Community Administrator

Hi, I just got the new "ab workouts for men and women" app yesterday, and I'm excited about losing some of that abdominal flab and getting fitter. I am a vegetarian though, and I'm not sure how to replace the meat suggestions with vegetarian options. Beside that, the meal suggestions look pretty bland at first sight. I wonder if I can use herbs and sauces, and if so which ones are acceptable?

Please help!

Celebrity

Hey Olivia!

Regarding herbs - absolutely - herbs are fine - although try to avoid processed salat dressings and sauces. If you can't live without them - try to make your own - mustard, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. works wonders for me. Both salads and "meat" sauces can be made from these basic ingredients.

Regarding replacing meat ... it's quite simple - replace animal protein (in this case met, fish) with vegetable protein - being vegetarian doesn't leave many options...

I sincerely hope you do eat animal products such as cottage cheese and other diary, and eggs? if you don't you will have a hard tiem following this diet ...

Egg whites have a great amount of proteins, plus it's an animal protein, which is considered more complex comparing to plant protein. The downside is that animal protein also often can be extremely high in cholesterol and saturated fat, but you don't have these problems to worry about :)

Another good protein that comes in play with vegetarians is cottage cheese - low in calories and fat, and high in proteins. Excellent choice. You can eat it as a comlete meal - if you are a cottage cheese fan :) if not, it can be combined as a side dish to omelets, or you can put it in a smoothy (1 big spoon cottage cheese, 1 banana, 1 or 2 egg whites - if you wish; and a dash of cinnamon - really yummy - try and let me know what you think!)

As I mentioned earlier - with a bit of imagination you can turn cottage cheese into a great dressing or sauce.

Personally I use cottage cheese often as one of the main ingredients for homemade patte. I make it from chicken breasts or fish - half amount meat + half amount cottage cheese + mix in blender + add salt & herbs = homemade patte. >>> vegetarian version; 2 handsful peanuts or almonds + 1 spoon cottage cheese + salt + herbs ... I hope you'll like it!

Soy - tofu or soy in other forms is the best substitute for meat. Personally I am not a fan, and not being vegetarian - I do have a "luxury" to eat meat, but if I had to replace piece of meat with vegan product - I would pick soy - it offers the most protein and least carbs in combination.

Other great protein sources are:

beans (esp. black, mung, ,lentils, legumes...

quinoa, oats

tempeh (soy)

seitan, peanutt butter (be careful with amount, it's quite fatty)

and seeds - have you heard of chia seeds? About 20 g of protein per 100 g of chia seeds - beats with the protein amount almost all meat!!

Regarding blendness ... I think that's something herbs can help with.

Let us know what you think & if you have some great recipes please share!

Community Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I eat eggs and use cottage cheese quite a lot. I have heard it said that one shouldn't eat eggs every single day, probably because of their high cholesterol content. Perhaps I can alternate between tofu, eggs, and cottage cheese.

I usually have cottage cheese on (home-made) bread. My bread recipe includes eggs and olive oil. Bread is obviously something that is not really compatible with this diet. The idea to use cottage cheese in smoothies is great and I will try that.

I never use processed dressings or sauces, so I do know exactlty what is in mine: a LOT of calories, LOL. My ingredients tend to include butter, home-made mayo (lots of oil), sesame oil, corn starch for Asian sauces, honey.... all stuff need to move away from.

So, here's what I had for dinner yesterday. Roast tofu with next to no fat (as a meat replacement), about a cup of salad, which was grated beet, apple and carrot, and about three stalks of steamed broccoli.

This morning, I had a Greek yogurt with crushed flax seeds. That has some protein. I also had a tiny handful of mixed nuts.

Do you approve?

I also figure that, if I have broccoli with a rich peanut sauce, that will be fine because the peanuts will replace the meat suggested. I could have broccoli with that sauce and a sliced boiled egg, along with perhaps some grated carrots.

Bean sprouts, which are easy to make at home, are perhaps a healthier alternative to cooked beans. Chick peas fall in the same category I guess.

This is a bit of a learning curve for me. I'd say I eat fairly healthily but then, I've always cooked for taste and not for calories or health.

The workout is going well. I enjoyed it yesterday. I can't believe the second day is a rest day.

Is there anyone else who is usng the ab workouts app on the forum reading this? I'd love to hear how you are doing!

Celebrity

eat yolks (!) shouldn't be eaten every day, so I heard too, but then some of the later studies refuted it.  Egg whites are perfectly fine on daily basis - I eat about 3 egg whites daily, my husband goes up to 8 egg whites/1 egg yolk. yes, combination of tofu, eggs and cottage cheese is great as a replacement for meat. 

Homemade bread ... sounds delicious, but no. Only on high carbs days. I have a good oat bread recipe, probably not as good as yours, but a nutrition-plan friendly version.  I will post the recipe this afternoon when I come home...

Homemade dressings/souces: whoah, lots of "great" ingreadients. skip butter, mayo, asian suces .... use moderate amounts of olive oil, cottage cheese, sour cream, yogurt, mustard, sesame seeds, moderate amounts of honey to add flavour, soy sauce to add aisan flavour is okay ...  additional herbs, a spoon of mustard can add a flavour. 

