers also.

Celebrity
My daughter has lots of waterworks probs.
Firstly Nitrofurantoin.... it made my daughter really ill.
She was depressed, couldnt eat an had stomach cramps.
She only had one tablet a day as a long term preventative to protect her kidneys from further damage.
If you are still on this medication i suggest you try an change it.
My daughter constantly has a lot of discharge. Sometimes she gets infections.
I wonder if its because she produces to much of it for what ever reason.
Have you been refered to a specialist for tests. It sounds to me like its gone on to long an no investigation has taken place.

Just for extra info, my daughter had constant infections, Really bad.
Was in hospital 7 times in 2 years. On drips of antibiotics she was so ill.
She was found to have a deformed kidney. She is on antibiotics for the rest ot her life. She is 19.
Just make sure somthing isnt being missed.

The specialist told her:-
Always drink lots of water.
Avoid acidy drinks.
Drink cranberry juice
wear cotton pants. Full pants
Dont bath, always shower.
Never use any form of soap in the area.
If you are sexualy active.. wee before an after.
Never hold a full bladder.
Make sure you completely empty your bladder... give an extra push at the end to make sure its all out.

Sometimes she gets bladder infection
Sometimes kidney infections
sometimes they just say a water infection.
Sometimes she gets all the syptoms an is really ill but no infection is present. But she has blood in the urine test.

Thanks for your imput CaroloL. I hope one day, medicine will be more advanced so that your daughter can have some relief. I'm still on the Nitro, and I'm not sure if it's even working anymore. My symptoms have gotten worse in the past few days and I'm doing everything I can possibly do: drink water, cranberry pills, use wipes, etc. I just called my urologist to see if I could schedule an earlier app. but they told me no, even though I almost passed out at work and was really shaky. It could've been from the heat, but it could also be a kidney infection coming on. The other day I felt really weak and shaky at home, and threw up as well. I have only had a CT scan, nothing else. She told me that my bladder was swollen, that's about it. Of course, to the left of my urethral area is throbbing in a specific spot.

Thanks for your prayers Cindiw. But even though you are older, I have experienced a lot medically. There was one point where if I would've fallen asleep, I would've never woken up because I would've stopped breathing from being so weak. Although it almost felt calm at that moment, it was still the most disturbing experience I have had because I knew it wasn't my time. And no matter how old a person can be, you can still be that close to losing the things that can be taken for granted. I have a lot of wise packed inside this young body. Thanks for your help.

So I finally got to see my urologist again and she said that my symptoms were getting worse due to irritation of my urethra, caused by me not doing things right. She did not explain why I had extreme pain in my bladder and pelvic region and told me to take an ibuprofen. She also told me that she "sees young girls like me all the time," so I guess she treats us all the same. >:( She put me on the same medication that I was taking-Nitrofurantoin/Macrobid and didn't even tell me if I still had an infection or not! I'm taking the medication still, but the symptoms are getting worse and I have a new one, sudden leakage of urine. This will ruin my life if I cannot find out what is causing it. I have to see a new doctor because the urologist refused to test me for anything.

And of course something terrible happened to my mother a few weeks ago. She had a urinary infection also that wasn't treated well enough. It turned into a kidney infection, and her kidneys failed. She was very close to death when I visited her and it made me realize that life is too short to be sick. I'm trying so hard to be strong, but all of these things are weighing me down.

Celebrity
Get a second opinion. Make them listen to you. Yes your right life is to short to live life in illness.
Nitrofurantoin.... we didnt even have to repeat ourselves when my daughter was feeling so ill with it. I got the impression it dosnt suit a lot of people.
Get stronge honey tell them how annoyed you are. Your the only one that can do it.
My daughter is on ciprolex an things are going very well at the min.
Tell them about your mum. It can be inheritated!!!
Dont stand for it honey. Get your mum to come with you. They wont speak down to you as much. xx

I am in the exact same boat as you. I have had a UTI since Sept 24. It has come back twice. Like you I took the Nitrofurantoin. When you take that for 10 days YOU got to get the doctor to do another culture to make sure there is no more bacteria. If it comes back clean then you take it for 7 more days. I discovered that information on the internet when I googled "nitrofurantoiin". I am very scared. My sorry doctor doesn't know what to do for me and won;'t return my messages. If you find a cure please let me know. I worry I may die from this. What does a person do when they can't take antibiotics?