I realize this is a bacterial infection.

I tested for this and am on Cipro for 10 days.

How could I have acquired this infection?

Staphylococcus epidermidis is one of thirty three known species belonging to the genus Staphylococcus. It is part of our human flora, and consequently found on the skin. It can also be found the in mucous membranes and in animals. Due to contamination, it is probably the most common species found in laboratory tests.

Although S. epidermidis is usually non-pathogenic, patients with a compromised immune system are often at risk for developing an infection. These infections can be both nosocomial or community acquired, but they are more of a threat to hospital patients. This is related to hospitals carrying more virulent strains of the organism, due to continuous use of antibiotics and disinfectants.

S. epidermidis is also a major concern for people with catheters or other surgical implants because it is known to cause biofilms that grow on these devices.

Yes, staphylococcus epidermidis, can be transferred from the skin. It usually infects hospital patients who are elderly or very ill. You may be at more risk if you have had frequent, long-term, or intensive use of antibiotics. Intravenous drug users and persons with long-term illnesses or who are immuno-suppressed are also at increased risk.

The infection can develop in an open wound such as a bedsore or when there is a tube such as a urinary catheter that enters the body. It rarely infects healthy people. I have a bartender friend who did contract it a year ago, and she is otherwise a healthy individual.