Hello everyone,

I recently heard about hypochondria and I have to admit that I was terrified at first because I noticed some of the symptoms in me, although I am sure that I do not have it (or am I?).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here can tell me what are the risk factors of hypochondria? I want to see is it possible that I actually have hypochondria although I say again, I am kind of sure that I don't. And I would like to know as well how can someone beat hypochondria, just in case I have it, you know.

Hi Guest,

There are special kinds of people who are more prone to being hypochondriac than others. You can think about it as risk factors as well. People who are neurotic, self critical, introverted, and narcissistic are prone to developing hypochondria more than other people.

There are different ways to fight hypochondria. Most people usually start with antidepressants. If they don't seem to work, then they can go for a cognitive behavioral treatment or hypnosis. All of these treatments showed pretty good results so if you ever start noticing that you might be suffering from hypochondria, I would recommend you to start treating it asap.

Sure you can beat it but it requires a lot of work and effort. Besides, this is a mental disorder, it is always hard to treat mental disorders. For this one, you will need your family and friends to be very supportive and you will have to talk to a psychologist, maybe even to a psychiatrist as well. You might go to some group therapies with other people who are suffering from hypochondria and those who already overcame it so that they can help you out.

It is easy to notice if you are hypochondriac, I am almost certain that you are not.

If you think that you have it, you should go and talk to a psychologist as soon as you can, at least that is something that I would do. Because, you see, fighting hypochondria is extremely hard, there are a lot of people out there who tried and have failed, and they are probably going to be stuck with hypochondria for a very, very long time. But if you find out now that you are a hypochondriac, that you are maybe having a really mild form of it, then you have better chances of treating it with success and getting over it.

Don't you worry kid, I can guarantee you that you don't have hypochondria, otherwise, you probably wouldn't be here asking about it. You would be so certain that you don't have hypochondria but rather that you are indeed ill or going to be ill for sure.

Hypochondria isn't just something that you can fight easily, like take some pills and you immediately feel better, no sir. I honestly hope that you really don't have it and that you will never have to fight it because it is quite awful and it is an extremely hard fight to handle, you are probably too young and too immature to fight it anyway.

Good day everyone.

Mental disorders are really hard to handle. Unfortunately, like for every mental disorder and disease, there are so many risk factors. But the worse risk factor can happen if you leave it untreated. I also do not believe that you are hypochondriac, because you can see that you are having some problem, and hypochondriac people doesn't think that they do. They just love themselves too much to see this.

About the cure - sure that there is a cure for it and that this condition can be healed, but for those persons it is very important to accept their problem. Usually, they don't accept it.  

Hey, you really should not be scared. You are not hypochondriac but it is amazing because you notice that you are dealing with certain issues that can point at this. Anyway, when you are dealing with hypochondria, it is very important to seek for therapy that is going to help you fight your thoughts. So, get help with a qualified mental health professional who can help you to work through your problems. It is not a shame to talk to someone about this, especially when person can help you. Also, people with hypochondria sometimes have underlying anxiety issues or depression that, if treated, might help the individual overcome their fears of illness. But, it is very important for you to find a qualified psychologist in this case who is going to help you deal your issues.

Hi there.

Of course that person who has problems with hypochondria can beat it. I know two persons who have this problem and still they think that they don't need to do anything about it. They think that they are super people and they just love themselves. It is hard to be around those people. But if you can find any way to help them, do it.

You are not hypochondriac, trust me on this one.

Even the tiniest, the smallest symptoms that might seem like nothing to someone else give a hypochondriac anxiety. To beat it, it takes a lot of time and effort as well.  

I will join to the club and I will tell you - you are not being hypochondriac. So, you don't need to panic about this. However, hypochondriacs need constant reassurance from their friends, family or doctors as well. But, even that usually doesn’t help them because they are refusing to admit that they have some problems. It also can lead to a ton of stress that can start affecting the way a hypochondriac live their life. Anyway, there are also some hypochondriacs who never talk about their fears to anyone because they’re convinced that they won’t be taken seriously and that can be a problem. You recognize that you have issues, but you wont talk about it because you are scared that people will make a fun of you. Anyway, for those who notice that they may have this kind of issue, here is one advice - find an expert who can find the best therapy for you because you should not let it untreated.