Hey there. For my whole life I am fighting with some extra pounds. I think that this is because of the genetics, but I need to admit that I love to eat as well. Anyway, I found one information that really scared me. I found that I am in this critical circle of being depressed because I am obese. I never thought that this could be a case but now I don't know what to think, especially because I was hanging out with depressed people very often and I do know how they are acting, what they do and what are their problems. And I don't want this. 

Good day there.

First it is really important to understand are you obese or overweight. I couldn't find out this fact from your post. But anyway, people who are struggling with weight in both cases - it doesn't mater do they have extra weight or they are skinny, they are potentially depressed. 

But yes, depression and weight problem go together very often and before you even notice this, it "grabs" you. So, that is why it is very important to seek for the professional help on time, just to be sure what is going on with you and what you can expect. 

Hello 62R62. Lol, nice question. It is hard to tell, I think that I am obese but my friends keep telling me that maybe I have some extra pounds, but that definitely I am not obese. I was thinking to seek for the professional help, but than one thing came across my mind - what If he tells me that I am depressed already? I think that I would not be able to deal with this situation. Whenever I have some issue, I start to eat a lot and I don't know what to do with this, how to stop doing this. I am aware that weight is going together with the depression and that is the main reason why I refuse to see my doctor....

Than you really don't know how this can affect you. Generally, to cut long story short you are in the risky category because when you are not satisfied with your body, you start to feel this depression. And when you are depressed you also have tend to eat more or not to eat anything. 

Yes,I understand you, but I don't believe that you are depressed already because you would notice the signs, you would notice different behavior as well. It can't just happen without feeling any changes.

But still, therapist is the good option and you might consider to visit one. 

Hi. It is egg and chicken theory I guess. You can't never be sure is this one of the causes, are you in the bigger risk of the depression if you have some extra pounds. At some examples, this was shown true, but again it is different at persons. You can do some things alone, at your home. For example, you can make yourself some motivational plans where you will determine what is the best for you and what can help you. It is much easy when you have some plan, some aim. First, if you ask me, you should make some goals how to lose your weight. Once you start losing your weight you will feel much better and you will be far from the depression. That is my opinion.

The studies showed that the people who are obese are more in danger of becoming depressed. On the other hand, if you are depressed, you are in a bigger danger of becoming overweight than the people who are not suffering from depression and this is because of some quite obvious reasons: you eat because you aren't doing anything else, you aren't leaving the house, you aren't exercising, you are just sitting, watching TV and eating.

Obese people are not satisfied with themselves, their low self esteem can easily cause them to become depressed, that is why they are more prone to depression.

Dear Guest, do you know what obese means? Gaining a few more pounds doesn't mean that you are getting obese, not even close. Obese means that you are so big that you can't even get up from the chair without someone's help. With that being said, I promise you that you are not in any bigger danger of becoming depressed than you were before you gained those few extra pounds.

On the other hand, the people who are really obese are indeed at larger risk of being depressed than people who are not obese, if you give it a thought, it will make sense.

Nina is right, you are not obese so you have nothing to worry about here, but it is sad that obese people are really in a lot greater risk of being depressed simply because they can't function like normal people can, they cannot do the things that the non obese people can. All of these things are likely to make them feel depressed because they already have a lifestyle of a depressed person: not going out a lot, spending a lot of time eating, spending most of their time in front of their TV screens and having nobody to stick around.

Yes, if you are obese, you are in larger risk of being depressed. It is just like Gaia wrote above, people who are obese are in greater (huge) risk of becoming depressed and people who are depressed are in more danger of gaining more kilograms.

The people above me are also right about you: you shouldn't worry about this because you are not obese, not even close, you should have figured out what obese means before asking a question like this. If there are any other things that you think could cause you to become depressed, okay, but don't worry about this one.