"This morning, I had a Greek yogurt with crushed flax seeds. That has some protein. I also had a tiny handful of mixed nuts." 

Good choice! Approved! :) 

OKay, broccoli is excellent choice, peanut butter is also protein-rich plant, but also has lots of fats! So be careful with protein butter - not more than a spoon. Chick peas, beans, boled egg - they are all on on the approved list. it's all good; just make sure to go easy on peanut butter. 

Bean sprouts are an excellent choice! Full of proteins, and vitamin C - one of the best sources ... They can be used in salads, and even when cookign asian dishes with lots of veggies and meat/fish/soy; stir fries,  such as pad thai etc. 

I totally get you about the taste... but healthy, "fat-reducing" food doesn't have to be tasteless - it just means you're cooking with limited choice of ingredients . You can definitely forget about butter and home-made (or processed) mayo :)

But you can add to your souces a mashed boiled egg to add more texture ... instead mayo use cottage cheese etc... There are so many tricks when cooking leaner... Herbs can change a dish, so don't forget about them. 

Instead deep frying - go for baking on cooking paper, just sprinkle with water to prevent drying out your food in the oven...  

Great about the workout! :) What workout did you start with? Do you have any muscle pains? Go for a 30 minute walk if you feel (too) energized :)

Best wishes!  

Celebrity

yolks (!) shouldn't be eaten every day, so I heard too, but then some of the later studies refuted it. Egg whites are perfectly fine on daily basis - I eat about 3 egg whites daily, my husband goes up to 8 egg whites/1 egg yolk. yes, combination of tofu, eggs and cottage cheese is great as a replacement for meat.

Homemade bread ... sounds delicious, but no. Only on high carbs days. I have a good oat bread recipe, probably not as good as yours, but a nutrition-plan friendly version. I will post the recipe this afternoon when I come home...

Homemade dressings/souces: whoah, lots of "great" ingreadients. skip butter, mayo, asian suces .... use moderate amounts of olive oil, cottage cheese, sour cream, yogurt, mustard, sesame seeds, moderate amounts of honey to add flavour, soy sauce to add aisan flavour is okay ... additional herbs, a spoon of mustard can add a flavour.

Good choice! Approved! :)

OKay, broccoli is excellent choice, peanut butter is also protein-rich, but also has lots of fats! So be careful with peanut butter - not more than a spoon. Chick peas, beans, boiled egg - they are all on on the approved list. it's all good; just make sure to go easy on peanut butter.

Bean sprouts are an excellent choice! Full of proteins, and vitamin C - one of the best sources ... They can be used in salads, and even when cookign asian dishes with lots of veggies and meat/fish/soy; stir fries, such as pad thai etc.

Instead deep frying - go for baking on cooking paper, just sprinkle with water to prevent drying out your food in the oven...;

Best wishes!

Community Administrator

Well, I'm still going strong with the workout. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I chose "total beginners start here". It has been a while since I worked and I do have a medical condition that means I need to be careful: hip dysplasia. Some exercises are causing me some pain, and I'm just modifying those. I do more of the exercises I like, like two or three sets. I also walk a lot. 

How soon do you think I can move on to the next level? The "beginners get better" one?

The nutrition plan is going... so-so. I am definitely using fewer carbs and more proteins, which is a really good step, but I think I am still eating too much. 

Today, I made lentil burgers with just a dash of olive oil and baked on a baking sheet in the oven. I toyed with the idea of deep frying, because I thought they might fall apart, but they were totally awesome! Definitely something I'd recommend to other vegetarians. One fist-sized burger can definitely fill me up, along with some lettuce and tomatoes, but of course I had to have two :). 

I've also been using cottage cheese, eggs, tofu and soy millk (the latter counts as protein, yes, even though it's liquid?). I can't wait to try out more exciting meal ideas. 

Celebrity
Total beginners start here is meant for people who haven't worked out for a while ... So, in my opinion, that was a perfect choice.
when you're ready to move to the next level? If you have never worked out before, or if you haven't worked out for a while... - I would stay at this level for 2 weeks and then move to beginners get better. But if you feel you're ready to move up - meaning "beginners start here" doesn't present a challenge anymore, move to the next level.
Regarding pain - absolutely - if you have hip dysplasia you will have to adjust some exercises at least to the point they don't cause any pain.
Eating more proteins is the point of this nutrition plan. Meaning you're on a good way. have you ever considered counting calories? This way you'll know how much exactly you eat and you will get a feeling how much you should eat. Having 2 burgers may sound a lot, but do you know how much calories were in there? You don't have to be right down to each calorie, but you iwll get an approximate feeling how much calories you consume. Do this for a week - and you will know whether you eat too much or not...
Soy milk contains about the same portion of proteins as cow's milk... not the best choice for protein rich food. 3 g of proteins (per 100 g) isn't considered protein rich. Have you considered eating protein shakes? One scoop of protein shake has more than 20 g of proteins... and you can find soy based protein shakes...
Also regarding soy milk - have you tried almond milk? Just soak one handful of almonds in water - after an hour or so the water will turn white - voila - almond milk :) Of course, soaked almonds can be used in a bowl of muesli or mix them to add texture to your sauces..