Hello. Today, I was drinking coffee with my friend at the city mall. We were talking about the dogs. She told me that her friend went to the Greece, for summer vacations, and she left Rex, beautiful dog in her place, so my friend needs to take care of him for a while. She never had a dog, and this is a big commitment for her. She told me that she is feeding this dog only with frozen, raw food, because she doesn’t have a time to feed him on some other way.

I am not sure that this is a good idea. I even told this to her.

Do you know, are there any risks of feeding your dog frozen raw food? 

Unfortunately there are. Just today a friend sent me an article about it.

I thought it is completely safe but it turns out that raw state of the food and the presence of moisture in it provide the perfect environment for the growth of pathogenic organisms. :/

Now my logic was, in the wild prey foods are full of microorganisms so that should not be a problem for our dogs. But I was wrong. Our dogs are not immunologically adapted to these organisms like carnivores usually are. And freezing the food  puts pathogens in a state of arrest but it does not destroy them. 

I had no idea. I’ve been feeding my dog raw frozen food for over a year now. She had some problems with her digestive system and this man whom I know told me I should consider raw food. I liked the idea and ever since we’ve been eating raw frozen food.
Is it really that bad? I always thought freezing destroys those pathogens you’re mentioning. Do you think I should not be feeding her that anymore? I’d like if more people came here to discuss this topic, I’d love to hear other people’s opinions on this.
In the meanwhile, Rita says she loves the food, she didn’t notice any pathogens. ;)

Hahaha Rita probably wouldn’t mind you feeding her with ice cream and Nutella every day, but that doesn’t mean that that is good for her.

If you ask me, you shouldn’t be feeding her with raw frozen food. The above explanation is right on place, I don’t have anything to add.

What you should be doing is cooking for her. I prefer cooking to dry food. Use vegetables (many of them are a lot healthier when they are cooked- like carrots for example).You should also be cooking meat and bones. They’re good for the dog’s dental hygiene and therefore for his overall health. 

Well, unfortunately, it is healthy, but it can be dangerous as well.  It is a double-edged sword. As you already probably know, raw pet food can contain salmonella and listeria, that are the main reason why there are some risks of feeding your dog with frozen raw food. Your dog can have some infections, and the only way to avoid this is to not feed your pet with a raw diet.

Now, my boyfriend is feeding his dog with the raw food and there was no problems. His dog is healthy, but you should be careful. You can never know and you can never be sure about this. 

Haahahaha @Rubylock you have a good point there. But I’ve heard some people (who have been dog owners for years) saying that this way is probably the best way to feed a dog.
I even know a veterinarian who suggested that to my neighbor. She has a two year old male Labrador.
Now when I think about it, her lab does often have digestive problems. He might as well be dealing with some bacteria from the raw meet or something. Or maybe the vet suggested her to feed him with raw, frozen food because of those digestive problems in the first place.

When I feed my dog, I really try to give him a lot of different food, a lot of different ingredients and a lot of nutrients.  Miscellaneous foods are always my choice, so when I feed my dog I am trying to give him everything. I give him raw food, but I avoid frozen raw food. He had some stomach problems before, it was nothing serious, but since then, I am not giving him frozen raw food. Now, he is healthy, and I don’t have this problem.

But, I was wondering, how did you found out that your dog is not frozen raw food type?

Anyone?

Hm, that's a very good question. That have been bothering me for a long time, and I still don't have right answer.
I don't feed my dog frozen raw foods, as well. I always defrost it first. As for raw foods, maybe 75% percentage of my dog’s meals consists of them. He likes raw foods; he is very healthy and has a shiny hair. Of course, there is always a risk of salmonella or some other food-connected digestive problems, but I buy food for him on local market from people who come from village nearby to sell their products.